2nd Gen Rear Swap

Cozze44

Junkman
Rear blew up in my truck yesterday,:nail: wondering if anyone has, or how hard it would be to swap in a 3rd gen American rear?

What's your reasoning for swapping the AAM in the rear?
It wouldn't be hard to do

Check your e-mail

My e-mail? Didnt get anything.

And just want to go with something a little tougher. Not sure if it would be better to go to a Dana 80, AM 10.5 inch, AM 11.5 inch, or just rebuild the Dana 70. Tryin to weigh the costs.

Dana 80 would be your cheapest route because it's a bolt in swap, you just need the correct yoke on your driveshaft.

You would also get disc brakes unless you aquired an 01.5+ dana 80. I have been thinking about this as well.

Could always go the 14-bolt route. Cheap and strong, just not a bolt-in and go like a D80.

Just got my D80 today, looks like it'll go right in. It looks like it will go right in, I won't have the rears next to each other until later tonight. It looks like I may need some bigger U bolts for the springs, and it looks like the cup spread and size are the same as my 70, just a beefier yoke. This is def a big unit! :rockwoot:

Got all the brakes changed over, had a local shop make some U-bolts. I notice the the nose of the pumpkin is about an inch longer, anybody able to get away with using the same drive shaft to do this? It looks like I should be able to move the center carrier far enough ahead to make it work with out getting the shaft shortened.

Back