1st gen pullers, got a few questions

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Im lookin at a truck thatd make a decent rig to pull with (I think).
91.5 5 speed 4x4 dually.
Now what tranny r u guys running? Ever snap a shaft in the getrag? Who, if at all, has billet for the getrag?

Run the IC or not? It'd be pretty much a dedicated puller for the most part, but still registered for street duty sometimes.

With the monster leafspring pack in the rear of these things, have u removed any springs? Do U suggest removing any? I see Chevy's (73-87) hop all the time, n they have just as many leaves, so thats why I ask.

Thanks guys, any info you can give me is greatly appreciated!

You want a monster spring pack in a puller. With your hitch height as high as your local ruled will allow.

If you take the springs off, try not to damage the bushings. They are kinda tough to find.

We are running a lot of fuel (for a rotary pump) into an '89 non-intercooled motor. My opinion is that the truck doesn't get moving enough for an air to air intercooler to make much of a difference on the pulling track. The Getrag has faired much better than the Centerforce clutch that the previous owner had installed, but we are keeping fingers crossed that it doesn't blow with the new clutch.

If the G-rag breaks.. you'll be looking for another for parts.. or just up grading to the 4500...
the 205 case is the big difference between the 1st gens.. we found the gear ratio is way different.. I can remember the difference.. but was like 2 to 1 in the 205.. and 3 to 1 in the 241's in the 2nd gens.. I think that is going to make it a little harder on the tranny.. and Tcase...

Our springs were like butter.. thick.. but no over loads... we have stops on the springs .. if they make us have 1in of travel we can adjust.. and it quicky pulls down to the stops.. just don't want it bouncing...

We're just starting to pull the truck.. its NeedMoPower's truck.. I think we've got enough air.. and about all we're going to get out of the VE...
Bryan

What you want depends on what you can get/spend. Go with the 4500 and sell your Getrag. The 205 is 1.96:1 and the 241 is 2.72:1, you'll need to consider your gearing and tire size selection very carefully. Leave the leaf springs in the rear and front. Rearched or add-a-leafs in the front make for a bouncy puller.

PSUCE, Thanks.. I couldn't remember the exact numbers on the 205 & 241 Tcases..
Is there an upgrade for the input shaft on the Grag?? We are using a 4500 with the 1 3/8 shaft to a DD clutch...
I'd look at what some of the High Hp gassers are running for bars on the front of their trucks.. the 2gens and later don't have a front spring problem because of the front 4link.. but the front leaves can load up.. and bounce.. We're still working on something for the front..
Bryan