24 V mpg - please help

dslstax

Driver
I have a 99 24v w/ II HRVP, DDP 110 injectors, Comp box, Fass 150, Goerend triple disc converter, valve body and shafts. Here's the problem I dont run the truck hard much at all, box is always on level 2 or 3 and the best fuel mileage I have been getting is about 13 - 14 mpg ??? 3.55 gears w/ 255.85.16 tires (its a 1 ton 4x4). Anyone have any guesses to why I cant get better fuel mileage ?:bang

When was the last time you ran some fuel additive? Replaced the fuel filters? Cleaned the air filter?

Just changed the fuel filter and it needed it... lol, the air filter is k-n and fairly clean. I was running meaner cleaner but havent in awhile, wouldnt think additive would make that big of difference.

do you have a bigger than factory turbo? That will help you burn all that fuel. I have a simular set up to yours and can get 19.5 cruise on the highway. If you can keep your rpms below 1900 you will see better milage. I get the best at about 1800-1850

my dad is has the same setup as you expect for his is stock vp, juice and his 3/4 4x4. as for mileage thats about all he is getting. short trips and mostly poor fuel quality is the problem.

but what makes him mad is that my old truck with 4:10's, 5spd, drag comp, quick diesel 64, 200 ddp sticks, fass 150 and a stock vp. all rolling on 35inch bfgs. i averaged 18 on highway and 15 around town with every thing turn up all the way.

like i said poor fuel quality, short trips and now that is cold warm up time.

I have a 99 24v w/ II HRVP, DDP 110 injectors, Comp box, Fass 150, Goerend triple disc converter, valve body and shafts. Here's the problem I dont run the truck hard much at all, box is always on level 2 or 3 and the best fuel mileage I have been getting is about 13 - 14 mpg ??? 3.55 gears w/ 255.85.16 tires (its a 1 ton 4x4). Anyone have any guesses to why I cant get better fuel mileage ?:bang

What kind of speeds are you running. That's like the number one killer of fuel mileage. Then is a cold engine, plug your truck in all the time. Make sure you have a 190 degree thermo. Make sure your tcc is in full lock up (100% area) on a scanner. Make sure your VP44 isn't out, that'll kill off your timing. Take your box off, see what happens.

Two other things to check are the intake bolts and boost leaks in general.

i have stock turbo 4.10 gears edge comp stays on level 3 or 4 holley fuel pump, tci tq cv upgraded vavle body, servo run mine hard year round stay about 17 mpg winter summer get 17.5 to 18. Is that the factory tire size noramlly at 65 mph i run 2 grand would get better but dont like to drive that slow

I have the same setup as you built trans, edge comp, 100hp inj, fass, stock vp, use additive every tank and filters are always clean and drive like a grandpa and i usually hover around 14mpg also.

They dont like each other, try it with the box off.

what roachie said. see sig for mods. i get 20mpg average with the smarty and edge off, if i turn on the edge ( any setting ), mileage goes way down. if i turn the smarty on a low setting ( no timing added ), i can still get about 20 highway. city is about 17-18 IF i can keep my foot out of it :doh: really hard to do!

So you have a 1 ton 3500 diesel auto long bed dually bed with six tires and a modded truck and you expect better that 15 mpg? Not to mention 4wheel drive or more like 6 wheel drive, thanks to your auto hubs. Also what is the outside temps? Any fuel additives? Idle time? I would say your right about where you should be, your truck is a fat azzed toad, the most un arrowdynamic vehicle around and probably weighs 7500 lbs or better? If you want 20mpg or better get a single cab 2500.

IAT is also worth looking at. Even if you dont have a code for it, sometimes the sensor might be reading a little on the cold side and keeps fueling when it doesn't need to $.02

Where is the IAT sensor located on a 01 cause it doesnt have one on the intake tube like my 07.

clean your map and iat sensors. winter fuel will hurt your mileage for sure.

Where is the IAT sensor located on a 01 cause it doesnt have one on the intake tube like my 07.

It's #7

isb_components.jpg

Link: http://www.smokindiesel.com/Technical.htm