2003 Built Motor Junk not even a year old

FlyingHighRacin

Ok basically my 03 CR motor that I had Engine Rebuilders of Toledo build has already crapped out on me and its not even a year old. #1 cylinder and piston are done, one broken apart wrist pin and two are on the way out, and my valves are sunk into my head from the port job and grinding they did on the seats.
My main question is if they even used the correct pistons??? The guy who I had tear it down said he has never seen pistons in a CR that didn't have the oil cooling holes in the bottom of the pistons and the one that came out of my motor didn't have the oil holes.
Here a pic of the piston and I'm hopin some engine gurus can tell me wether they are wrong or not
The number on the right side of the piston is 2243674
a2uqy8y2.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
What happened when it popped? Were you drag racing, etc, etc? Need more info on your mods, also. Maybe a pic of the whole piston.

What happened when it popped? Were you drag racing, etc, etc? Need more info on your mods, also. Maybe a pic of the whole piston.

None of the above got home from a camping trip and noticed a knocking sound that I knew wasn't normal. Took it to the guy who tore it down the next day.
Specs on motor- Bored .020 over with Cummins pistons, 12v rods that were supposed to be balanced and shot peened, all ARP bolts in the motor, Hamilton 188/220, reground crank, rotating assembly balanced to 5k, Hamilton extreme duty push rods, Hamilton HD springs, titanium retainers, ARP 425s,head ported and polished, BD dual cp3, BMS 100s brandnew from Exergy, HTT 66 on AFE mani.
The guy that tore it down said when he measured the bore it was on the very tight side of what the specs recommend.
Also the broken wrist pin and the two on the way out didn't come from the bad cylinder (#1) so either way the motor was on its way out.
Could the vavles bein sunk in the head create any of these problems? Also when I asked the guy that tore it down what would cause wrist pins to break and be goin bad he told me either being installed wrong or too much HP (which we know isn't the case). How can someone mess up installing wrist pins? Pretty straight foward isn't it?

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

the valves being set into the head like that would keep them open longer if set at .010 and .020 I would think that mixed with the cam might cause some goofy cylinder psi.

But I would say the wrist pin issue was improper installation.