2 speed power glide in a 1st gen?

Ryan I have been dead set on a turbo 400 for a while. Buddy just mentioned a glide and really got me to thinking. 47rh cost more then a t400, and has the electronic OD from what I read? No as others have mentioned on here, OD isnt required. But over all I am looking for the most cost effective way all the way around. Seems like the turbo 400 would be the cheapest and still do what I need it to do.

Where ya at in Texas Ryan?

Hmm. The more I research, the more I wonder. The next looser state on my 48re converter is to bend more blades shut on the stator; Dave's taken >.200" off the face already. I was also looking into one of ATS's 11" turbines to get the stall speed higher. Either option is a bunch 'o cash. What's the most input torque that a glide can handle? What torque will a 4l80e with a transbrake handle?

Probally had something to do with the reason why that light weight truck with all that Cummins power only ran 11's, you've probally had no convertor efficency as it is. You wont believe how much worse its going to get when you move down to a 11" piece. In that glide there wont be no button to push for lock up, you have to taylor together a convertor setup that works well enough on 'both' ends, that's fluid coupling for ya; no problem just a bit diff. since where working with such lower rpm's; and before you mention a new CR setup and 5k or so.... it wont matter, thats still not enough; and if it spun 6k it would'nt matter cause there would'nt be any power up there still to aid in torque coupling. Get that over sized turbo off your mind and find something to get your operating torque band back down to a reasonable diesel level and that only will help your convertor issue a ton. If your dead set on a 91mm charger you better put a 62 above it to help the situation. Remember I ran 8.20's w/o a real crazy setup at all, didnt make a whole lot of power either but what I made I got to the ground; we'll sometimes. Point is; the point to a huge turbo is huge top end power....and you wont get it to the ground through a 11" convertor at our torque/rpm range period.

What is it with everyones thinking that you have to have a charger that big, I suppose that questions relevant to what the persons HP goals are but.... 71mm single will support 1000hp all day long, a real 1k to the ground... getting through the convertor...; how much do you want to make, how much do you want to waste? None of this is meant to stir you up honestly, its questions to help you see the side and postion Ive taken and done well with, thats all. Just think, useful torque and use it to your advantage.
Ryan

Last edited:
Turbo 400 version.

164708_1507088409723_1609695689_31195304_1904112_n.jpg

Probally had something to do with the reason why that light weight truck with all that Cummins power only ran 11's, you've probally had no convertor efficency as it is. You wont believe how much worse its going to get when you move down to a 11" piece. In that glide there wont be no button to push for lock up, you have to taylor together a convertor setup that works well enough on 'both' ends, that's fluid coupling for ya; no problem just a bit diff. since where working with such lower rpm's; and before you mention a new CR setup and 5k or so.... it wont matter, thats still not enough; and if it spun 6k it would'nt matter cause there would'nt be any power up there still to aid in torque coupling. Get that over sized turbo off your mind and find something to get your operating torque band back down to a reasonable diesel level and that only will help your convertor issue a ton. If your dead set on a 91mm charger you better put a 62 above it to help the situation. Remember I ran 8.20's w/o a real crazy setup at all, didnt make a whole lot of power either but what I made I got to the ground; we'll sometimes. Point is; the point to a huge turbo is huge top end power....and you wont get it to the ground through a 11" convertor at our torque/rpm range period.

What is it with everyones thinking that you have to have a charger that big, I suppose that questions relevant to what the persons HP goals are but.... 71mm single will support 1000hp all day long, a real 1k to the ground... getting through the convertor...; how much do you want to make, how much do you want to waste? None of this is meant to stir you up honestly, its questions to help you see the side and postion Ive taken and done well with, thats all. Just think, useful torque and use it to your advantage.
Ryan

Those are reasonable statements and include some of the thoughts that keep going through my mind. Why the s491? Because I have it and I think it's paid for. Should it have a 362 on top of it? Sure. Should I be running a s371? Sure! I just got tired of snapping s300 shafts with nitrous.

I would still like to know how much torque something like a Rossler Terminator 5 or 6 'glide can handle? I have a feeling using one of those on a transbrake will snap it in half?

Not to worry, you would not get enough percentage of torque past the 11" convertor to break any hard parts in the tranny. When your looking at the higher end Rossler units like you mentioned, they have the big ass ringless Pro Mod shaft and 10 disk drum assembely that you wouldnt have to worry with even if you drove it through a nice convertor. Again, find a way to put a big convertor in front of a nice glide or forget it and go 400. Or stick with a dodge unit, there you have already your nice 13" convertor if you dont let them take all the efficency out of it. But on that end of things you can take a bunch out of it then have lock up to shore it back up for you down track....
Ryan

Not to worry, you would not get enough percentage of torque past the 11" convertor to break any hard parts in the tranny. When your looking at the higher end Rossler units like you mentioned, they have the big ass ringless Pro Mod shaft and 10 disk drum assembely that you wouldnt have to worry with even if you drove it through a nice convertor. Again, find a way to put a big convertor in front of a nice glide or forget it and go 400. Or stick with a dodge unit, there you have already your nice 13" convertor if you dont let them take all the efficency out of it. But on that end of things you can take a bunch out of it then have lock up to shore it back up for you down track....
Ryan
Hmm... The other factor I haven't figured out- I'll run a standalone controller on a CR next season. I may be able to sneak back down to a tighter converter since I'm not running static timing. It's all a giant question mark right now.

I was looking at the same thing when I was going to Pro Street my 12v, I got alot of advise from Ryan and Michael at Art Carr. Its just what Ryan is saying, if they had a way to fit a 13" converter, sure it would be a good race only setup. Until then, its just a gasser trans we cant fully utilize.

Now to the OP, Id just find a 727, have it built and go on. By the time you buy the adapter, build mounts, and get the custom converter it will be more expensive than just using a 727. Not worth it IMO anyway.

Thanks a lot speed shift. I kinda thought the same thing but wasnt sure. Heard the TF is a slow and worthless tranny, then again people say that about all Dodge trannys that arent built. Not to mention I can pick up a TF for about the same price as a used turbo 400. Guess I will look for a 727tf

Thanks a lot speed shift. I kinda thought the same thing but wasnt sure. Heard the TF is a slow and worthless tranny, then again people say that about all Dodge trannys that arent built. Not to mention I can pick up a TF for about the same price as a used turbo 400. Guess I will look for a 727tf

If your going to go that route Id def. do a old school 518a over a 727 so you can add 12v to a solinod and have over drive. Thier the same tranny just the 518 has OD. Ive found the inter. shaft is the biggest weak link in them, so Id just do the input and interm. shaft and a full manual valve body. Then you have your 13" convertor you can put the stall speed where it best fits you and go on racing...

Thats the deal on moving over to a GM tranny, is that other 12-1500 bucks from Destroked to have quality parts that will stand up to the abuse of drag racing. Billet adapter plate, billet flexplate, and 6L starter. Thier great parts just costly but the best way to go with switching over to a GM unit......

Ryan

I got into that as well with a trans that had an ultrabell on it. Nice units but wont house a 13" converter.

Dang guys, Im having some serious trouble finding a 518a tranny. Any suggestions? And I keep seeing 47re pop up when I search for a 518.

Did you want a 2wd? I think I have one laying out the garage?

I lied. I looked and it must be a 727 because there's no wiring in plug on the side of the case. :(

Well thanks for keeping me in mind sir. If you hear of any thing please let me know. Im going to the TS Diesel shoot out in May and plan on dragging the 1st gen all weekend. lol