2003 Z71 Tahoe - Cummins 4bta Swap

They were working a couple days ago when I looked at this thread... Strange.

... .... ...

Anyways... my bandwidth will reset in 8 days... sucks but they will be down until then. I'll try and figure out a better way of doing it cause I'm not paying for photo hosting.

Thanks for all the interest guys
-Chris

Very nice clean build and truck, a hint on the trans, a 47rh needs no aftermarket adapters or programmers, and is strong like bull. Let us know how the wmo works for you, your much braver than I in that regards.

Ive been running it off and on... no difference in how the truck runs but with short distance drives to work (1 mile or so...) I was worried about coking injectors or rings... so I decided to build a dual fuel setup.

I ran 50% W80 50% pump diesel... then engine was quieter... had the same power... hazed a bit but its burning oil so its going to.

The main point about using wmo as a fuel is to make sure its CLEAN.

So far... no adverse effects other then haze.. haze goes away on straight d2.

On another note... I found my intercooler and I will be picking up an hx35 this week I think... next weekend at the latest... more fun to soon come!

-Chris

:edit to above post for more detail:

I ran 50% W80 50% pump diesel for several tanks... then engine was quieter... had the same power... hazed a bit but its burning oil so its going to.. but then it started to haze more and more and more... after some research.. I found that the short distance drives I was taking on a daily basis (roughly a mile to work and back) was most likely causing the injectors to coke. That was a simple fix... I unhooked the fuel lines at the lift pump.. ran some short lines into a 1 gallon fuel can with a 1/2 gallon of diesel fuel, a can of seafoam, and half a bottle of diesel kleen. I let it idle through the entire mix and hooked my fuel lines back up. Haze was gone completely. After that, I decided to go with a dual tank system.

The 2nd tank setup will consist of a 20 gallon aluminum cell with a sump, a 30 plate heat exchanger, and 2 high flow switching valves from grease car. Ive got everything but the fuel cell and AN line to plumb it. That way, on short drives, I will run d2 only... and I will always start and shutdown on d2.. but on longer distance drives and trips, I will run w80 after the engine is up to operating temp. This setup should not only burn cleaner, but help prevent any further coking issues. I also intend to run water/meth while running w80 to help keep things nice and clean.

Another benefit is with both tanks full... the Tahoe will have nearly a 1k mile range :)

We'll see in the near future for sure!

Very nice clean build and truck, a hint on the trans, a 47rh needs no aftermarket adapters or programmers, and is strong like bull. Let us know how the wmo works for you, your much braver than I in that regards.

Informative hint. We were under the impression adapters and programmers were needed.

Informative hint. We were under the impression adapters and programmers were needed.

Am not sure on your point, the op may not be aware of the 47rh trans, it sounds like he is on his 3rd chevy trans, which requires a costly AFTER MARKET adapter (he mentions buying one) and a CONTROLLER for it. I believe the 47rh is strong and does not need an aftermarket adapter or controller with a 4bt, so this is something the op could consider for the future in regards to this build or a future build? YES? NO? bad advice?

Last edited:
Not bad advice...

I had considered a dodge swap... however my motor came with the adapter and not an SAE bellhousing.. the two transmissions prior where 1/2 ton 4l60e trannies that I knew wouldn't last from the get go... the first one was killed by my own mistake... 2nd was a junk converter...

The 80e will hold up to anything this motor will be giving it... and if I go a different route, it would probably be an Allison.

Another issue with the 47rh swap is I would also have to swap transfercases... would lose push button 4x4 (which I want to all or most of the stock features of the truck), and I would have to change yokes on the d-shafts.

Anyways... I had given the 47rh a lot of thought but chose to stick with gm.. it may have been cheaper overall to swap it out.. but my experience with dodge transmissions period hasn't been good... so I tend to stay away when I can.. Not saying they are all junk... I'm just biased against them.

-Chris

Seems a little out of place when he's already put together a stout 4l80e that will hold the power of two 4bt's.

Picked up huffer number 2 today... will order the rebuild kit from holset next Friday.. but probably wont be installed till august. I'm waiting on an intercooler.. which a friend of mine is coming state side for a show in terre haute mid august and he just happens to have one laying around... coming from a 2500hd.

Anyways... turbo number 2 is a wh1c that feels like its got some miles on it (or abuse based on the oraling I've now found on his fb page... :bang)

No damaged fins or contact with the housings... not much play really... but might as well do it right while its still on the bench.

20130713_171659.jpg

Cant wait to hear the 30/35 set start singing :) Should move the hoe down the road pretty good...

Speaking of... I got a rough mileage today while going to pick up the wh1c... 70/30 highway city and sitting right at 20mpg.. not bad in a Tahoe turning 35s..

More to come soon
-Chris

Looks like I scored a 4" downpipe from a 2nd gen to cut up... (I couldn't buy the flanges and bends for the price of buying the complete dp)

Also will be ordering the rebuild kit for the wh1c this week...

I've got everything but a few misc. oil fittings that I would need to go on and bolt it up... very tempting. Its going to be a month before I get the intercooler from the HD...

If all my goodies start showing up in the next week... I may just say to hell with it and bolt it up... all I really need is a good solid day for fab work.

Anyways... all the pics should be up and working tomorrow btw.. so thanks for being patient!

-Chris

Finally got everything at the house to go forward with the compound setup... rebuilt the turbo and just about have everything done...

Will hopefully be driveable tomorrow afternoon...

20130817_161211_zps7b027e1c.jpg

Cant wait to get it finished... not much left.
-Chris

Getting there...

20130823_183640_zps61513af2.jpg

Waiting for a 4" 45 degree coupler that will be here in the afternoon.. then I will be able to finish the filter/inlet pipe. The filter will sit a little higher then it is in the picture and when I get time, an aluminum heat shield/box will be added.

20130823_190938_zps3b820c62.jpg

Anyways.. Hope to take it for a test run after I get home from Scheid tomorrow.. perhaps a video if I have time.

-Chris

It lives again! Power is definitely up.. however it needs more fuel once boost is established.

I'm only seeing 28psi and peak EGT of around 1050.. denny t fuel pin and some tuning are in my near future for sure.

From the research I've been doing.. I should be able to hit my 500-600ft. lb. power goals. Ive been told that 40psi and ~190cc of fuel should do the trick burning clean. This setup is capable of 50+psi and still be within the meat of the turbo maps.

Anyways...
20130824_200032_zps7ccfc397.jpg

Here is a short clip from a stop to show how boost comes on. It hits peak boost (28psi) in 1st gear no problem. I also realized that I need to get my "366" spring that's been laying in the garage for a year installed... you can actually watch boost drop as it defuels coming close to the governor.

HX30W / HX35 Compounds - From a stop - 4bt Tahoe - YouTube

Cant wait to see what this thing can really do... and do it without blacking out the neighborhood.

I did pick up an intercooler from an early 2000s 2500hd up at Scheid from a member (khaoskustoms)... Need to get rid of the junk water/air charge cooler and get it mounted up.. however from what Ive been seeing.. its not going to be fun to get it to fit.

Anyways, More to come!
-Chris

Last edited:
Back