18* or 20* of timing?

BgBlDodge

Hates hippies
Getting ready to time my truck and was planning on setting it somewhere between 18-20*. I was thinking 18* since I've got a 66 and big tires and daily drive but I'm starting to lean towards 20* since its more up top and I've got the cam. I know p-pumped 24v's like a fair amount of timing but with just studs on a stock headgasket I'm concerned about going much over 20*. Any suggestions?

7x.012 injectors at stock pop off
HD 181/210 cam
HTT 66/71/13ss
DTT auto
100 plate
Modded AFC
Stock DV
Stock GSK
.084 lines
Stock connector tubes

Just lined up the marks and put it in at TDC. Same way I pulled it out.

Stock GSK

4K's are $115 retail.........neither on timing, you'll never get that high to need it....and 445 cc's with those......why!

400+ cc's is nothing to sneeze at, add 4K's and set it at 18 then do some R&D, I'd bet you notice no difference.

Jim

Jim money has been tight these last few weeks so I haven't been able to order the GSK yet. If the truck is running on monday I'll order them.

Got the truck timed at 20.5* last night. Talk about a pain in the butt. I don't know how people do it with the front end on the truck.

Where is everyones timing at for P-pump 24v with injectors at VP pressures???

20.5* supposedly. Guess ill know if I'm close when I fire it tonight.

Finished my P-pump conversion yesterday and we set it at 24.5*. Just wondering if thats enough timing for 4500 rpms with a non-benched 180 pump.

Who told me what? That I timed my truck at 20.5* (which is what JIT asked)? The dial indicator told me that I timed my truck at that. Now, is that what it is at the injector? I'm gonna have to go with no. But until I put a light on it and find out just exactly what it's at at the injector I'm going to call it 20.5*.

You made it sound as if everyone was using 20.5° static advance, since the previous post asked the question.

You made it sound as if everyone was using 20.5° static advance, since the previous post asked the question.
I figure different people run different static advance. So even though the question was "what is everyone running" no one can answer for everyone. So logically wouldn't it be smart to assume that people posting numbers were posting what they were running personally?

My timing is set at 6.6mm advance from Engine TDC using the #1 DV hole in the pump. I have a 180hp pump and IIRC 6.6mm=24.5*

Some one please correct me if Im wrong! Is this not the correct way to measure timing? Im new at this so these are honest questions. Not sure any or this matters but heres my starting point...

180 Pump
5k GSK
Flat plate full forward
.093 Lines
Stock AFC
Full Cut DV's
Gutted Connector Tubes
JL 7x.018 injectors
S465

Last edited:
Tyler just sent me a text. His P-pump conversion is finally complete. After 4 months & 8 oil pan drops later, he is rolling.:hehe: Congrats bud.:Cheer:

There's a more accurate way to go from millimeters of lift to degrees of static advance. Weston had it posted somewhere and I wrote it down somewhere..both are no longer.