2.6 Protrusion Consensus

Just to throw this out there, wether it matters or not, after seeing this thread and really thinking about it, I mentioned it to the other diesel pullers that run with KOTTPA on our message board. I basically stated a rule that should be considered in our organization that says: single 2.6 turbo charger, compressor whel must protrude 1/8" inter the 2.6 bore. The 2.6 bore must be consistant for at least 3/8" infront of the compressor wheel tips. MWE groove up to .250" is allow. MWE groove must be behind the 1/8" compressor wheel protrusion.

As a tech official for the KOTTPA, I also threw the idea out there on how we would tech the trucks. All first time pullers, random pretechs, and top 3 finalist will be teched using a 2.65 plug and a visual tech only for some kind of wheel protrusion and that the MWE groove is not obviusly to far forward. Everything else would have to be teched under a protest. The KOTTPA board members just recently added a $50 turbocharger protest fee. As of now the protest procedure states that the turbo protest will consist of any means neccesary to fully inspect the turbo (turbo rule as of now is 2.6, no bushing). If the new turbo rule goes through for next season, the protest procedure will consist of the measurement of the 3/8" consistant 2.6 bore, wheel protrusion, and the location and size of the MWE groove. All measurements will be done using dial calipers and mics, and any special measuring tools if needed.

Again, as a tech officials stand point, this will make for quick pre and post teching and will make things go alot smoother. If you suspect some one of cheating beyond what we can visually see, then throw up your $50 and protest them. If the protestee does not allow us to thoroughly inspect thier charger, they are automatically thrown out. If they are found illegal, they are disqualified from that event and must sit out 2 consecutive points events. If the truck is found legal, then the protestee gets 75% of the protest fee. If the compressor cover must come off for inspection so be it, but let it be under a protest so that the pre and post teching can go through alot smoother.

so I guess fpp is not running protrusion is this correct? so there is one organization that is not following protrusion.

MWE groove must be behind the 1/8" compressor wheel protrusion.

Wow it was so simple to have it worded like that. I would suggest COTPA look at that wording. Loose the step word.

Also you could consider if someone is caught cheating, make them show up to 2 points pulls, but do not allow them to hook. Might even make them pay the hook fees.

Wow it was so simple to have it worded like that. I would suggest COTPA look at that wording. Loose the step word.

Also you could consider if someone is caught cheating, make them show up to 2 points pulls, but do not allow them to hook. Might even make them pay the hook fees.

If it is 1/8" behind the prtrusion then obvously it wont be in the 2.6" bore (Which is how I suggested it reads) if it protrudes an 1/8" so it is saying the samething????
Brandon

If it is 1/8" behind the prtrusion then obvously it wont be in the 2.6" bore (Which is how I suggested it reads) if it protrudes an 1/8" so it is saying the samething????
Brandon

Yea yours said the same thing. LOL

so I guess fpp is not running protrusion is this correct? so there is one organization that is not following protrusion.

FPP is running NADM rules in 2011. If NADM changes, FPP will very likely follow.

NADM is a no-protrude zone :D

Last edited:
Just to throw this out there, wether it matters or not, after seeing this thread and really thinking about it, I mentioned it to the other diesel pullers that run with KOTTPA on our message board. I basically stated a rule that should be considered in our organization that says: single 2.6 turbo charger, compressor whel must protrude 1/8" inter the 2.6 bore. The 2.6 bore must be consistant for at least 3/8" infront of the compressor wheel tips. MWE groove up to .250" is allow. MWE groove must be behind the 1/8" compressor wheel protrusion.

As a tech official for the KOTTPA, I also threw the idea out there on how we would tech the trucks. All first time pullers, random pretechs, and top 3 finalist will be teched using a 2.65 plug and a visual tech only for some kind of wheel protrusion and that the MWE groove is not obviusly to far forward. Everything else would have to be teched under a protest. The KOTTPA board members just recently added a $50 turbocharger protest fee. As of now the protest procedure states that the turbo protest will consist of any means neccesary to fully inspect the turbo (turbo rule as of now is 2.6, no bushing). If the new turbo rule goes through for next season, the protest procedure will consist of the measurement of the 3/8" consistant 2.6 bore, wheel protrusion, and the location and size of the MWE groove. All measurements will be done using dial calipers and mics, and any special measuring tools if needed.

Again, as a tech officials stand point, this will make for quick pre and post teching and will make things go alot smoother. If you suspect some one of cheating beyond what we can visually see, then throw up your $50 and protest them. If the protestee does not allow us to thoroughly inspect thier charger, they are automatically thrown out. If they are found illegal, they are disqualified from that event and must sit out 2 consecutive points events. If the truck is found legal, then the protestee gets 75% of the protest fee. If the compressor cover must come off for inspection so be it, but let it be under a protest so that the pre and post teching can go through alot smoother.

I kinda like these rules because of simplicity.

However, the only thing I would throw out is this: for $50, guys are going to be doing this at the drop of the hat. You know as well as I do that 5 co-conspirators will all pitch in $10 just for the sake of pissing off a winner and getting a look under his hood.

