12V turbo in 01 f350

lews930

NOT A DIESEL PRO
Anyone running a stock 12v exhaust manifold and turbo in a 01 or later f250/350? if so how is the a/c box holding up?

I installed a 3rd gen manifold and turbo for more clearance but HATE the 3rd gen noise

thank you

Mine is just fine.

swap_0021-442x330.jpg

swap_0015-442x330.jpg

do you have about 3/8 inch clearaance between the hot side and the a/c box like me? no shield for you either?

thanks

I think I have more room than that. I'll check it tomorrow and let you know.

I've got 80k miles on my swap, using a 2nd gen ATS manifold. Its tight to the AC box but I haven't had any problems with it. For the first 70k I had an S300G on it and left the stock heat shield on the AC box in place.

In the last 10k I've upgraded to an ED 62/68 and had some serious wastegate issues which caused my EGTs to run a sustained 1100-1200 for over 1000 miles while towing. After I got the turbo back off I noticed that the plastic AC box had melted a little, nothing serious but it had melted. (I took the heat shield off because it was torn when I installed the ED turbo)

I'm sure this melting was due to the seriously high underhood temps from the wastegate/turbo issues. I say run the 2nd gen manifold and don't worry about it.

Last edited:
Hey Tim. No, just looking to get rid of the 3rd gen sound. cant stand it.

Are the runners on the ATS manifold shorter than the stock mani? hard to tell from the picture. that would provide more clearance.

I'm going to reinstall my 12 valve stuff when I get back from West Virginia!

On a related note, what caan I do cheaply to make my turbo aa little more efficient? Di dI hear of compressor housing upgrade or something? cosst?

thanks

lewis

This should give you an idea. S400 and PDI T4 manifold. The tape measure is above the heater box so I could keep it straight and take the picture.

turbo_clearance_002-600x450.jpg

There must be some difference in the exhaust manifold. Guesss I 'll start looking for one