2006 Fuel Economy

Hmmm

so, what is the true magic pill???

EFI Live? Smarty Jr.? Smarty UDC?

and what collored pill is it?? Which tune is the true RED Pill?? Which Vendor???

I keep hearing that it is not possible to alter injection timing without adding power. I find this one hard to swallow especially if the "new" tuner software allows full control.

I am attaching what is going on in my head regarding "moving the total bulk" of fuel around with reference to crank roatation. Essentially, the pilot is more advanced, main injection event is "longer", and the post event is shorter. The total ammount of fuel is the same. The only change in power (efficiency) is due to cutoff.

To keep the power the same with a higher cutoff, then fuel injected could be reduced in the main event and the postevent moved earlier when reference to rotation.

Attachments

• fuel.jpg
    fuel.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Hmmm

and what collored pill is it?? Which tune is the true RED Pill?? Which Vendor???

I keep hearing that it is not possible to alter injection timing without adding power. I find this one hard to swallow especially if the "new" tuner software allows full control.

I am attaching what is going on in my head regarding "moving the total bulk" of fuel around with reference to crank roatation. Essentially, the pilot is more advanced, main injection event is "longer", and the post event is shorter. The total ammount of fuel is the same. The only change in power (efficiency) is due to cutoff.

To keep the power the same with a higher cutoff, then fuel injected could be reduced in the main event and the postevent moved earlier when reference to rotation.

At what load? At what RPM do you want to make the changes? Serious questions.

If you have the ability to tune duration, timing and rail pressure at any given throttle position or RPM then you can tune for the best of a every situation. The trick is knowing when you want to make changes to youe exisitng program.

Well, honestly looking to affect the entire powerband. Idle to redline, and load from 0-100% (meaning 100% of STOCK FUELING)

Throttle response is good, so dont really want to affect that. Total Power is good too. And as it's an auto, really dont want to add any power.

The main problem is that the engine uses too much fuel.

Would turning off the post injection event after say 1400 RPM help? Would like to keep that going up till then to help spool the turbo.

How about killing Pilot above 2400 or at least moving that bulk of fuel into the main event??

I think would leave rail pressure alone, or at least smoothe it out so there no odd spikes or valleys.

My wife drives this truck a lot differently than I do. She is basicly a "put it in gear and go" driver.

I run it more like my '01 when towing...keep it between 1700 and 2400 when towing. There are times when I do send it higher, but it's not there very long. I do however push the '01 harder as there is a lot more power up top.

it's a hard one to tune in on as the RPM bands and loads it gets used at are different. I would like economy of the old VE motors while cruising, and the economy of my VP truck while towing.

Well, certainly with EFI Live you have more options than anything on the market currently. I can honestly say that if I had an 06-07 I would be running EFI Live for sure. Your best bet is to speak with a tuner and tell them what you want to accomplish. I am positive there are many people wanting to do the same as you are asking so most of the R&D would be done for you.

Then get your learn on and make adjustments afterward to do a little trial and error.

For my 04 I am running a Smarty SSR with UDC tuning. I have tuned my truck and one other (although mileage wasn't the primary concern) with good reslts but still having touble controlling low load/RPM smoke. It is pretty user friendly once you get used to it.

Becareful adding to much timing. The CR engines will create a lot of heat in the cylinder that may not be apparent with an EGT gauge as you are used to. Keep an eye on water temps. Also remeber that the cam in those engines has a profile on the exhaust side for the in-cylinder EGR. This is another reason why yout mileage suffers and also why the cold air intake or exhaust have little effect. A cam will go along way but it will take some tuning to get the full benefit.

All seriousness Kliff, if it were me I would go with EFILive , call Rob and tell him what you want. He would also be able to answer a lot of your questions.

My wife drives this truck a lot differently than I do. She is basicly a "put it in gear and go" driver.

I run it more like my '01 when towing...keep it between 1700 and 2400 when towing. There are times when I do send it higher, but it's not there very long. I do however push the '01 harder as there is a lot more power up top.

it's a hard one to tune in on as the RPM bands and loads it gets used at are different. I would like economy of the old VE motors while cruising, and the economy of my VP truck while towing.

You can't think of it at a conventional diesel. I am surprised your not lugging it and not spooling the turbo belwo 1800 RPM. You need to let the tubo work if you want any kind of mileage out of it and the Torque Management shouldn't really allow it if you are under 1800 RPM with totally stock tuning.

Oh, and don't forget to remove the silencer ring! LMAO! Easy gain there!:hehe:

You are right. I was thinking the '01!! The '06 definately won't do anything usefull inder 1800.

so, to clarify, the '06 gets used from 1800 and up when towing. I actually kick it out of overdrive if I start to drop below 1900 on a hard pull.

When I pulled Vantage Hill, I had it in direct at about 2400. ran nice, but used too much fuel.

Hmmm

EFI Live from a reputable tuner will be all you need. Do a quick search, or make a thread on here asking about guys in your area. Tell them what you use the truck for, and they should set you up perfect, these are the perks of an 06-07