12v to 95 3/4 ton chevy conv.

vjeepguy

I am wanting to put a 12 valve out of a 98 dodge and a dodge nv4500 into my 95 3/4 to regular cab long bed. Fab isnt a problem. Curious about clutch parts, intercooler, where to get a tach signal, brakes etc. Does anybody know what I dont?

What are you gonna do with the ecm? Do you still need it in the truck or no?

Clutch you can use the gm hyd clutch system. The tach you can have a tach pick up wired into the alternator and then while they are in there have them make it a one wire set up. Gauges just transfer over the gm sensors to the cummins engine. Lights should already work from the factory.

chevycummins,
Ok cool. I need to find all the clutch stuff since the truck has a 4L80E in it now. I tried to scratch around online to find a clutch pedal assembly but no luck. Obviously. I read about having a tach pick up wired into the alt. That's probably what I'll do. As for gauges I would like a new gauge cluster with the diesel rpm range, the factory wait to start and to get rid of the PRND12. Maybe I'll just have to buy overlays. I've emailed people at gminstrumentclusters.com but no response yet. Ive been researching drivetrain stuff too. I read that I can use a GM NV4500 and put the dodge input shaft in it so I can use the chevy transfer case. I need to confirm that. That would be really nice. I currently am deployed to Africa in the Navy Seabees as a water well driller and Im trying to get all my ducks lined up in a row for when I get back and get out in June. I currently have an '05 duramax with 525hp at the wheels. Selling it to buy property and start another project. Kinda sucks I cant just walk up to the truck and look at it to figure things out. So I need to find out if I need an adapter and who makes one to go from the 12 valve to the GM NV4500.

Yes and i have that set up that i could probably part with for the right price. I have from the adapter plate to tranfer case if your interested

The cluster you could find one out of a gm diesel in that year range and switch out mine is a 94 i think i have a 95 dash there at the farm that would work for you also

What exactly do you have? Are you talking about the adapter from the 5.9 bellhousing to the GM NV4500 trans? I have the transfer case. So I guess I need the trans and the adapter. I looked on ebay a few times for a gauge cluster, no luck. You have the diesel gauge cluster for a manual? If so, I am interested. Need the clutch/brake pedal assembly too if you have a parts truck... or know someone who does. Thanks

JAS, no ecm is required for a 12 valve. Super simple all mechanical motors. Just nee the essentials like oil pressure, water temp, tach, fuel, voltage, then the add ons like a pyro, boost gauge, and fuel pressure.

Also yes i believe the parts truck i do have was a 95 diesel with the manual trans. Pretty much what i have is the trans adapter, dodge bell housing, gm nv4500, gm transfer case, and the clutch and flywheel.

Gotcha on the mechanical motor just didnt know if I could completly take it out of my truck for other functions. Wasnt totally sure what else it was controlling other than the tbi gas engine I have in it right now. Other than that Ill probably just pull the bulbs out of the gauge cluster so the check engine isnt shining all the time.

chevycummins,
Im triple checking with my cousin about the truck. It is one of our old company trucks that belonged to my uncle. Im 99% sure its mine. My cousin asked his dad if I could have it. He said sure its just sitting there. I just emailed him and Im sure he'll get back to me by tomorrow. So before I buy stuff for it I need to be 110% sure its mine. What Ill need is the gauge cluster for a diesel manual, the bellhousing to trans adapter, the NV4500 and if you still have them in you parts truck, the clutch/brake pedal assembly. I'll check with my buddy who has the 12 valve if he has the bell housing. I dont need the clutch as I will be getting a south bend dual disc. Thanks, I appreciate it!

chevycummins, Im good to go. Got the title and everything. So could you send me some pics of the parts I want to buy? Its the trans, adapter plate, gauge cluster and clutch/brake pedal assy(if you still have it). Did you go with an auto trans and you have parts now? Thanks I appreciate it.

No its in the chevy that i converted i have no time for the toy now and it just sets. Bought a house and got a kid on the way so i figure its better for someone else to enjoy the parts than just set doing nothing. I will get you some pics as soon as i get back to the farm. Pm me an email address and i'll send them as soon as i get them.

chevycummins, I cant PM anyone till I get 10 posts on here. Kinda wierd. I just talked to my buddy who knows his stuff about chevy and dodge transmissions. He says no go on the GM trans. The Dodge trans has more options for strength. So Im gonna go with that then look for a NP241DHD and then straight axle it. Sorry. I am interested still in the gauge cluster and brake/clutch pedal assy though so let me know. Thanks

He doesnt know much cause they are the same transmission. You can interchange the dodge and chevy parts. All this one is an nv4500 with a dodge input with gm output.

Why do you think so many use these transmissions on conversions. They are the same gears, shafts, syncro's, bearings, and housing. The only thing that is different is the splines on the input and output shafts.

They are not able to be upgraded either to the biger 1 3/8" input shaft, or to dodge type hydraulics. Clutch options will be more limited, and they are known to be weaker than the dodge units.

Its the same thing man the only years that the gm was not the same was 93 and 94. In 95 gm installed the same case and gears in theirs. I researched this stuff for almost 2 yrs before i made the swap.

Im not trying to say that you dont know what you're talking about at all. I just know my buddy has a lot of experience with this type of stuff. He just put a p pumped 24 valve and a 13 speed roadranger trans in a Ford F550. He also has a cummins pull truck that he quit counting how much he had into it after he hit $100K. Break rebuild break upgrade break rebuild upgrade etc. Also I want to go with the Dodge NP241DHD transfer case since its stronger. Then probably a solid axle swap...