2 speed power glide in a 1st gen?

WILD_PHIL

Well the ole Getrag finally gave out. Syncro's in 3rd and 4th are shot. Slowing building the truck for the drag strip. Wanted to do more motor mods before any thing else, but luck didnt see it that way. lol So I want to do an auto that will handle it. I know guys do the turbo 400s and all, but never read about the power glide. Any one done this, seen it, know any thing about it? Also what would be a good stall for it? I want to daily drive it and drag it even tho its not my primary daily driver. Any help you guys can give is appreciated.

I don't think this is going to be a good way to go. The power band on the diesel is too narrow for a two speed. It would take a ton of expensive parts to make it handle the torque. May be an option in a light weight dragster.

Read more in the drag race section, I had a glide in the Black Truck for a while. 400 the rest of the time and all the time in the Altered, but only because of the convertor

Last edited:
Daily driving would be hard to do, unless you run a GV's OD behind it.

I think it would work fine. I know Ryan tried one for awhile, but he had a lot more hp then what you are going to have. I think it would work fine with two speeds, we have torque don't need all the gears. The more you load the VE the harder they will pull. Over drive is not needed, run a 9in and some tall gears!! AND HAVE FUN!!!!

Check out chester hensly on youtube and watch his diesel mud truck. He runs a p-pumped 24valve with a 2 speed powerglide.

A built out of its ass glide is 4k.......less than half what any of our transmissions cost.

Go turbo 400 with the Art Carr converter. stock600 knows this all too well.

Go turbo 400 with the Art Carr converter. stock600 knows this all too well.

Yes sir, that got me to 8.20's in the 1/4 but Id still had rather had a Glide if I could have just had my big ass convertor to fit in the bellhousing, or should I say any bell that would work with the glide. At least at the time it was Not available, hopefully soon it will be. It will change things.....
Ryan

Yes sir, that got me to 8.20's in the 1/4 but Id still had rather had a Glide if I could have just had my big ass convertor to fit in the bellhousing, or should I say any bell that would work with the glide. At least at the time it was Not available, hopefully soon it will be. It will change things.....
Ryan
Ok, I give up. How do you present load to the turbo without a final drive ratio <2.50?

I'd just do a 47RH. Proven and not that hard of a swap. Plus a lock-up converter.

Ok, I give up. How do you present load to the turbo without a final drive ratio <2.50?

In my case it was 36" slicks and a tall gear for a crazy final drive, but my combo had the torque to drive it out. Load is what you are looking for, I saw a great deal more usefull power when I went from 34.5" to the huge 36" slicks, both in much needed traction and load. Other than that shifting early, real early. Heck I left in 2nd gear most of the time on the foot brake, thats pulling a 1.41 gear out of the hole with 60's still in the 1.22 range. That why I mentioned the 1:80 being closer to what I would have perfered, cause my 2:41 low was really just not needed....... they offered a 2.10 low but I didnt think it was worth messing with, I could still run 8.80's leaving in 2nd on just #2 diesel fuel, I liked leaving in low on the brake during bracket races for the better lights and concistancy I had on the tree, other than that I usually just left in 2nd and pulled high somewhere around the 330' and let it eat the rest of the way.....that method loaded the engine pretty well.

while I would rather just have a built 47RH for a street/strip truck, you guys DO realize that the 1st gens came with non-OD automatics for the first couple years, right? :eek:

Non OD and Non Lock up. But ever seen a diesel convertor smaller than 13" rather it be Ford, Cheby, or Dodge.... there's a reason for that. It's simple engineering based of torque output and rpm vers stator,bowl, and pump diameter. Not rocket science but..... it's relevant information if your craming a diesel into something and trying to go fast, which is odd in it's self. It's only the ones that are doing it or have done it that really get it.

In my case it was 36" slicks and a tall gear for a crazy final drive, but my combo had the torque to drive it out. Load is what you are looking for, I saw a great deal more usefull power when I went from 34.5" to the huge 36" slicks, both in much needed traction and load. Other than that shifting early, real early. Heck I left in 2nd gear most of the time on the foot brake, thats pulling a 1.41 gear out of the hole with 60's still in the 1.22 range. That why I mentioned the 1:80 being closer to what I would have perfered, cause my 2:41 low was really just not needed....... they offered a 2.10 low but I didnt think it was worth messing with, I could still run 8.80's leaving in 2nd on just #2 diesel fuel, I liked leaving in low on the brake during bracket races for the better lights and concistancy I had on the tree, other than that I usually just left in 2nd and pulled high somewhere around the 330' and let it eat the rest of the way.....that method loaded the engine pretty well.
So I'm debating a 33" tire with a 'glide and 3.60 gears. Keep in mind I need a decent amount of stall speed to get the s491 lit and still leave off a transbrake. What converter would you guess is close?

So I'm debating a 33" tire with a 'glide and 3.60 gears. Keep in mind I need a decent amount of stall speed to get the s491 lit and still leave off a transbrake. What converter would you guess is close?

Maybe you have'nt been reading the glide discussions very well, you will be limited to a 11" convertor, good luck doing anything with that and a 91mm charger. I gave it my all with countless differant vendors 11" convertors with only a 2.6 or 2.8 charger and my Glide at the time and it was a no go. You have a long, hard, expensive road ahead of you. I'd read up more on whats been done. A 33" tire with a 3.60 gear and 11" convertor in a glide will make you sick to your stomach after reflection on the cash it cost you to get there. Find a way to get a 13-14" convertor in front of it, or find another tranny that will. Look at this post as you will, but its the most sound advise your going to be given and it's free to you and cost me a fortune through the last 3+ years.....good Luck either way

Just a reminder: Just because you have a big convertor like Im speaking of certainly doesnt limit you to having to have a stall speed as low as I do, it's like any other convertor you can stator it to be as loose as you want. But know this, a crazy loose stall speed of say......3500+ in a 13-14" units effiecency wont even be compairable to what you'd find with the same in a 11". Matter of fact as tight as they could poss. even get one for me was still around 4k and it just flat sucked

Ryan

Last edited:

I'd just pick anything, all you will have is stall speed, pleanty of it. There's nothing going to be close

Hmm. The more I research, the more I wonder. The next looser state on my 48re converter is to bend more blades shut on the stator; Dave's taken >.200" off the face already. I was also looking into one of ATS's 11" turbines to get the stall speed higher. Either option is a bunch 'o cash. What's the most input torque that a glide can handle? What torque will a 4l80e with a transbrake handle?