2001 ford superduty 12 valve

cushion101990

Im building a 2001 superduty with a 12 valve with a nv4500. getting everything all buttoned up but can not get the starter to crank with the key. If i jump the post on the solenoid the starter wil crank. I checked the signal wire to the solenoid and get no voltage when i check it with my DVOM and get nothing. I read somewhere that the computer needs to see the trans in park or nuetrul before it will send power to the starter. does any one have any ideas?

My dodge with the nv4500 had the neutral safety switch on the cylinder actuator rod on the pedal assembly. Its very easy to defeat. Just two wires.

I know about a nuetral safety switch on the clutch pedal but my truck was an automatic to begin with so do i have to make the computer think its in park?

On the fender well, where the frame and transmission harness connections are, you need to find the one that used to run the transmission. Keep in mind that this eliminates your safety.

Connect these two wires in your transmission harness (not the body harness):
White w/ Pink tracer
Tan w/ Red tracer

The plug on the right is the one you seek.

227295_10150250656085850_3710455_n.jpg

If your pins are in the same location as on my 99 (I'm to lazy to check that right now) it will look like this. The white wires are the neutral safety, the other two are the reverse lights. Just run them to the switch on the transmission, it takes a standard 2pin weather pack connection available at any GM dealer for about $20. I can get the P/N later if you need it.

227879_10150250656130850_6194584_n.jpg

Last edited:
So did mine. I took out all the wires that it didnt need. If yours is 4x4, it will have a several more.

ok. let me get this straight I can connect the tan/red with the white/pink and it should be fine? doesnt need a digital signal?

alright well I went out and started dickin with it till i blew a starter relay fuse. I need to go get more.

On my excursion i ran a wire back to the transmission and tied in there. But keep in mind you have to make the computer think its in neutral not park or it wont go into low range four wheel drive if its electric shift.

I have the neutral safty working on mine and the 4wl works I'll dig out my schematic and let you know

Got a wiring diagram and jemped the tan/red to the white/pink and then the violet/yell to the red/white wire and still have nothing. Is there any other sensor that i may have removed that will not let the computer start the truck until it sees power?

Scratch that. I got it now. The solenoid wasnt getting a good ground. The body underneath was a lil rudty. Thanks for all the help!!!!

5 Speed shifter and fuel shut off knob
2012-12-09_22-34-41_15.jpg

fuel shut off knob next to 4wd selector
2012-12-09_22-34-30_491.jpg

cleaned the frame and underlined everything
2012-09-14_19-20-42_492.jpg

60# valve springs and mighty diesel head bolts
2012-09-20_15-57-47_778.jpg