2001 F150 4bt Swap.....

LOGANSTANFORTH

WORKIN' MAN'S DOLLAR
So my mom has this 2001 F150 with around 200,000 miles on the clock, its 4X4, 5 Speed, and 4.6 V8, it runs great and everything and the engine will still burn the tires very well, so no lack of power, BUT on down the line when the engine goes or wears out im looking at swapping in a 4BT, NV4500, NV271 T-case, 05+ Superduty 60 in the front and Dana 80 under the rear, the front im going to use a 4-Link with the 05+ axle so i can use factory Superduty coil bucks attached to the frame.....the rear im just going to use aftermarket F150 lift springs and blocks with a set of nice custom built ladder bars and tie the ladder bar mounts into the front 4 link mounts.....so my questions are this....

Since a 4BT and 6BT are close to the same ,will a dodge trucks A/C compressor and the rest of the front accessory drive bolt onto it using factory dodge brackets, im going to adapt them to the ford parts already in the body so i have A/C.....

On the cooling system, ive heard in stock form you can run these engines with no fan, just the water pump and a good radiator, im thinking i would probably have to go with a custom aluminum radiator or a bigger radiator of some type along with a set of good electric fans.....

Does anyone make an engine mount kit for the F150 to put a 4BT in it.....i can go custom if need be......

what are you guys running for an intercooler if anyone has done the swap.....im thinking i may have to build something.....possibly using some type of intercooler for a supercharged F150 if its available.....

What is the best 4BT engine to find, the price really dosent worry me as much as having the best engine possible, im going to compeltely rebuild everything anyways, i would prefer a inline pump over a rotary, i got 2 rotary dodges so i know the limitations, and if room permits i may go twins......S200 spooling a S300??? i aint sure what these engine will take cause ive never messed with them much, just messed with the 6's....

i am going to do the full engine treatment when its apart, head studs, main studs, good gasket, fire or O-ringed head, the typical 6BT stuff that will swap over......i would do all of the engine rebuilding, fabricating and installing then probably go with a twins setup and injection pump from Woodruff Diesel and have him set all of that up.....

AND NO ONE SAY "GO ASK ON 4BTSWAPS.COM", THAT PLACE GOT ME NOTHING BUT "USE THE SEARCH" AS A RESPONSE.......AND THE SEARCH ENDED UP WITH NOTHING AFTER 5 PAGES.......SO YEAH, STUFF IT, IF YOU ARE GOING TO COME IN HERE WITH THAT IDEA.......

I thought I saw this on 4btswaps I would try and find one with the p pump.

Cant say for sure but i would think that all the brakwt would transfer pretty much evrything else does. but if it doesnt it is not that hard to make ur own brakets. probably goin have to make ur own mounts. Not that diifcult to do in my opinion. the hardest part of the swap it goin to be the electrical end of it in my opinion

won't be able to use an intercooler from a supercharged f150...they're built into the supercharger I believe...

I thought I saw this on 4btswaps I would try and find one with the p pump.

Cant say for sure but i would think that all the brakwt would transfer pretty much evrything else does. but if it doesnt it is not that hard to make ur own brakets. probably goin have to make ur own mounts. Not that diifcult to do in my opinion. the hardest part of the swap it goin to be the electrical end of it in my opinion

yeah well ive recieved squat for tech over there......they said its the same thing has been posted.......yeah it has and it got zero responses......i had some specific questions and apparently they have no clue as to what they are talking about over there or they would of answered them......i dont think the electrical will be too bad because the F150 is a 5 speed, crank window manual lock truck......another thing that made me mad was that they said to build a superduty with a 6BT in it.....i dont want that cause too many people have them now, plus i already got a truck to tow heavy loads......i guess if its anything out of the ordinary they just cant handle it.......and thats why i came here.....

won't be able to use an intercooler from a supercharged f150...they're built into the supercharger I believe...

thats what i was thinking but i wasnt sure......i plan on just stripping everything out and sliding the engine, tranny and t-case down into it then figuring it out from there, i would probably have to cut to fit alot of stuff and most likely im going to have to build a radiator and intercooler but its cool, i can deal with that.....

does the np271 mount right up to an nv4500? no adaptors or anything? driver's drop? Is the 271 elec. or manual shift?

they should SURELY be able to add insight on the front eng. acces. If not, Beans on here probably can. That parts are pretty much the same as the 6bt the way I understand it so he should be able to help on which parts work best in the Fords.

Might not be a bad idea to contact Destroked as well.

yea here's a cutaway of a blower similar to a lightning
EdBlowerPicCutaway.jpg

Intercooler right on top there.

Sounds like a good plan.
But aren't you concerned about emissions on an 01 in FL? Unless it's going to be an off road truck.

emissions in fla? we have emissions? New one on me...(we don't have emissions tests...yet...not gonna talk to loud). His mom lives in Ohio though

yeah well ive recieved squat for tech over there......they said its the same thing has been posted.......yeah it has and it got zero responses......i had some specific questions and apparently they have no clue as to what they are talking about over there or they would of answered them......i dont think the electrical will be too bad because the F150 is a 5 speed, crank window manual lock truck......another thing that made me mad was that they said to build a superduty with a 6BT in it.....i dont want that cause too many people have them now, plus i already got a truck to tow heavy loads......i guess if its anything out of the ordinary they just cant handle it.......and thats why i came here.....

