16000GVW Work Truck, Suggestions Needed

Pretty much what I said.

Things and requirements have now changed once again. It looks like an 04 Chevrolet C5500 rollback with 129,xxx miles on the clock is in our future. I warned our boss of the injector issues with the lb7 duramax hopefully we won't have any issues.

Not really.

COMBINED GVWR has nothing to do with a class B. You need a class B if the GVWR of the truck alone is over 26k and with that truck you may tow up to 10k.

For example take an F550 size truck with say a GVWR of 19k and hook a trailer with a 10k GVWR to it. This rig is over 26k GCWR but the trailer is not over 10k therefore doesn't require a class A and the truck is not over 26k therefore doesn't require a class B. This example would NOT require a CDL at all based on weight.

I would go bigger as in 450 or larger just so you're not straining a 1 ton all the time. My stepdad's company truck is a 4500 Kodiak, it has a ton of room and tows very well.

Off topic Nick, but have you seen the gold Powerstroke down by you with the trash cans as stacks? :doh:

Last edited:
Not really.

COMBINED GVWR has nothing to do with a class B. You need a class B if the GVWR of the truck alone is over 26k and with that truck you may tow up to 10k.

For example take an F550 size truck with say a GVWR of 19k and hook a trailer with a 10k GVWR to it. This rig is over 26k GCWR but the trailer is not over 10k therefore doesn't require a class A and the truck is not over 26k therefore doesn't require a class B. This example would NOT require a CDL at all based on weight.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration-licensing/cdl/cdl.htm

Class A -- Any combination of vehicles with a GCWR of 26,001 or more pounds provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.

Class B -- Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR.

I see what you're saying now.

I would go bigger as in 450 or larger just so you're not straining a 1 ton all the time. My stepdad's company truck is a 4500 Kodiak, it has a ton of room and tows very well.

Off topic Nick, but have you seen the gold Powerstroke down by you with the trash cans as stacks? :doh:

The weight has dropped now to only around 10,000-11,000lbs but yeah I get what you're saying.

I haven't seen this truck I don't believe. I did see a 6.4 the other day goosing his chit along side me which was retarded given the partially icy/wet roads:nail:

Yeah the tard population has been growing rapidly in the past few years.