2006 SRT6 Cummins Build Thread and Introduction

Yukon 3.21 ring and pinion showed up yesterday, hoping to pick up a few MPH at the track and MPG on the road since the truck has the stock 3.90 gears still.

ringandpinion321.jpg

Got the gears broke in and went out to do a little testing on the way to pickup some lunch yesterday. What do you know? There happened to be a 2010ish Coyote 5.0 Mustang going the same direction as me and happened to be thinking the same thing. We just did about a 20-90 MPH run and I got him buy a few car lengths and counting. You could say the guy was a little surprised. In his defense he was pretty young looking and pretty excited after wards (so I don't expect he had much "racing seat time") and had a few full size guys in the car but he did have an intake, exhaust, and a tune. Anyway it was satisfying to have the truck doing what I built if for.

Also its still pulling hard at 120 MPH so 3.21's might have been a little tall for the best ET with the 600HP we built this truck to have but we'lll see tonight. Headed to Orlando Speed World weather permitting to see what the new gears and locker can do. If anybody is in the area, come out and make some passes!

Sorry guys, I've been posting updates on FB and Instagram. The gears did not improve the ET at all. Although it was easily 10 degrees hotter since the last time we ran the truck. It seems as though the converter can't hold enough power in 1st as well. I've been meaning to call Revmax about a restall. We also got rid of the analog gauges in favor of an Edge CTS and a few of their boost sensors, EGT probes, and a low temp sensor. It looks like the truck never surpasses 1250F (I'm going to check drive pressure this week). I'm pretty stoked about that since this truck is still using the stock HX35 that has 230k miles on it! We can data log with the CTS and it looks like the boost curves from each charger are really nice. If I can get Edge's Mystyle software to quit crashing maybe I can post a graph.

On a side note, I let a friend and his wife take the truck down to a truck only event I couldn't attend at one of the local tracks. They both ran it all night right in the 12.4-12.5s range, the wife did pull a 12.35 off on her last run. Pretty cool to hand over a truck to someone and have them cut the same ET's as me. They both do have a bit of racing experience I must admit. Regardless, I'm very happy with this truck for the amount of work we've put into it. We haven't had to fix or change a single thing that we built since the first 50 miles we put it. Next up is to probably crank up the line pressure in the tranny as well as max and balance the pump since it's a 160 pump that has 230k miles on it as well. That should get us into the 11s.

If anyone here needs some barely used 33x10.5x16 slicks mine are available for purchase. I think I need to drop down a few inches due to the new gear ratio.

Back