2WD vs. 4WD

If I were to build a dedicated racer, I'd go 2wd. But as a weekend warrior, 4wd makes it happen!

Anybody can make a 2wd fast, all the technology is already there. The 4wd is more of a challenge. There are more obstacles to overcome.JMHO!

Anybody can make a 2wd fast, all the technology is already there. The 4wd is more of a challenge. There are more obstacles to overcome.JMHO!

:hehe::hehe:Sounds backwards to me.

A 4wd loads its big tune, runs down the track with A/T tires and gets a good time. Throw on a set of "axle wrap bars" and get buck. Good into the 10's.

2wd NEEDS strip tires, traction bars or better, re-enforced axle and drive shaft and weight relocation. Once you have all that you prey the track is prepped real good cuz if you can't 60ft like a mofo then your run is useless. On top of all that a 2wd's take a good driver to make successful.

You just say that because you have a 2wd KindLOL

If you can get the 2wd to hook it'll win, as much as I hate to say it.

2wd period end of conversation.
One other thing, Mike whos doin the chassis and cage work on your truck? You doin 4 link right?

maybe a new thread is needed, open rear end 2wd vs open rear end 4wd, lol on the open 2wds.

:hehe::hehe:Sounds backwards to me.

A 4wd loads its big tune, runs down the track with A/T tires and gets a good time. Throw on a set of "axle wrap bars" and get buck. Good into the 10's.

2wd NEEDS strip tires, traction bars or better, re-enforced axle and drive shaft and weight relocation. Once you have all that you prey the track is prepped real good cuz if you can't 60ft like a mofo then your run is useless. On top of all that a 2wd's take a good driver to make successful.

I'm not talking about street trucks. :poke: My point is that all of the technology is there to make the chassis work well into the 7 sec range. The R&D has already been done by the gas guys. I only know of one 4x4 in that class (miss misery) and it still won't hook up. I am talking about monster truck chassis technology except applicable to drag racing.

4wd's aren't ideal for 160mph. It doesn't make sense to try and spin a T-case and front axle for sub 9 second trucks. People are running really fast with their 4wd's and I will never take that away from them. But if they put that motor in a lighter 2wd, spent the money and time to get it to hook, they'd be laughing.

I remember people telling me my truck would never hook. Proved them wrong. I don't leave at 20psi but I cut 1.8's all day long. There are also 2wd trucks on this forum that 60ft better then 4wd's.

Even with 4wd 6.4's at the same power level as me lose so much to my truck on the big end. 2wd's put more power to the ground.

At the end of the day it boils down to what you have or what you prefer. Both platforms are competitive to a point.

Duh, 2WD.
Some of these bad ass 4x4 trucks with stupid power dont relize what potintial thier giving up. Those trucks running low/mid 9's at thier weight and spinning all that ridiculous tranfercase and front axle weight are making more power than many know. Huge props to those guys that are getting it done, but Im sure they all know what thier leaving on the table, thier like any of the rest of us they've found a challenge and seeing it through; and making it work because they have some stupid HorsePower and Torque. We all find our nitch and run with it. Ryan

x2

How many 4wd top fuel dragsters are there?

2wd is more complicated and faster, but 4wd is easy, to a certain level of course.

For slower trucks (especially ET bracket racing) I think 4x4 has a huge advantage. I've done better in rental and borrowed 4x4's that I've never driven before compared to my 2WD daily driver that I've made hundreds of passes in. When you're on the edge of traction, you just can't be as consistent.

For the pure race trucks, I agree with some of the sentiments above - the really fast 4x4 guys are making huge amounts of power but would surely go faster in a 2WD. That said, there is a lot to tuning a 2WD race chassis as well, but once it is set up well and working, it can work really well. We'll probably see an example of the difference when Aaron Schaff finishes his 2WD (which I assume will get the engine from the 4x4, or at least a duplicate of it).

Regards,
Michael Pliska

I agree with the above. Mind you I will still stay with my 4x. There is a real nice sense of security when you lose traction with a 4x.

Your thread leaves many questions unanswered... Street tires for both? Max effort drag truck? What is the exact scenario?

I agree with the above. Mind you I will still stay with my 4x. There is a real nice sense of security when you lose traction with a 4x.

I think I'd be more worried when I lose traction in a 4x4 at speeds then a 2wd....