2 wd to 4 wd converstion

stang789

I was wondering if any one can tell me how big of a job is it to convert a 2wd 2001 f250 superduty to a 4 wheel drive? I can get the truck really cheep and its very clean , im really just wanting to know will everything bolt up? I was looking at getting a truck with a v10 and converting it to a cummins, but i found this 01 with a 7.3 and its 4k cheaper then the v10 truck and cleaner im thinking converting to a 4 wd would be cheaper then a cummins converstion. thanks adam

its not cheap, and it not completly easy.. if you good at turning a wrench you can do it yourself.. i converted a '90 F-Super Duty 2wd 460 Gasser to a 7.3l Turbo diesel, 4x4.. I had a 4x4 parts truck to get my parts from which helped out, though some parts i still had too buy or build

With the superdutys its pretty easy. The holes are in the frame for hangers and shackles already. Your gonna need a front axle that has the same gear ratio as the rear, leaf springs, hangers, shackles, front and rear drive shafts, and a trans and t-case. You could use the 2wd trans, but you have to swap the tailshaft and the tailshaft housing. It can be done in a weekend if you have all the parts

thanks guys, i work on semis for a living, so i have the tools and skill just wanted to make sure i was not gonna have to mod the frame to do the job. I also know where i can get a parts trucks for cheep thanks for the input .