2001 24v to a 12v

BgBlDodge

Hates hippies
If I have to rebuild my motor I'm seriously debating doing a 12v conversion on the truck. If I do it I was gonna get a complete motor from a 96-98 auto 12v. I talked to Hellmann and he said that I'd need to adapt the rear speed sensor and modify the timing case for the cam/crank sensor but that's about it. What about the cruise and tranny? Thanks.

You can P-pump a 24v, but perhaps he just wants the simplicity of a 12v.

BgBlDodge said:
If I have to rebuild my motor I'm seriously debating doing a 12v conversion on the truck. If I do it I was gonna get a complete motor from a 96-98 auto 12v. I talked to Hellmann and he said that I'd need to adapt the rear speed sensor and modify the timing case for the cam/crank sensor but that's about it. What about the cruise and tranny? Thanks.

Any info on the other things I need to look at would help, I have no clue yet on the rear speed sensor you are talking about. Haisley's sells a conversion for timing to a crank sensor.

I took a 2 months leave from the project do to work, but I'm about to get back into it.

Jim

The timing sensor does not work on all trucks. It can be a real headache to deal with. The sensor is designed to work with a 98-00 24 valve engine with a 12v cover. It will not work on a 12 valve engine without some modifications. The easiest way is to get the components from a 98 12 valve - dash, wiring, computer.

The 98-00 trucks need the ring on the crank to make everything work. It is not in a 12 valve engine, so something needs to be fabbed up to tell the computer that the engine is running. The 01-02 got all its information from the cam gear, but it is offset from the 12 valve front cover. The 12 valve cover will have to be modified to accept the cam sensor and a 01-02 cam gear will need to be used in place of the 12 valve gear.