2.8 12v sled pullers whats your egts

kmkdiesel

going to be moving up to 2.8 class this year, and was wondering what egts you guys are seeing pulling the sled, in my area we run nadm rules except we get to run water, so water or no water what are your egts.

1,400* consistantly last year. Have seen upwards of 2k Nick.

1400 was with running water wasnt it, if mine will be that low that will be good, i am just worried they are going to be high so just putting some small injectors in for now to see if I need to go bigger or not.

Nick just put some big injectors in an add water :Cheer:

My gauge only goes to 2K Deg. and that's where it was all last year...
1b338a80.jpg

This year i am running a Air-water cooler and i saw 1600 Degs. so that dropped my Egt's at least 400 Degs.

My gauge only goes to 2K Deg. and that's where it was all last year...
1b338a80.jpg

This year i am running a Air-water cooler and i saw 1600 Degs. so that dropped my Egt's at least 400 Degs.

Was the air-water cooler the only thing you changed?

Nick just put some big injectors in an add water :Cheer:

it will be having water injection, just a snow stage three for this year, next year Ill have a different kit with a nozzles in the head going to each cylinder, I want to try to keep it under 1600* going down the track. Probably just throwing in some small ones then get them honed out bigger if egts are intact, but its easier to make the injectors bigger then to buy a new set because I went to big is my theory, what size injectors are you guys running, my pump is pretty much maxed out for a 215 pump, not sure the cc's was told wrong, thats another reason for wanting to start out with smaller injectors if the pump is putting out alot of cc's big injectors really shouldnt be needed. (am i right on that)

EGT's aren't the only tuning. I have seen 2100+ on the logger several times. Ran the engine for 4 years as a puller, pulled the pistons out and they looked good. I know other folks that don't go above 1900 and have smoked more than one engine.

do you guys think 4x.012 injectors are too small, that is what is going in it for right now but after a few runs to see egts,power, etc i might go bigger but seeing what other guys are running i am thinking they are to small.

do you guys think 4x.012 injectors are too small, that is what is going in it for right now but after a few runs to see egts,power, etc i might go bigger but seeing what other guys are running i am thinking they are to small.

I liked my 5X.018's

I'd at least go 5x.016 but probably run 5x.018, you can always add fuel to cool it back down some

I'd at least go 5x.016 but probably run 5x.018, you can always add fuel to cool it back down some

doesnt more fuel, make more heat, that is the problem I am worrying about is with the pump maxed out, do I really need a big injector or will it just be a waste of fuel and make excess heat with all the extra fuel, but seems most are running alot bigger injector then what I am going to throw in so I think I will be more then safe in the egt range, I wanna get it tuned in right with the most power I can get out of it but I dont want 1600+ egts, and have to worry about melting it down. like most pulling trucks I have alot of money into this truck and plan on doing a full out bottom end, bore, etc build next winter on it.

doesnt more fuel, make more heat, that is the problem I am worrying about is with the pump maxed out, do I really need a big injector or will it just be a waste of fuel and make excess heat with all the extra fuel, but seems most are running alot bigger injector then what I am going to throw in so I think I will be more then safe in the egt range.

There is pretty much 4 scenarios (Injector Sizes are for Example ONLY):

Not Enough Fuel Which will cause excess heat. 5X.016's

Too Much Fuel Which Will Cause Excess Heat. 5X.018's

Enough Fuel to burn with a little excess to not be too hot. 5X.022's

Too Much Fuel that puts out the flame. 5X.025's

This is just how I think about injector sizes in relation to Injector size/uses and EGT's

doesnt more fuel, make more heat, that is the problem I am worrying about is with the pump maxed out, do I really need a big injector or will it just be a waste of fuel and make excess heat with all the extra fuel, but seems most are running alot bigger injector then what I am going to throw in so I think I will be more then safe in the egt range, I wanna get it tuned in right with the most power I can get out of it but I dont want 1600+ egts, and have to worry about melting it down. like most pulling trucks I have alot of money into this truck and plan on doing a full out bottom end, bore, etc build next winter on it.

Water, and lots of it. You're in 2.8, which they allow water in around here, use it. If you don't want to see high EGT's get some black tape and put it over the gauge, it's just part of the deal at that level of competition if you ask me. There are lots of guys who see 2000* all season with virtually no issues caused by it. Good luck this year.