24v newb

1800joedaddy

Burn... out!
Just bought a 99 2wd driver for a commuter vehicle. Too fat to fit in a Jetta. Figured it could serve double duty, good mpg and a backup puller in case my SD ever goes down or I need 2 trucks. I bought it cheap knowing it would need a trans (47re) it's getting finished up today.

I've owned a couple P-pump and VE trucks but this is my 1st VP. The trouble I'm having is finding any of the obligatory freeby mods and longevity fixes.

Any time I google or YT 24v cummins I get Smoke videos, seriously!
The truck came with a Edge Juice with Attitude, cold air system and 4" straight pipe. The PO also said it has 80hp marine injectors....sounded sketchy, also said the trans was rebuilt 80k ago which my builder says might be legit since the TC has a sticker from 06.

I can't find much on the tuner, besides COAL. Is this a good tuner? If it does really have bigger injectors, any way to tell? Anything I can do mechanically to enhance performance, longevity and MPG? A Thread that has all this listed? I haven't had much luck looking here either, seems like most of y'all are swapping in P-pumps.

Any help or direction is appreciated.

photo.php

With that same setup I got nearly 30 MPG. I would get some injectors from one of the sponsors here, I prefer Infinite Performance. Possibly an aftermarket valve body to keep the trans happy...but I'd be interested to know what the rebuilt trans has in it. Maybe even run twins with the stock turbo and quality primary, options are nearly limitless.

I'd get a resonator and good muffler too, but I'm getting old and the exhaust drone got to me. LOL

For longevity/reliability a lot of people go to an after market pump.Lack of fuel can kill your vp.

I've got the same tuner on mine and it does fine for what I need for now. I just drove from California to Texas and back at 80mph and hand calculated 17.5 average. just my two cents

I must have an odd truck. Full 4" and there is no drone, not obnoxious at all.
My 02 was louder I guess but had 5" on it.

The tuner is good. My 4wd one ton would get 18-18.5 on the interstate under 70.
However there was a bit more to my list and probably more weight, as well as being a 6 speed.

For an automatic I would suggest a good valve body! Changed the attitude on my transmission! And a good lift pump. I had a 4" straight pipe on my 02 and have no complaints.