2012 TDI Performance

syrupdawg

GA Diesel Mafia
As with everything else we have my fiancés TDI is about to get some performance upgrades. The warranty is out on it so its time to change some things up. So here is what I am thinking so far.

Start with Malone tunes for the engine and DSG trans. Will he do DPF delete tunes? Since we live in south GA I don't think we need the egr for warmup so probably just get him to turn it off. What about the dpf delete exhaust? Who makes one or should I just make my own? How loud are these with a straight pipe or should I leave the muffler? Is an aftermarket air intake worth it?

That will be the starting point BUT there will be more to come. From looking at the engine it seems fairly easy to work on. Im thinking head studs and send the injectors to exergy.

Is there a company that is doing a lot of performance with these common rail TDI engines that I can look at some parts or talk to? Just figured it would be easier to start here with some questions.

EDIT: Just saw Malone forsure does DPF delete tunes.

Last edited:
Intakes are not needed to add power. I put one on my car for the simplicity of it. I run an afe dry flow unit on mine.

Malone is the way to go. Mark does a great job.

Straight pipe these cars are loud when you delete the dpf too. We could hear one from 2 miles away when to the floor. It had a gtb turbo on it and injectors with a big tune. Made right at 320hp but was also a manual. It was also a wagon.

Td tuning is another option. I worked with then on a couple builds. whitbread performance is always pushing these cars pretty hard but he is kind of hard to get a hold of. Seach good for matt whitbread. His rep on tdiclub speaks for itself.

Td tuning is another option. I worked with then on a couple builds. whitbread performance is always pushing these cars pretty hard but he is kind of hard to get a hold of. Seach good for matt whitbread. His rep on tdiclub speaks for itself.

That and I believe he the original owner of a MK2 1.6L idi with 500k miles. He knows VW diesels for sure.

I already wrote and posted this but I assumed you had a Passat but I didn't notice any mention of which car you plan to delete.

Diesel Dubs has a DPF delete kit. Basically just a down pipe with bungs welded to it for the thermocouple and O2 sensor (I believe). Kinda pricey IMO, around $700.

Mark probably adds this to his tunes now since he figured it out in early November but have him disable the DEF injection also. I'll link to you a thread on TDI Club from a guy who deleted his B7 and loving it. Overall he spent around $2500 with tuning, labor (shop help installing the exhaust with a couple small modifications to the down pipe) and parts. From now on, he reports "track mileage." Haha.

Found it. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=397800

Hunted and pecked from a Galaxy S4.

Last edited:
Just read that whole thread, he never really said if his fuel mileage increased or not.

There may be numbers on Malones site regarding expected mpg increase but to me the price doesn't justify it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have Superb 2.0 tdi and now with new software the power lever should be at 205 hp.
I think it it's max for front weel drive , even 205hp is too much sometimes (no traction), the 4wd will be totally different

Just read that whole thread, he never really said if his fuel mileage increased or not.

Probably still enjoying the power lol. Like I said, that's for a Passat. The Jetta's have a slightly different motor and I'm not sure where the aftermarket is for them right now.

Hunted and pecked from a Galaxy S4.

Last edited:
Like stated before we have a 320hp Jetta wagon. I can't find my videos on it.

Last edited:
Subscibed. Been considering modding my 13 Passat. Sure do hate the price tag associated with the mods. 700 for a down pipe? I think not.

09 F250
05 F250
91 D250
13 VW TDI
08 BF650SRA

I went back a few pages to look for myself. He didn't mention whether it increased or not, like you said. But he did report the mileage is still around 36-38 with a high-flow cat (Pg. 6, Post #77). I would assume that's combined and hand calculated.

I put malone tuning and a home made DPF delete on my 12 Jetta. My best tank before was 49.1mpg, and average was about 46. After the DPF delete and tune I've gotten a best of a tad over 51mpg, and average about 48/49mpg. The car drives SO much better now. Mine is a 6spd, but I have heard the DSG doesn't like the extra power, even with a trans tune. They have to bench tune our ECU's, so if you don't have a local place you'll have to send it somewhere. As for the downpipe I would just make your own, the two companies that do make them are very proud of them.

There is a company called darkside developments IIRC that makes turbo kits. They are based out of the UK and they are not cheap. You probably won't have to worry about injectors, the factory injectors I"m told are able to produce over 300HP, and your tranny certainly isn't going to take that. Eventually I want to put their big charger on, I've seen other people on the forums that have the kit, but none of them have head studs, I don't think that's going to be an issue either. Your main concern is going to be the transmission.

Last edited:
I was seriously considering getting the DSG tuned and Stage II from Malone on my '12 Jetta. I keep hearing the same thing though with the DSG not liking the rise in power even with the trans tune. I want a GTD.

I was seriously considering getting the DSG tuned and Stage II from Malone on my '12 Jetta. I keep hearing the same thing though with the DSG not liking the rise in power even with the trans tune. I want a GTD.

Any links to the DSG information. I have read information on the earlier 06-11 models but not the newer DSG's on the 12 and up cars.

I've heard they will be releasing the GTD here. Have you seen the concept car, blue sport? Basically our car but a 2 seat roadster... I would love one of them.

I had just read some threads on myturbodiesel and tdiclub.

I've heard they will be releasing the GTD here. Have you seen the concept car, blue sport? Basically our car but a 2 seat roadster... I would love one of them.

GTD slated for 2015 at 184hp & 280lb-ft. YES! The Blue Sport is a sweet looking ride for sure.

Back