That's fine and comes with the territory. However I would not want someone inspecting it in plain view of everyone. With FPP, it's stated that the only people allowed near the protested truck are the tech official and the owner. No ying-yangs with cell phone cameras and whatnot.

I have no problem with tech tearing my truck apart and doing whatever. I just don't want my engine compartment on YouTube.

No! Make 'em show up and hook with 12" hitch height LOL

Actually in our main protest procedure rules it does state that the only people allowed near the truck is the Protestee, protester, Tech officials, and one crew member from the protestee. I believe the $50 is about right. I would rather pay $50 to see a compressor housing and wheel and find that person illegal or not rather than throw my $20 away every weekend. And also I would take $50 to pull my own compressor cover knowing i was legal every weekend lol. I don't really think it would be that big of a deal. For most trucks it would not take 5 minutes to pull the cover and inspect it, and usually even if it was an every weekend thing, most likely only one or 2 trucks would be protested. I am thinking as a tech official I get 10% of the protest fee if I'm the one inspecting that truck so that is more money in my pocket aswell lol ($500 for engine tear down protests in the gasser classes :) )

Actually in our main protest procedure rules it does state that the only people allowed near the truck is the Protestee, protester, Tech officials, and one crew member from the protestee. I believe the $50 is about right. I would rather pay $50 to see a compressor housing and wheel and find that person illegal or not rather than throw my $20 away every weekend. And also I would take $50 to pull my own compressor cover knowing i was legal every weekend lol. I don't really think it would be that big of a deal. For most trucks it would not take 5 minutes to pull the cover and inspect it, and usually even if it was an every weekend thing, most likely only one or 2 trucks would be protested. I am thinking as a tech official I get 10% of the protest fee if I'm the one inspecting that truck so that is more money in my pocket aswell lol ($500 for engine tear down protests in the gasser classes :) )

5 minutes? You've never pulled the cover off a hot turbo on a Dmax..... The year that central Ohio had an exducer rule they pulled covers after the Urbana hook - that was a rather time consuming under taking.

That is true. Never really messed with a d-max. Although really around here all we have is cummins powered trucks and just a hand full of d-max trucks that run in our orginazation. Usually the diesel truck pull last with us, and we wouldn't have a problem with letting a truck cool off.

Actually in our main protest procedure rules it does state that the only people allowed near the truck is the Protestee, protester, Tech officials, and one crew member from the protestee.

Interesting. No way would I want the protester near the equipment.

I'd pay $50 to see what all the top runners are doing. I don't think that's a great idea though.

With FPP it's a $500 protest fee and you are only allowed to state one rule or aspect of a rule to be teched...discouraging people from taking a tour of your junk.

5 minutes? You've never pulled the cover off a hot turbo on a Dmax..... The year that central Ohio had an exducer rule they pulled covers after the Urbana hook - that was a rather time consuming under taking.

Kinda depends on the equipment. Dmax guys that run short pedestals like the PPE or Bullseye without a spacer block have the turbo kinda buried deep in there. And then if the cover is a bolt/strap unit instead of v-band it is a PITA.

Run a spacer block or the tall ATS pedestal with a v-banded cover and it's a 5-minute thing.

all of this will probably be discussed at the rules meeting. The only thing about it, who ever is protesting the truck, they are going to want to see how everything measures up on what they are protesting so that they don't think that the techs are being payed off or playing favorites. What we may do is pull the cover with the protester at a good distance away from the truck and then measure everything in front of them away from the truck. Although with that said, really the only thing you can tech with the cover off is the MWE width. I don't see how you can tech everything else with the cover off the turbo.

Totally understand what you're saying.

Maybe a $200 fee would deter shenanigans and "hey lets tear everyone down" parties at the end of a pull. Because for $50 I would guarantee you that if I got protested, you'd be doing 2 or 3 more trucks at least...everyone drop your drawers time.

Apparently the $500 deterrent works because I've never seen or heard of it happening.

Every pull, I have losers screaming about something, as soon as I say write it down, specifically and bring $500 cash, and lets tear them down, this happens...

"uhhhh derr... well im just sayin...."

Which is worse? Cheaters, or whiners insisting everyone is cheating except him?

FPP is running NADM rules in 2011. If NADM changes, FPP will very likely follow.

NADM is a no-protrude zone :D

Very likely? What I heard at the rules meeting was that we are whole heartedly adopting 2011 NADM rules. Regardless of what they do. :what:

Why pull the cover for this? With a $50 dollar protest it will be a sh1t storm and anybody that comes in to pull and wins thats not a regular will be tore down. It makes it cheap to see what the top trucks run though:hehe:

Totally understand what you're saying.

Maybe a $200 fee would deter shenanigans and "hey lets tear everyone down" parties at the end of a pull. Because for $50 I would guarantee you that if I got protested, you'd be doing 2 or 3 more trucks at least...everyone drop your drawers time.

Apparently the $500 deterrent works because I've never seen or heard of it happening.

x2 and then there are the ones that will do it to everybody they have beef with just to be a beotch.

Back