12v vs 24v tappets

bigc19

What are the advantages/disadvantages of running 24v tappets over 12v? Is there anything that needs to be done such as different push rods if 24v are used?

Also what is a good set of push rods to use in a 700ish hp truck. Thanks

24v tappets are wider, therefore have more surface area to deal with the higher load associated with higher than stock RPM multiplied by quicker than stock lift rates on any of the aftermarket camshafts available.

As far as the pushrod differences, there are differences in the ball/ends however 12v pushrods will still work in 24v tappets, although they are not "ideal". You can purchase aftermarket pushrods with 12v rocker ends on the top and 24v tappet ends on the bottom.

After doing a quick search, I am unable to find the pushrods you speak of. Could you point me in the right direction. If theyre around the same price as a decent 12 valve pushrod, I would much rather get something that works 100% on both ends. Thanks

After doing a quick search, I am unable to find the pushrods you speak of. Could you point me in the right direction. If theyre around the same price as a decent 12 valve pushrod, I would much rather get something that works 100% on both ends. Thanks

Ask Ahale2772 where he just got some from or check out the last page or two of his build thread. I think he mentioned it in there somewhere.

Agreed with big blue. When I tore down the 12 valve I bought I found the tappets pitted. 120k mi. Bought tappets from a 24 valve w 220k and they looked new.