1994 F-350 conversion.

DeepSouthDiesel

Ok so here is the project. We started with a 1994 F-350 4x4 Crew cab with the 7.3IDI turbo diesel in it and a ZF5 transmission. I needed her to be able to tow a bit more and get a little better fuel mileage. So we decided to do a Cummins swap on her. I found a donor truck and out came the Turbo 7.3l IDI motor (for sale) and ZF5 transmission and transfer case (also for sale). The 7.3 came out pretty easy in about a couple of hours. The biggest problem was sliding the motor out with the turbo still on the motor. I strongly recommend removing it if you are doing it on this style truck. Now I have to go and pick up the donor and see if we are going to use the NV4500 out of it or a G56 that we have in the shop or adapt the ZF5 to her. I am going to try and keep-up with this build. So far things have gone pretty smoothly. I will post pics later of the truck and the progress so far.

I have identical truck. I,m using 12v with nv4500 and stock ford transfer. (borgwarner 1356) I'ts been proven to 1200 hp stock

Will I was wondering abt. the transfer case in this Ol girl. Man I can't stand the ratio in it! It must be a 2:1 case right? It just dose not get down low enough for me. That and I like the fact that the Dodge t-cases are shift on the fly.

Dodge transfers are notorious for grenading under torque. Richard madsen is running a stock transfer in his and is holding just fine. That is what motivated me to keep mine. You running 4.11 gears?

If you put the auto hubs back on the truck it would be shift on the fly also. Just dont recommend it.

I have to say I love the older crew cab fords they look good its just to bad ford doesnt have a better engine in them. I guess thats why you see everyone putting cummins in them. Cant wait to see pics of the build.

My biggest problem is desiding what clutch to run. I'm aiming fot 500 hp but still be able to sled, drag, tow and daily drive. Tall order huh.:Cheer:

If u retro fit the dodge 60 under the front u could have shift on the fly 4x4. I couldn't find a ford 60 front so I retro fitted a 99 dodge 60 and the results was better than I expected I fitted under the ford with no problem and the steering linkage and brake lines all mated to the ford with no problem

Ok picked-up the donor truck on Sunday. It is a 1997 dodge 2500 it has a 215pump on it and a NV4500 in it. About 200k on the odometer. So I think I am going to pull the motor this weekend and start getting into the motor this weekend to fix the dowel pin and pull the head off while I am in there to see what I am looking at in the top end. I am considering studding it while I am in there. What radiator should I try and cram in there? Also, what am I looking into to get my gauges to work in here?

I would think the Ford rad. should be good enough.You going to o-ring the head while you have it off also?

Dodge transfers are notorious for grenading under torque. Richard madsen is running a stock transfer in his and is holding just fine. That is what motivated me to keep mine. You running 4.11 gears?

Not to hi-jack this thread.................... But the above statement is BS! I highly doubt these BW transfer cases in these OBS fords can take what the 241 new process ones do. I have seen DLD's live in sled pulling with trucks with over 500hp. The borg warner cases in these pre-power stroke trucks are the same as a half ton gasser truck and are weak. I'm putting a new process in my 95 build.

If you put the auto hubs back on the truck it would be shift on the fly also. Just dont recommend it.

I agree. Why would you want your front drive train spinning anyway? Just lock the hubs in if you think you might need 4wd.

So,what does MADDOG use then????As far as I know he still runs the Ford unit.Most fellows just swap in a steel coupler to replace the aluminum coupler.

Ive personally never seen a b/w granade and so far I've sold 2 241 transfers cause some one tore the hell out of them on stock diesels. besides its easier in my opinion to use stock ford transfer.

Madsen runs a bone stock 1356. but if you want to blow things up there is always a way with anything

I highly doubt it is a bone stock 1356. Does he actually put any of that power to the ground? Um no, everytime I've seen that truck run it is spinning tires, not hooking up. I really doubt his BW case is stock. 460's don't have to work at breaking them that's why I don't want to run one in my next conversion. Granted it is driving right now in my 88 F350, but i plan on using the next truck a lot more than what the donor truck gets used for right now. Every brand have their issues, but I have seen a lot more new process tcases being used to full potential and living far out more than the BW's. That is my opinion. The 1356 is no where the size of a 241DHD in certain areas and that is what concerns me.

Madsen doesn't sled pull. He only drags and dynos and I talked to him recenty he has pulled. The big bad 12v and is puttin in a 6.7 in it and triples and it was retired the high #s

As far as is written in "Diesel Power" mag it is a stock transfer case in MADDOG's truck.I do agree with the fact he does do more spinning than hooking,only have seen video's.So,yes it does make a difference in how well it will last.There are other guys still running this transfer case that make a good bit power and it lasts.It's up to you though.If you don't feel it will be dependable enough,then go with what you know works.