18* timing

18* is a great set-up i think. eliminates a lot of smoke and will have a lot more low end power. more timing=more turbo lag. you will have smoke in higher rpm's like most people said. but not much smoke low end

That's just stupid. Everyone knows not to go over 34* on a stock hg and bolts LOL

Hell when I first got my motor back together and running I didn't have a timing kit so I pinned the pump popped the gear and just rotated the crank back. Thought I would be in the ball park of 20 "ish". Bought a timing kit checked it and I was at 30*. Ran it that way for about 800 miles on stock 80K mile bolts and new stock HG with no ill affects. Given I shaved my pistons down .060" for lower comp.

It was an "ether junkie" for those 800 miles tho....

Also, so far 3000 miles on bolts @ 20* (fingers crossed)

Hell when I first got my motor back together and running I didn't have a timing kit so I pinned the pump popped the gear and just rotated the crank back.

The math around that is dia x pie(3.1416) Divided by 360 x the amount of degrees you want to advance or retard, add or subtract that from the pumps mechanical timing.......been doing it this way for 6 years now!

Jim

I timed a boys truck to 18* from stock not long ago. He went out and blew the gasket that night. I told him what could happen before i timed it at 18* and he didnt mind. I have been running 16* for several years with no problems at 40psi.

19*

When I had some work done on the truck the timing was advanced to 19*. Reading this thread makes me wonder....bit laggy, but not too bad. Maybe I should move the timing a bit? Fuel economy not what I would like, either. But that might have something to do with the operator. Maybe.

Guess I'll keep reading and see.

Thoughts?

1996 2500 Club Cab, Super B Special, New P Pump w/some "stuff", Icebox Intake (Loud!), 4" exhaust, Isspro EGT, Boost and Fuel Pressure, 4kgsk, Airdog, Goerend Billet Tranny

Last edited: