16000GVW Work Truck, Suggestions Needed

NickTF

Single turbo turd.
I finally convinced our Vice President to listen to me and we are getting an enclosed trailer for our GeoProbe exploration rig. The rig itself is 8800lbs and with all the equipment we'd be carrying we're looking at around a 10000lb payload 11000 max which a 16000lb gvw cargo trailer should work well with. This said we're now looking for trucks. The budget should be around 35k I think (he won't give me a budget given i'm an enthusiast but was prepared to pay 47k for a roll back). Take out 10k for the trailer and you arrive at my 35k or around about.

For something they don't have to touch and can just start towing i'm thinking a 2006-2007 lbz duramax one ton is the best bet. An old 12v would be cool but given the work it would need, the scarcity, etc., it's not the easiest option. I believe a 6.0 litre ford will be under powered and not the most reliable. A 6.4 ford is an option but not sure it would be in the budget. Any input on those? Possible a dodge could be another option. I understand the 48re is a better trans than a 47re but not sure if it's up to 16k gvw up through mountains occasionaly and such.

In any event I'm up for suggestions so speak your mind!

No one has any input? I see the tow rating of the chevy is a little shy of 16k and the ford is way over the required rating but shockingly i've read of many issues with the 6.4 which scares me.

Maybe I discounted the dodge prematurely. They do have an exhaust brake right from the factory and are rated for this kind of weight as well.

If its a main tow rig, I wouldnt mess with a pickup. You can get a FL70 freightliner that will pull this fine, and can be had with HYD Brakes, so you wouldnt need a CDL. Thats where I would go. Next I would look at CC F450s, you can have those used cheap as well.

If its a main tow rig, I wouldnt mess with a pickup. You can get a FL70 freightliner that will pull this fine, and can be had with HYD Brakes, so you wouldnt need a CDL. Thats where I would go. Next I would look at CC F450s, you can have those used cheap as well.

Yeah, thing is the goal and idea is to have only a pickup truck going instead of a big truck (we had a FL80 Flatbed) and one which can be used to get around during our out of town overnight excursions (i.e. unhook the trailer and be able to get around town). Also, one we can avoid having to have two trucks going on the job as well like we previously did. Seems as if 16k GVW is just barely doable with a light truck.

I saw some 08-07 f450s which are in the price range but am a bit leary of the things i've read about the 6.4. Some say it's sweet others not so much (in stock form). I don't think the 6.0litre, even IF it was dead nuts reliable, would have enough ass to pull this kind of weight effectively.

Again these are just my opinions and questions and am interested in getting additional input.

cat powered f650... or f550 with7.3, yeah they are used.
or there are several kodiaks with cats as well. a bit more reliable and easy to find parts for that kodiak duramaxes.

I'd look at a F-450 for that...

Still a pickup "form factor" but built a little heavier since it will be seeing hard work most of it's life.

I just don't like working stuff at it's limits all the time if I can help it.

What about a dodge 4500 or 5500 with a flat bed? The 6.7 should be up to it.

Thanks guys for your input. At this time the 450 is the best option I think and I definitely agree with not working things at their limit all the time if it can be avoided. Now, to convince the boss............

Yeah, thing is the goal and idea is to have only a pickup truck going instead of a big truck (we had a FL80 Flatbed) and one which can be used to get around during our out of town overnight excursions (i.e. unhook the trailer and be able to get around town). Also, one we can avoid having to have two trucks going on the job as well like we previously did. Seems as if 16k GVW is just barely doable with a light truck.

I saw some 08-07 f450s which are in the price range but am a bit leary of the things i've read about the 6.4. Some say it's sweet others not so much (in stock form). I don't think the 6.0litre, even IF it was dead nuts reliable, would have enough ass to pull this kind of weight effectively.

Again these are just my opinions and questions and am interested in getting additional input.

My friend has a 2010 F450 6.4L with utility body and he loves it . He also has an 08 F350 crew dually 6.4L and he has put almost 80k on it with only a couple issues and most were caused by him . He almost never drives the f350 himself anymore he likes the F450 so much . I just installed a MC series plow on it which weighs 1370 lbs and you would almost not even know its there .

I don't think the 6.0litre, even IF it was dead nuts reliable, would have enough ass to pull this kind of weight effectively.

My 06 350 hated pulling 12k. It would barely top hills around here doing 35

I have never pulled a GN with a 6.4l or 6.0l but I have been a passenger in both with an equal load in tow. The 6.4l was actually a very nice tow rig, it felt as if it had double to power of the 6.0l and honestly towed almost as well as an '07.5 LMM. I wouldn't hesitate with a 6.4l especially if it will live its life being used for business it SHOULD not be abused with power adders and poor maintance. I would deffinitely look into an F450 or F550 truck with that kind of weight to be in tow most the time.

anything over a 1 ton will put it over the 26k combo limit i beleive and it will be a class A required vehicle.

anything over a 1 ton will put it over the 26k combo limit i beleive and it will be a class A required vehicle.

As far as I undertand pretty much anything over GCVWR of 26,000 (26,001 and up) in which more than 10000 of that GCVWR is being towed it requires a class A. GCVWR over 26,001 so long as less than 10,000 of that GCVWR is in tow only requires classB.

As far as I undertand pretty much anything over GCVWR of 26,000 (26,001 and up) in which more than 10000 of that GCVWR is being towed it requires a class A. GCVWR over 26,001 so long as less than 10,000 of that GCVWR is in tow only requires classB.

No if i remeber my cdl stuff right class B is for no trailer combo, like a tandem dump truck or cement mixer, while a C is for a combination of vehicles over 26k. I dont need a class C when i hook up to a 14k trailer with my drw but i do when i hook up to my drw tandem trailer

Class A is any combo with a combined RATED GVCWR over 26000. Even if you had a half ton pick up with a large trailer that combo might warrant the Class A license. Class B is for straight trucks only. From the sound of it your F-450 will probably have a gvwr of 15-17k from the factory so any trailer with a 9k-11k gvwr will put you at the 26k mark. Get a class a to be safe and good luck, lastly get the largest truck you can afford and makes sense to drive it always best to have a larger truck.

You can't tow the trailer in question with that truck without a CDL.

BTW type of brakes has nothing to do with wethere or not you need a CDL.

No if i remeber my cdl stuff right class B is for no trailer combo, like a tandem dump truck or cement mixer, while a C is for a combination of vehicles over 26k. I dont need a class C when i hook up to a 14k trailer with my drw but i do when i hook up to my drw tandem trailer

You can tow up to 10k with a class B.

Class C is for combos UNDER 26k.

Class A is any combo with a combined RATED GVCWR over 26000. Even if you had a half ton pick up with a large trailer that combo might warrant the Class A license. Class B is for straight trucks only. QUOTE]

Class A = CGVWR of 26k+ when it include a trialer of 10k+ GVWR.

Class B = GVWR of 26k+ and can tow 10k or less trailer.

Class A = CGVWR of 26k+ when it include a trialer of 10k+ GVWR.

Class B = GVWR of 26k+ and can tow 10k or less trailer.

Pretty much what I said.

Things and requirements have now changed once again. It looks like an 04 Chevrolet C5500 rollback with 129,xxx miles on the clock is in our future. I warned our boss of the injector issues with the lb7 duramax hopefully we won't have any issues.