2003 boost question

chevota84

Does anybody know where the ECM limits boost on an 03? I can't find anything reliable on the interwebs

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Maybe. A friend of mine just put an 03 in an excursion. It has 60hp tips and no tuner with an a3k, I went for a ride with him today and it falls pretty flat on top. Boost tops out at 27-28.

Most likely will benifit more with a tuner first.

We talked about a tuner but he's scared of hurting the tranny, it actually pulls pretty strong with just the tips.

You think it does good without a tuner...wait til you get a smarty on it. Mine fueled better all the way around with a tuner on stock air and stock fuel.

What kind of trans? 4r, 5r, or did he use a dodge trans?

Low rpm torque will kill it faster than opening up the top end. If he has self control, he can set it up to keep the low end out while letting it stay alive on the top end.

It will be way more effecient with a tuner. Better fuel mileage and smoother power. A 40-50 horse tune would make a world of difference. Smarty s06 would be your best bet IMO.

Its a 5r with the stock TCM, and negative on the self control.

So nobody knows what the factory boost limit is?

32psi I believe. Or around that area.

Hmmm. That must not be the issue then. It sounds like he bought a boost cooler last night so I guess we'll see if that helps. I told him to wait and let me do some research before he spent money but that lack of self control I was talking about stepped in Lol.

Most likely loosing rail pressure in stock tuning with the larger nozzles.

Most likely loosing rail pressure in stock tuning with the larger nozzles.

Gotcha. I think he's going to get a smarty eventually but I'm thinking the 5r might not survive without trans tuning too.

I know the ez is a pressure box, do you think it would be okay with the bigger injectors?

Boost fooler did nothing so I bought him an ez and it runs much much better. Pulls strong all the way through and egt's are manageable.

The interesting thing is that the tranny shifts way better, before it would hang every shift at part throttle and now it clicks through pretty clean. I'm not real sure what inputs the ford TCM is looking for

Boost fooler only works if your making 35+ psi. It just lets the ECM see your making less boost that you actually are so it will still provide fuel.

Boost fooler only works if your making 35+ psi. It just lets the ECM see your making less boost that you actually are so it will still provide fuel.

Yep, I just didn't know at what point the cr ecm will start defueling.

The OBDII limit is 255 kPa, it wasn't designed with high boosting engines in mind. I have used 2 different OBDII readers and they both stop at 255 kPa absolute, which is just under 37 psia, or about 22 psig at sea level. It's a OBDII code issue, not a Dodge issue as any vehicle is limited to 255 kPa absolute on OBDII reporting.