18* timing

DisplacedOkie

Outlaw
I see some guys running 18* timing on stock head and bolts, how reliable is that? Also most injector vendors i have talked to say 18* is the sweet spot for their 90 hp injectors.Would I be better off staying at 16* for my truck? I don't plan on/can't afford headwork or studs for awhile.

I hit 20 degrees with stock headbolts, stock gasket.

Oh, I just read your post and wanted to be better than you.

I've been running 16.5* for 87k, had 100k when I bought it.

I'm prob gonna go to 18* soon, most likely just on new overtorqued stock bolts.

I'm running 370s FWIW.

16 in your case but like Dan said 20 is hard to beat if you can stand the cyl pressure.

Jim

I ran 19* with stock bolts and gasket for the longest time.

I ran 18* on a stock gasket and bolts and stock charger and injectors for almost a year but mine blew friday morning. I think it was jus coincidence that mine blew because I haven't heard of very many people who have had problems with runnin 18* maybe 19* with stock charger and injectors.

im running 18*, with 435 injectors, and a 62mm charger all on stock head bolts and gasket. i do have all the stuff to do my head just waiting for weather to b better than 9*.

Is there a difference in what the stock 12v and 24v gaskets can take? Isn't 50 psi the general concensus for stock gasket and bolts for the 24v?

Increasing the timing will increase smoke output right? Don't think I'd advance it as much as some have, but if advancing increases smoke, how much more noticeable would something like 20 degrees be? The truck has no hazing as of yet, so I'd like to keep it that way since it'll be a daily driver for a while.

Is there a difference in what the stock 12v and 24v gaskets can take? Isn't 50 psi the general concensus for stock gasket and bolts for the 24v?

Increasing the timing will increase smoke output right? Don't think I'd advance it as much as some have, but if advancing increases smoke, how much more noticeable would something like 20 degrees be? The truck has no hazing as of yet, so I'd like to keep it that way since it'll be a daily driver for a while.

itll increase smoke at peak torque, but it will reduce smoke at 1000 rpm. If you're flooring it all the time than you'll see more smoke. Its not really noticeable, since its my daily driver and im not always flooring it.

Cool, daily driving is what I'm worried about... because when you floor it, your gonna get smoke. Especially in a 12v.