2006 long start

Rambo1

2006 5.9 auto 80000 miles. I've had a few of these trucks and never had this problem or even heard it. Mostly happens when it sits over night, it turns over about 3 times as much as it should , always crankssnd doesn't do it any more that day any suggestions?

not really understanding the problem. sounds like leak down. you are filling the rail up in the morning or building pressure. after, with continual starts during the day it doesn't have the problem. Could also be you are losing head pressure to the CP3 pump and it takes a bit to fill the line, which is less likely.

Most of the time when I've seen this, it's been general wear in the injectors. They will have higher return flow rates when cold and take longer to build pressure because of that. I've seen it get so bad that it took either to cold start in the winter, but it would still crank close to ok in the summer.

Shafer is spot on.

You can try the ether method. Wait until the grid heater gos out shoot it and see how fast it fires up.

ive had shafer's problem. cold weather slower crank speed, just didn't get enough pressure to the rail to kick in injection. ether to get it going till new injectors. previous owner put on ****ty tips and was oilfield.

Maxtorq - i was speaking towards pressure, but chose words of volume in err.

Nootch, in my experience, faster cranking speed "may" help somewhat, but it all boils down to temperature related clearance problems in the injector. After all, when these engines are right, they'll light right off even if the battery is so dead you only get two measly rotations of the engine out of it. It's a shame to be left stranded in those situations just because you have a set of sick injectors.

Still alittle new, so to make sure I understand it needs injectors or tips, or lift pump?

I am pretty sure mine were tip leak down. #6 was wet when i pulled it with carbon. and #5 had bad carbon build up too. someone had been nursing it along. two red tops and fresh alt.

Still alittle new, so to make sure I understand it needs injectors or tips, or lift pump?

Depends. if the tips are stock, you might need injectors, if they are aftermarket tips that were done poorly, it might just be tips. what other supporting mods are done to the truck? factory fuel filtering? reliable fuel all its life?

Truck is bone stock bought it a month ago not sure about the fuel. I have heard about a flash that could be the problem. Any thoughts?

Thinking simple here when was the last time you changed the fuel filter ?

Truck is bone stock bought it a month ago not sure about the fuel. I have heard about a flash that could be the problem. Any thoughts?

Need to check simple things first. Such as filter, fuel pressure to CP3.

I don't know about a bad flash on these year trucks, but it's possible. I have seen a bad ECM cause hard starts on the VP trucks though.

MAXTORQ, wouldn't the fuel filter usually cause roughness and low power long before a hard start? Although it's always good to put a new one on any time you're diagnosing anything performance or fuel related.

I've seen them beer canned so bad they won't start at all. Fuel filters will cause low power. Roughness well if it was bad enough to let garbage through yes.

bad injector

or one or more injectors leaking down overnight.. both have been stated already.. but if your batteries are ok, no dtcs are present, alternator and starter are good, and all your grounds are clean, the above would be most probable cause

simple solution, bump the key till you hear the buzzing from the lp, when it stops, give it a crank, and it should fire up if all is well, sometimes it could take twice for the key bump and it should be ok.. that in itself could be a good sign of too much fuel being returned to the tank... IE check valves on injector or injectors

also something else to ponder upon.. if those are original injectors, have not been kept up with two micron filtration, and have picked up garbage or crap from the bottom of the tank.. those things can cause issues as well.. most times at around 100k or so, injectors may need to be checked, tested, and even replaced... two micron increases their lifespan, but im not sure by how long though...

Last edited:
bad injector

also something else to ponder upon.. if those are original injectors, have not been kept up with two micron filtration, and have picked up garbage or crap from the bottom of the tank.. those things can cause issues as well.. most times at around 100k or so, injectors may need to be checked, tested, and even replaced... two micron increases their lifespan, but im not sure by how long though...

VERY LONG TIME. the injectors are lapped in the 2-3 mic range from factory, and a 2mic absolute filter will ensure that no particles that pass though the injector are big enough to cause abrasion. Keep the sulphur content down and they live happy long lives. Factoid of the day... Sulphur while it used to make the diesel slippery changes is molecular shape under high pressure that is found in CR type set ups and becomes an abrasive molecule that will start to wear the injector.

Cat 1R0750 2mic filter is the best i have found so far for fuel that fits on the standard FASS set up.

Back