2006 no start...

Gibson

There's no love in diesel
Truck died as if key was cut off. Tried to fire up twice then no start at all. Tach reads ZERO at all times.

New batts,
new FCA
new fuel filters
new crank and cam sensor
fresh fuel

turns over just fine, no smoke out exhaust, injectors are pulsing, had new key programmed, returned to stock setting (smarty), FCA is moving accordingly, fuel is flowing from AD to cp3, fuel is coming out of cracked injector lines.

Don't have a way to read rail pressure. Fuel did look like lemonaid so drained and flushed with new fuel from known good source, no codes present at the moment but when it died I got four codes

P0513 invalid SKIM key
P0148
P0341
and intermittanrmt power to ECM(recently cleaned terminals)

also had a 6.37v battery post to case drain On driver batt. Also with a 12.1v (left) and 12.31v (right) static charge. And in the past have had two batteries explode going down hiway.

I unhooked fan clutch and all A/c components to see if I had a shorted circuit. Same situation. Turns over and no start. Tried gas on a rag at air box. Still no start but turns over really fast off the gas.

Thinking cp3 took a dump?

What route should I check out next?

I'd say the first code is the problem. A loss of communication with the key and the ecm would cause it to not start. Some times it clears it self after a few attempt to start. You may have to get to the dealer to get them communicating again if that's the issue.

Would the SKIM module be at fault? The piece in column? New key unlocks and locks doors tho.

very well could be. It's definitely a reason for it not to start. You could try disconnecting the batteries over night but, I can't say that's the fix. Mine did the same thing a long time ago and after several time of trying to start, it cranked and haven't had a problem since. If all else fails, the dealer can get the key talking to the truck again.

Dealer programmed new key and said it was working.

yeah but, it could have lost that communication. Who knows why but, it happens. My suggestion, clear any codes and try the battery disconnect. If that doesn't work, just keep trying to start it with some breaks in between clearing any codes as they show.

I've had batts disconnected for 5 hours now. Cranked over 20-25 mines at 10-15 second and some 30-45 sec cycles. Still no codes or starts.

P0341 is the problem, cam shaft sensor, I have seen lots with the skim key code in them.
Repalce the cam sensor and se what happens
Malcolm

New cam sensor Has been put in already.

Thanks for help so far.

Did you unplug the FCA ,then tried to start it? if yes check connections on pressure sensor and coolant sensor.also put the pedal all the way to the floor and see what the tech does (when cranking).

Ok did that. And FCA unplugged made no change. Unhooked ECT and still no change. Tach stays below zero. Doesn't even twitch when key is in run position like the water, oil, and speedo do.

See if You can reach Step 4.
NOTE: The Customer Learn feature is only available on domestic vehicles, or those vehicles which have a
U.S. country code designator. This programming method also requires access to at least two valid Sentry
Keys. If two valid Sentry Keys are not available, or if the vehicle does not have a U.S. country code designator,
the Secured Access Method MUST be used to program new or additional valid keys to the SKREEM.
The Customer Learn programming method procedures are as follows:
1. Obtain the blank Sentry Key(s) that are to be programmed as valid keys for the vehicle. Cut the blank key(s) to
match the ignition switch lock cylinder mechanical key codes.
2. Insert one of the two valid Sentry Keys into the ignition switch and turn the ignition switch to the On position.
3. After the ignition switch has been in the On position for longer than three seconds, but no more than fifteen
seconds, cycle the ignition switch back to the Off position. Replace the first valid Sentry Key in the ignition switch
lock cylinder with the second valid Sentry Key and turn the ignition switch back to the On position. The second
valid Sentry Key must be inserted in the lock cylinder within fifteen seconds of removing the first valid key.
4. About ten seconds after the completion of Step 3, the security indicator in the instrument cluster will start to flash to indicate that the system has entered the Customer Learn programming mode.

Thanks I'll try it out today. I got one blank sentry key. Thanks.

Dealer has it now for SKIM module diagnosis. Just got off phone with service manager and they "think it's out if fuel". After I drained the whole fuel tank and dropped it to check for contamination and added 6-7 gallons of fresh fuel. Stealerships are great.

P0341 is the problem, cam shaft sensor, I have seen lots with the skim key code in them.
Repalce the cam sensor and se what happens
Malcolm

Cam sensors do nothing for performance on Crs.

What is the rail pressure while cranking? I would start there.

Dealer won't tell me rail pressure while cranking. Tdeakership called and said ALL SIX injectors are leaking back. I find it very odd all six injectors go out at once. I'm thinking just one is leaking down.

I would get the truck back, pull out the injectors and have them tested. I seriously doubt all six are bad, they are just idiots.

That's what I'm thinking. I went to cummins and got some rail caps to elmimate injectors to try to isolate the faulty injector(s). Thanks.

havin simular issues on a 03
here is my thread if anybody cares to read threw but basically it came n shop running but had 2 use either to start. replaced injectors no start. stock injectors bk in...no start. new ecm...no start, new CP3 no start. new camshaft pos sensor...no start. relieve valve on fuel rail is good. ?????
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-powertrain/274374-changed-injectors-want-crank-now-help.html

Might as well start a detailed thread here. A lot of people on Comp aren't allowed or refuse to support that forum

Back