24v Stalled out and will not idle

super-duty

I searched and couldnt find much...

Hear is what happend I fueled up today and was pulling out of the station and my truck stalled out. It was low on fuel so I thought it may have had air in the lines so I took the filter out and it had some fuel in it so I drained it incase there was water it then filled it with tranny fluid and then started it back up with a gas rag it started no problem. Let it run at about 1200 rpms for a min. with no problems. I then let it come back to an idle and it stalled out and would not start back up on it's own. I restarted it with a gas rag ran it for a second around 1200 then let it come back to an idle and it stalled again.

No engine lights on and truck is a stock 2001 3500 with 140k on it. I hope it is the lift pump and not the IP.

Thanks in advance.

Gas rag? Tranny fluid? Not good man. Tranny fluid is not something you want to run through your IP and by gas rag I'm guessing you put gas on it and let the vapors from it start the engine which is also not a good idea. Try cracking lines 1 and 3 and bleeding them until you get fuel in them. If that doesn't work then your most likely gonna need a new LP and/or IP. Get the codes pulled and see what comes up.

Today it started ok and idled a little rough and the lp was making all kinds of noise.
Hear is what and how the codes flased

P PCU
P 0500
P 0460
P 1693

P ECU
P 0230
P 1693

Thanks

Today it started ok and idled a little rough and the lp was making all kinds of noise.
Hear is what and how the codes flased

P PCU
P 0500
P 0460
P 1693

P ECU
P 0230
P 1693

Thanks

P PCU
P 0500 - vehicle speed sensor malfunction
P 0460 - fuel level sensor malfunction
P 1693 - This is a companion code....

P ECU
P 0230 - fuel pump primary circuit malfuncion; transfer pump circuit pump out of range (diesel models)
P 1693 - Companion code....

Here is some info on codes FYI. TroubleCodes.net- engine & OBD2 Trouble Codes and Technical info & Tool Store.

I'm guessing you LP or VP44 is Fing up.

EDIT: What kind of noise? Does it sound like air is getting in the lines?

Dave it sounds like it may have air in the lines and like a grinding sound also.

This is leads me to think that the lift pump locked up or over heated yesterday. And is now working a little.

Thanks for the link I seen that yesterday I posted the codes from my cell hoping to get a quick response wile I was out. And I have read on hear that sometimes numerous codes can because by one code throwing another.

JFlagg I was told buy and couple diesel mech. that tranny fluid was good for the ip and the injectors there reasoning was that it lubricated the ip and was a little thicker than the #2 and would clean the tips of the injectors.

It wasnt straight tranny fluid I would say 50/50

I hope that was not bad advice they do it to the fleet vehicles thay service I dont know if they do it to all of them but they said to do it to my 24v with no problems.

Can anyone give me a break down on the codes as to what may have caused them and how to fix them.

P 0230 - fuel pump primary circuit malfuncion; transfer pump circuit pump out of range (diesel models)
P 1693 - Companion code....

That means your lift pump is dead.

Screw the rest, fuel level sensor and speed sensor pop up from time to time.

Well there both nice. I will look they dont keep the threads around very long every few months they delete everything that hasnt been posted of for 90 days.

Dave it sounds like it may have air in the lines and like a grinding sound also.

This is leads me to think that the lift pump locked up or over heated yesterday. And is now working a little.

Thanks for the link I seen that yesterday I posted the codes from my cell hoping to get a quick response wile I was out. And I have read on hear that sometimes numerous codes can because by one code throwing another.

JFlagg I was told buy and couple diesel mech. that tranny fluid was good for the ip and the injectors there reasoning was that it lubricated the ip and was a little thicker than the #2 and would clean the tips of the injectors.

It wasnt straight tranny fluid I would say 50/50

I hope that was not bad advice they do it to the fleet vehicles thay service I dont know if they do it to all of them but they said to do it to my 24v with no problems.

No offense but those diesel mechanics are idiots. Tranny fluid has additives in it that PREVENT slippage which is the exact opposite of what you want in the IP and LP. It's also not designed to be burnt and is designed to resist it. Not saying it won't burn, just saying it's not designed to.

No offense but those diesel mechanics are idiots. Tranny fluid has additives in it that PREVENT slippage which is the exact opposite of what you want in the IP and LP. It's also not designed to be burnt and is designed to resist it. Not saying it won't burn, just saying it's not designed to.

I wouldt say there idiots..... Try using google and what is said about it just like you said there is good and bad.

I met a guy this year that hauld small stuff around the eastern side country that was delevering some rims to me and he had fuel tank in the rear looked to be around 150 gallon. I was just making conversation with and asked was it so he could stay on the road longer he laughed and said it was for tranny fluid. So I laughed and said if your tranny leaks that bad you might want to get it looked at. He went on to explain the he runs it in fuel at 50% and that he had sense 100,001 miles. I the time of his warranty he said he went thru 9 injectors and 1 turbo. From the time his warranty was up he went thru 2 injectors and had almost 400k on the truck and it was a 7.3 powerstroke.

Go figure.

Powerstrokes don't have an injection system like we do. Tranny fluid is not good for your IP or LP. If you want to run oil through your fuel system use ash less 2 stroke oil. It's designed to burn and will lubricate your fuel system quite nicely.

Powerstrokes don't have an injection system like we do. Tranny fluid is not good for your IP or LP. If you want to run oil through your fuel system use ash less 2 stroke oil. It's designed to burn and will lubricate your fuel system quite nicely.

Ditto, but make sure it's TCW3 2 stroke oil.

Thanks Guy's I am going to start running some 2 stroke in it. I will let you know what all is dead.

Back