2008 GMC CR 5.9/ZF6 Build!

Inbred Inline

Bastard child builder
Hey all, Currently working on a GMT 900 cummins swap with a 03 CR with 06 ecm and a ZF6, Bought the truck with a blown up duramax (Hung an injector on #2), building it for DD/tow pig to haul my chemmins 2.5 puller! Engine got a complete rebuild with 12v rods, head studs and valve springs, as did the Ford ZF6 with bearings and synchros, plan is for 600-700hp in a decent spooling setup, Nothing special :rockwoot:

Attachments

• IMG_3347.jpg
    IMG_3347.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3665.jpg
    IMG_3665.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3667.jpg
    IMG_3667.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3777.jpg
    IMG_3777.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3778.jpg
    IMG_3778.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 0
Cool project.

But I suppose I'll ask... Why not build the Duramax? All that trouble of swapping parts around to not really gain anything?

I'm puzzled to say the least. I like a lot of things about cummins engines, but no way I'd swap one in an LMM 600 hp daily driver.

Good luck and hope you like it!

Cool project, I would have pissed more people off and swapped a 12 valve into it. LOL

Ive built a couple mechanical swaps and always wanted to do a newer truck, and I've only ever seen one other 900 truck and it was only a 12v in it. I've owned a LBZ and i just like the cummins better but i really don't like dodges much, just personal preference. and its always more fun to be different imo. The cummins sure is a heck of a lot easier to work on if it needs fixing…

:bang:doh: it drives me nuts when guys put 12 valves in new stuff haha

That's because some people just drop a dinky ol VE into a nice truck and don't bother to make anything work.

Done right a 12 valve in just about anything would be awesome.

When i first started building stuff, there weren't even many 12v swaps around my area, now theres over 5 within 10 miles of my house, everybody's doing mechanicals it seems like these days, but i agree unless its done right to look factory and make factory equipment work its not even worth doing.

Hardly anyone one around here does engine swaps, especially 12 valve swaps, those are rare. So my dads 05 is still a unique setup lol

I guess I should have been more specific, clutch pedal. GM trucks didn't offer a standard after 07 correct?

No they didn't, I know there's some guys in ohio that do manual swaps on LMMs but apparently nobody wants to talk about them at all so I'm going with a 01-07 pedal to try and make fit. I'm just assuming that's what they use, I was told that they build manuals overseas yet and it does surprisingly still have the stamping in the floor for the zf6 shifter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not to my knowledge after 06, I know they discontinued manuals in half tons after 05

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update! The engine mounts are done and i have the motor setting in the truck for good. The Duramax oil pressure sending unit conveniently threaded right into the oil galley on the inline to my surprise. Also the Cummins and Duramax crank reluctctor rings are the same tooth count so all i need to do is make a bracket for the GM CKP sensor on the cummins to make the tach work. Ive started working on wiring and i had the truck powered up with a battery last night checking some things out. Considering how much factory parts are missing it hardly complained at all. Not even a reduced engine power message on the dash! Im working on tricking it into thinking the transmission is in park so i don't have to bypass too much of the factory starter interlocks. Heading down to firepunk tomorrow with the old engine harness so brandon can set me up as a standalone with my 06 ECM. :woohoo: Hoping to have it running by the end of January.

Attachments

• IMG_3798.jpg
    IMG_3798.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3797.jpg
    IMG_3797.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3796.jpg
    IMG_3796.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3795.jpg
    IMG_3795.jpg