1st gen 2nd gen cummins to allison parts

sdwolff98

Hey guys n gals,
End of next week I should have all the parts in hand from factory sources to attach my 2006 allison auto out of a chev truck to a 24v cummins ISB. I have a list of parts that I got from stewart stevenson recently that adapts the cummins to the allison torque converter. Also other items to hunt down are a flywheel housing off a cummins isb engine from a fed ex or freightliner truck and a sae#3 torque converter/bellhousing for the allison trans.

Do not call gm for the torque converter/bell housing THEY are completely useless. I talked to several allison transmission rebuilders and they have the housing for 240 new and as much as 150 used. this is a factory converter housing and doesnt need mods to bolt up the the cummins housing. I will be scanning the adapter plate pictures asap and posting em up here. :D :D :D :D :D

Sean

are you using the factory SAE convertor. because those have a high stall, and it'll become annoying to drive. i drive a sevice truck, GMC/CAT/ALLY. and the thing instantly revs to 1500-1800 rpm before it starts rolling. so i would deff. get the converter cut open and lower the stall. because for a lighter dd vehicle it would drive you nuts.

Joe

high stall

That is an excellent question and will be grilling the stewart and stevenson techs this week. I am waiting on a call from them anyways to find out how much I am looking at since the guy I bought the transmission from didnt know his butt from a hole in the ground when I said I needed a 2 wd transmission not a 4x4. But for 500$ for the 06 allie I wont rant too much lol :D. Will know alot more here end of this week when I grab up those parts and get the sae #3 housing for my allie on order.

Sean

cool keep us post ..take soem picyures and document it well..are you putting this in a first gen 2wd?

2nd gen

Hey there,
putting this together on a 2nd gen 24v engine. This is all being massaged and beat into my 64 3/4 gmc truck. Looking lilke I may have to do a slight 1 inch body lift to get the trans in but will be working on that here soon :D.

Sean

sae# 3 housings

Actually I have already checked destroked and I am trying to go a less expensive route to get these items. You can call just about any large truck salvage place that has freightliner trucks since they use cummins isbe and isb series engines in their trucks for that sae housing. I found several places you can get a good used one for about 150-300 bucks. I checked howards site and he has some good stuff there but I got lucky and found a supplier near my home in dallas that I am getting the sae #3 flywheel housing and all the allison adapter parts for a good price. got to wait till friday when I have a day off to go pick up the items. An allison dealer in illinois has an sae #3 bellhousing for my transmission I am ordering monday :D

Sean

One problem with the truck parts is that they slide the transmission back three inches and it may hit the tunnel, it does on the fords. The sae bell housing can be bought new for just over two hundred from Dartco Transmission - Parts/Units

The transmission controller from Destroked works the best so far and shifts more like a light truck or car. Howard's is working on a six speed but it shifts more like a truck (no coasting when you let off the throttle).

If your truck is a 4X4 your going to have to modify the transfer case with a speed sensor. If you use the out put housing on the two wheel drive transmission. it has a sensor and you can use Howard's adapter to bolt the 4X4 to it. It works out about the same cost as getting a modified 271.

Last edited:
destroked

Yeah I was looking at his controllers since no one else seems to have one for the 6 speed. no am not doing a 4x4 transmission this is all going into a 2wd truck I just got lcuky in the transmission I bought had a chunk knocked out of the torque converter housing so I picked it for 500$ wasnt going to pass it up and figured I would have it rebuilt while out of the truck and change the output shaft to a 2wd model if it can be done reasonoably enough. I have been looking at the cummins sae flywheel housings and they are maybe a half inch taler than the factory dodge flywheel housing unlike the ford/chevy sae conveter housings which bolt to the existing bell housing bolts pattern. One of the many reasons I am really beginning to like that cummins is the removable bellhousing patterns :D. I am talking with stewart and stevenson in dallas they are chuckling over a standalone contoroller setup for me with the engineers and will see what comes of it since the a2000 series transmissions use a similar programming.

Trying to be patient at this moment till I have parts in hand lol :D

Sean

kk pics are coming lol :D

Hey,
I wont have anything new to post on this week till thursday. I am going to the diesel service mechanic place and pick up the sae #3 flywheel housing and allison adapter plates. I will have some pics up by that evening of the flywheel housing, flywheel and ring gear plate adapters. The bellhousing sae#3 sould be in the next few days also so will looking at thursday and friday to get pics up of everything I have gathered for yalls viewing pleasure ;)

Sean

1ST of the puzzle pieces is in hand

Hey guys,
got home last night to discover the sae #3 torque converter housing came in via oops package service. I will be getting some pics up tonight of the allison part. It came from a 2003 A1000 transmission from a larger truck. The housings is roughly 3 inches shorter in length than the factory chevy adapter. Will get come pics of next to the chevy bellhousing as well tonight when I get home. Will be taking thursday off from work to go pick the other items up from the diesel mechanic and get that posted soon also.

Sean

Did you talk to Precision Industries for your torque converter? They carry one that will stall properly.

I'm doing an Allison swap behind my 24-Valve in my Chevy. What TCM piggy are you planning to run? The stand-alones that run from truck/RV strategies will not make you happy in a personal use vehicle. You will need that engine speed sensor from your GM bellhousing and a converter that can feed it to run the TCM. I know you said you don't want to spend what the Destroked kit costs, but it works.

I don't think anyone currently has the 6 Speed running stand-alone correctly but new stuff comes out daily.

destroked and converter

Will check out those guys for the converter I was talking to transtar here in dallas that has a truck conveter from a 3500 hd pickup for sale but will chedck out all options available. As far as the destroked kits goes I am gonna have to go in that direction. The guys at stewart say theres is designed for the big trucks not everyday personal vehicles. So destroked on that part it is.

Thanks
Sean :D

The regular converters won't fit in that shallow bellhousing you picked up. I have an extra one out of one of my Allisons sitting here and it's just over 6" deep.

A 5 Speed Valve Body will make your 6 Speed a 5 Speed. That's what I did.

I checked out your truck. It's going to be nice. Let me know what you find out on the 2WD tailhousing. I'm looking for one also.

Where did you get your bell housing from? I need to get one and am looking for the best deal. Destroked built my Ally and the transfer case is coming from transfer case express, its modified to mate to the Alison and has the electronics added. I'm probably going to use the torque converter from Howards with his adapters. and I already know that I'm going to have to use the electrics from Destroked. Howards is working on a stand alone six speed and he hopes to have one up and running early spring.

questions answered

Hey on the torque converter the flywheel housing take up the rest of it it is essentially a 2 piece instead of one piece bell housing this route. Destroked already has the 6 speed controller but is very very pissy about it atm I already talked with him regarding it. I got my housing from tkt transmission parts might also check witt transmissions as well. On the convert to 2ed I got lucky here in dallas a trans shop has the housing so all they need to order is the output shaft and reluctor speedo ring for mine. Those 2 above sources should have what you need :D..

Thanks
Sean