The manual trans will save u alot of headache, my truck is all manual besides the trans and still was a pain to wire.

I understand what u r saying I hate it when people tell what I should do. It sounds like a cool project to me. when u start it u will need to post pics.

thats what i was thinking but i wasnt sure......i plan on just stripping everything out and sliding the engine, tranny and t-case down into it then figuring it out from there, i would probably have to cut to fit alot of stuff and most likely im going to have to build a radiator and intercooler but its cool, i can deal with that.....

The tech section has all the info you ask about ,did you look there?

GO TO 4BTSWAPS AND ACTUALLY USE THE SEARCH BUTTON IT WILL GIVE YOU ANY ANSWER YOU COULD WANT ABOUT SWAPPING THE CUMMINS INTO THAT FORD.

With that said, I would recomend running your stock F150 radiator with a small electric fan (probably will never use the electric fan but its good insurance).

For an intercooler I would look into using the biggest you can use, if one from a dodge or ford wont fit then look on ebay for some aftermarket units. There is a great discussion on 4btswaps (use the search button) about aftermarket intercoolers for a great price (around $150) that have been tested up to around 45psi wich is plenty for most any 4bt when making moderate power.

As for the engine, I know of a guy here locally in the dallas/ ft.worth area of Tx that has several P pumped 4bt's for about $2500 but I would have to get you in contact with him to make sure on the price. I found the guy on craigslist and talked to him about them maybe you can find him on there again if he is still posting ads on there.

You can find the VE pumped 4bt's all over the place for around $1500-$2000 all day long on 4btswaps and sometimes on craigslist.

I also think the best deal you can get is generally buying an entire bread van with the 4bt in it, in most cases you can buy the entire van and engine for cheaper than you can buy just the engine.

The tech section has all the info you ask about ,did you look there?

yeah, there was plenty of tech for every year but 1997-2003 trucks....70's, 80's and 90's sure, nothing for the 97+ Modular trucks though...... and of the 3 or so guys that had posted something about them they all got the same response, nothing, or "use the search button"......so yes, i used the search button.....ive got more info here than im sure i ever will there......

GO TO 4BTSWAPS AND ACTUALLY USE THE SEARCH BUTTON IT WILL GIVE YOU ANY ANSWER YOU COULD WANT ABOUT SWAPPING THE CUMMINS INTO THAT FORD.

if you would of read the entire 1st post in here you would of seen the BIG, BLACK letters at the bottom of the screen that said.............

AND NO ONE SAY "GO ASK ON 4BTSWAPS.COM", THAT PLACE GOT ME NOTHING BUT "USE THE SEARCH" AS A RESPONSE.......AND THE SEARCH ENDED UP WITH NOTHING AFTER 5 PAGES.......SO YEAH, STUFF IT IF YOU ARE GOING TO COME IN HERE WITH THAT IDEA.......

does the np271 mount right up to an nv4500? no adaptors or anything? driver's drop? Is the 271 elec. or manual shift?

they should SURELY be able to add insight on the front eng. acces. If not, Beans on here probably can. That parts are pretty much the same as the 6bt the way I understand it so he should be able to help on which parts work best in the Fords.

Might not be a bad idea to contact Destroked as well.

273 is electric shift version of the 271

i am using a 3rd Gen Dodge 271, not the Ford......The dodge is a direct bolt on, PLUS if you find out out of a manual tranny truck you get bigger u-joints on the driveshaft.....

Sounds like a good plan.
But aren't you concerned about emissions on an 01 in FL? Unless it's going to be an off road truck.

emissions in fla? we have emissions? New one on me...(we don't have emissions tests...yet...not gonna talk to loud). His mom lives in Ohio though

That is correct Phil, plus there is only 2 counties in ohio with emissions laws, florida dont care, i know of 4 or 5 SD's with 12 valves in Central Florida......

The manual trans will save u alot of headache, my truck is all manual besides the trans and still was a pain to wire.

I understand what u r saying I hate it when people tell what I should do. It sounds like a cool project to me. when u start it u will need to post pics.

I am going to just pick apart all of the wiring and stuff (SLOOOOOW PROCESS) and just use or CORRECTLY modify the existing harness....

that link dont work for me......

I didnt say go ask on 4btswaps I said go search. your welcome for the help by the way LOL. Good luck with the swap.

I didnt say go ask on 4btswaps I said go search. your welcome for the help by the way LOL. Good luck with the swap.

THE SEARCH ENDED UP WITH NOTHING AFTER 5 PAGES......

that is cheap for an intercooler, im thinkin i may have to buy one of those to put in my 90 model cummins......i like how they advertise the price :bang:bang:bang why in gods name would you show the normal price of a product for less than your selling it for........

plus their tech support email dosent work.....

Last edited: