1st Gen into Ford Bus

The stock turbo sucks, it'd be the first thing I'd ditch. An Hx35 or he 351 is reasonably cheap and wouldn't be too hard to do during the conversion.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Which one would be better?

Either would be an improvement over the h1c, but I'd go with the 351 if it was me. It'll take a little more work than the 35, but the tight exhaust housing helps take advantage of the ve's low rpm curve.

Either would be an improvement over the h1c, but I'd go with the 351 if it was me. It'll take a little more work than the 35, but the tight exhaust housing helps take advantage of the ve's low rpm curve.

Same here.

That's the variable exhaust, it'd work but you'd need a way to control the housing. An he351cw is what I was talking about, you just need a plug for the waste gate port.

Why the 5r110? What are you using to control it?

Just a little words of wisdom, other then using the factory ecm I have not seen or heard of a truck running a PCS that works flawless. Many say they can do it(mostly swap companys) but I havent seen it.

If it were me I would switch to a 4r100 or a 47re/rh. Much simpler and easier to control.

As far as gears 3.73 should be fine it just going to take a little while getting her moving. I have a 12v in my Excursion with 3.73 have pulled 10k a number of times. Once up to speed it does just fine but getting there takes some time.

I'm trying to get my hands on a yard tractor with a 5.9 Cummins and Allison 5 speed auto transmission. All I want is the engine. Transmission would be for sale.

Using the 2004 factory PCM to control it as a standalone.

A good friend of mine has an excursion with a common rail running the stock tcm. It works surprisingly well, even with the stock Trans tuning but I think it'd be much better with some custom tunes.

It shouldn't be very far off of an hx35 really, you'll be heavy so that's going to keep the power level down. The biggest problem with an h1c is the huge exhaust housing, a VE pump cummins is about out of rpm's by the time it gets lit. That's why I suggested a 351, they complement the torque curve of a VE better than an h1 or hx35 and since you're going to have to build piping anyway, now would be the time to do it.

Using the 2004 factory PCM to control it as a standalone.

Did that can come with a 5r110 from the factory? I'm curious how you plan on using the factory PCM when I looked into this is wasn't as easy as it seemed special an 05 with Can. Could maybe do it with 03-04 but even at that it's a lot of messing around.

Not doubting you just wondering as I would love to have. 5r in my truck.

The bus is a 1996. The stock PCM will take care of gauges, cruise, etc.
The 2004 PCM will only control the 5R110 transmission.

Is it possible to get about 300-325 hp with good reliability? What would that cost?

Is it possible to get about 300-325 hp with good reliability? What would that cost?

If your just hauling your toy around and at 14k you shouldn't need that much horsepower. I found with a good exhaust and a couple turns on the fuel screw and turning the star wheel inside the pump down a turn gave my 93 d250 even with it's 3:55 gears had all the power it needed to haul my dad's goose neck trailer and my regular load of firewood.
File1074_zps3jvi9gg8.jpg

Last edited:

We have four intercooled first gens. All with hot rod pump from Mt. Diesel. One with marine injectors ('90 with banks intercooler and switzer 58-12), two with 5x14's (one with he351 and one with modified H1c), and one with 5x18's (HX35 over HT3B). All but the last truck have pulled some pretty good loads.

All of these trucks will burn themselves to the ground if you let them. You have to constantly monitor egt's and adjust throttle accordingly. We have no dyno numbers but each truck makes well over 30psi of boost. So saying they are over the 300HP mark should be a good statement.

All are or have been completely reliable. The he351 setup is the best spooling I've seen. The switzer 58-12 is a close second. We are in the process of fixing the wife up an '83 crew cab. I'm gonna do my best to install the biggest intercooler I can find and probably steel the HT3B off the daughters truck for this truck. We have another switzer 58-12 to put in line with the HT3B. My goal, if possible, is to be able to use full throttle anytime and keep the egt's somewhere around 1200 deg.