2003 5.9----->6.7 swap

I have a 03 6.7 swap and the 03 injectors swaped over fine, no problems. I ran a 466 that spooled like stock. would stay away from the vnt turbo and go s366 for daily driving.

I'm also under the impression the stock 03 injectors will work fine. 6.7 in a 5.9 head won't work without machining I thought?

Got me thinking on the turbo now though...guess I didn't realize the 351v was that big of a turd

The 03 head will bolt right up, but the 6.7 head has the cooling passages to match the block which is nice, and better seats. Id keep the 6.7 head, these guys are right, the 03 injectors drop in the 6.7 head. My bad.

03 injectors drop in just fine. No machining of anything to get it to work. I went with a T4 steed manifold, S366/73 .91 turbo, 90 hp tips, smarty, Hamilton cam/springs and 625 headstuds. It's a blast to drive.

Have fun with the swap!

I'm also under the impression the stock 03 injectors will work fine. 6.7 in a 5.9 head won't work without machining I thought?

Got me thinking on the turbo now though...guess I didn't realize the 351v was that big of a turd

Do you ever get to Pinedale? If you do you should call me and come look/discuss my setup. My 06 has a 6.7 bottom and 5.9 head. I'm not discussing the details on here, but you are more than welcome to come over and visit anytime. My truck is the truck that won Addicted Diesel's single turbo class last year. I have a serious buyer and it is probably headed to ohio in a couple/few weeks. call or text me anytime, I will be more than willing to help. 749-1918, thanks, Todd

If you really want to know what will have to change and what can stay send me a pm. Some mixed in bad info in this thread.

The 03 head will bolt right up, but the 6.7 head has the cooling passages to match the block which is nice, and better seats. Id keep the 6.7 head, these guys are right, the 03 injectors drop in the 6.7 head. My bad.

I do intend to use the 6.7 head. I'm hoping I can keep the 5.9 together, because after a block, rod, piston, and cam are located, I can rebuild it and put in my 84 crew

03 injectors drop in just fine. No machining of anything to get it to work. I went with a T4 steed manifold, S366/73 .91 turbo, 90 hp tips, smarty, Hamilton cam/springs and 625 headstuds. It's a blast to drive.

Have fun with the swap!

I thought so. Looked at your thread and figured I'd give it a try myself. Wish I could add more fuel, but it ain't in the cards right now.

Thanks

Do you ever get to Pinedale? If you do you should call me and come look/discuss my setup. My 06 has a 6.7 bottom and 5.9 head. I'm not discussing the details on here, but you are more than welcome to come over and visit anytime. My truck is the truck that won Addicted Diesel's single turbo class last year. I have a serious buyer and it is probably headed to ohio in a couple/few weeks. call or text me anytime, I will be more than willing to help. 749-1918, thanks, Todd

Hey Todd, yeah I actually talked to you at the dyno for awhile. Mine was the white one with the Yamaha in the bed, didn't run it, but that's the truck I'm swapping. Thanks for the offer

735312f4.jpg

9d0032ed.jpg

a3791f0d.jpg

2a7ae236.jpg

48346399.jpg

274af602.jpg

Interesting to see the external differences between a 6.7 and 5.9; the 6.7 has WAY more chit tacked on. This is the first real opportunity to see one other than under the hood where you can't see much. Hope to have the 5.9 out next week (have to study for a final, bust out two papers, and watch football this weekend...not necessarily in that order:lolly:) but the goal is to have it running right after Christmas, if not before.

7bd759e5.jpg

3559bc9c.jpg

387ddcd6.jpg

About 3 hours of dinkin around. Drop trans, unhook fuel lines, couple wires and grounds, engine mounts and time to pull it.

I had completely forgotten the HE351VE is water cooled, and that kinda had me wondering a bit, but it looks like the coolant lines to the heater are in the exact same position, and the one closest to the fender has the line coming off for supply, so I'm not expecting any issues there.

Last f***ing time I pull one without popping the head first. What a pain in the a$$.

d2eba094.jpg

4020c2c6.jpg

You can see the crank got a little hot. I think that backs up my assumption I lost the oil pump.
cdbabc89.jpg

Was going to just swap and drop, but the injectors will be sent out to be checked. I would hate to melt a piston because I didn't check them.

Tomorrow begins the process of getting things swapped over, and I'll take notes on what's different.

Last f***ing time I pull one without popping the head first. What a pain in the a$$.

I just pulled the motor out of my RCSB and decided to remove the front four cab mount bolts, two people lifted the front of the cab up, then stuck a 4x4 piece of wood between the frame and cab at the front mount. I also removed the oil pan just to make sure it would come out easy. Hopefully you won't ever have to pull the motor again, but if you do, try that

Thanks for the tip Jared.

So here's all the EGR coated stuff cleaned up. Didn't bother with the horn, since I got the GDP horn.
c560571f.jpg

ccd73bf1.jpg

388538aa.jpg

bbe79b32.jpg

af089678.jpg

2d9367cb.jpg

deae8e26.jpg

7ae46edc.jpg

Had to show my dad, who's a semi-treehugger, what all his green movement bullchit is doing to these

And my less than 10k clutch, that is worn nearly to the nubs. And all four springs are f'ked like the one shown. No clue what causes that (doubt it's normal)
11413ddb.jpg

b95a27e1.jpg

ECM mounting pads are different. 5.9 on left
bcb28e4b.jpg

Oil pressure sensors are at a different angle, but a direct connection. 5.9, then 6.7
0c87ca2d.jpg

0488ff6b.jpg

The 6.7 alternator bracket was slightly wider than the alternator, so I just swapped the 5.9 mount on. Also ditched the 6.7 thermostat housing. 6.7, followed by 5.9
1f3bbbc6.jpg

2909c5bd.jpg

Coolant temp is different. 6.7 plug on left, 5.9 on right
01f2f386.jpg

And the three I was worried about are all the same...
Crank (5.9 on right)
b5d394e0.jpg

Cam (5.9 on top)
877b269c.jpg

And FCA (5.9 on right)
49fb45fb.jpg

Here's the 6.7 with the 5.9 injector harness and wiring harness in place. One line from the bowl to the CP3 isn't going to work without some attention. Also, the WIF sensor is in different locations on the bowls; up front on the 5.9 and on the bottom on the 6.7. Harness won't reach but looks like the same plug.
56d3c780.jpg

And the 03 harness with the 6.7 valvecover
cf59d074.jpg

And here's the two different cover spacers; 5.9
62634113.jpg

And 6.7
de346667.jpg

Passenger side engine mounts are different to clear a bracket.

6.7:
d10c64d6.jpg

5.9:
8fbc879b.jpg

Bracket:
bde58748.jpg

Also, the 6.7 damper is larger than the 5.9 (9 9/16" 6.7 vs 8 3/4" 5.9) and the 5.9 fan pulley interferes. While the fan pulley and idler pulley above it are the same size, and the mount for both are identical, that 6.7 fan pulley is 1/4" thinner (1 1/2" vs 1 3/4")

Here the 5.9 pulley hits the 6.7 damper ever so slightly:
804fbe1e.jpg

6.7 pulley:
f94520f2.jpg

5.9 pulley:
1acd3238.jpg

And, the 6.7 in it's new home:snoop:
1f61501e.jpg

Should have the new Southbend clutch here next week, Exergy should receive the 5.9 injectors for testing next Wed., so I can make electrical connections and assemble the front end in the interim. Can't wait to drive the truck again!!

Great write up so far. Keep up the excellent work and the great pics too! Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Back