2000 Jeep Grand C. Limited

WYODodge

Politically Un-Correct
My wife's Jeep G.C. AWD [all wheel drive] has the standard 4.0L [6-cylinder]gas engine. It's a decent ride but the in-town fuel milage is crap and it barely has the stuff to pull a small single axle trailer with the 4-wheeler on it.

I would like to swap in a 4BT...
But would much rather put in another 6-cylinder diesel such as a Nissan
SD33T to avoid relocating engine mounts on the frame, moving the tranny/transfer case cross members and creating new front and rear drive-shafts.

6BT is most likely toooo heavy for this front end to handle along with not enough clearance, radiator to firewall.

This would be just as it is now... wife's daily driver with the once in a while small trailer towing job. Not looking for monster power on this one guys...

Anyone seen or know of anyone who has already done this?

WOW!

No replies?

Surely there is someone out there who has seen or heard of some type Cherokee diesel conversion?

you could put a 6bt in there, i am building a jeep wrangler with a 6bt in it. im running mine with a 116 wheelbase. running the 47rh and the 241 case that i shortened up 9 inches witha super short fixed yoke kit. i have removed my mechanical fan, and am installing 2 pusher fans on the outside of the radiator, and everything fits in. snug yes, but it does fit.

dang.... can you toss up a few build posts? I think that would be a great article on Comp.

Wouldn't you have to relocated motor mounts regardless? I'd think that it being an I6 that a I4 would be and easier move as opposed to the V engine. The chrysler 5.9L gasser was an option and should bolt right up. And theose are pretty common in Junkyards. It has a little better economy than the I6 but fairly comprable. Sorry this wasnt more help.

Call American expeditionary vehicles AEV@ www.aev-conversions.com. They do everything to jeeps and would be able to set you straight. There is also a company on Ebay that buys factory jeeps and put Hemi's in them, or any motor you want them to for that matter. But specialize in Hemi, and 4BT conversions.