2WD vs. 4WD

Not me, I feel very comfortable in a 4x4 in low traction conditions. The biggest trick is to keep it pinned, the front end will eventually pull the back end straight again, just have to have faith. We get alot of practice with that theory up here in the winter

I have a feeling that binding starts becoming an issue on the track, where it doesn't in the snow.

2wd period end of conversation.
One other thing, Mike whos doin the chassis and cage work on your truck? You doin 4 link right?

yeah cole-

the guy that built stroked lightning. there's pics in the thread i linked of the truck he built. i just said "build me that" then i get to play the suspension tuning game, but at 5200 with 1k + ....it should be sorta competitive in pro street. i just wanna have fun and quit breaking the trucks i really enjoy driving on the street.

Not me, I feel very comfortable in a 4x4 in low traction conditions. The biggest trick is to keep it pinned, the front end will eventually pull the back end straight again, just have to have faith. We get alot of practice with that theory up here in the winter

I agree. Teaching yourself to keep the throttle pinned can be a challenge though. I know I've had quite a bit of problems forcing myself to do it.

I have a feeling that binding starts becoming an issue on the track, where it doesn't in the snow.

Not as much of an issue as you might think. Just my experience with it though...

Jeff that is the beauty, if you keep your foot in it the natural course of the 4x4 will keep it straight

Jeff that is the beauty, if you keep your foot in it the natural course of the 4x4 will keep it straight

yea I was just thinkin of being really out of shape. 4x4's don't like the wheel turned with power and even a slight amount of traction. Your bound to grenade something...

And no I haven't heard of any wrecks in the 4x4's..

I agree 100%

I'd take a 4wd if it's a street truck, a 4wd if it is Pro Street, and a 2wd if I could set the engine way back (tube chassis). A 4wd will still hook better if the track is slick usually....Ms.Misery has cut a 1.19 60ft time on 10.5's, so I think 4wd has some merit even in the higher categories but 2wd has many years of science behind it. Mud racers can supposedly cut 0.95-0.98 60ft times with 4wd, not sure why people can't do it on asphalt. Think it has something to do with weight transfer in the mud vs cement.

I'd take a 4wd if it's a street truck, a 4wd if it is Pro Street, and a 2wd if I could set the engine way back (tube chassis). A 4wd will still hook better if the track is slick usually....Ms.Misery has cut a 1.19 60ft time on 10.5's, so I think 4wd has some merit even in the higher categories but 2wd has many years of science behind it. Mud racers can supposedly cut 0.95-0.98 60ft times with 4wd, not sure why people can't do it on asphalt. Think it has something to do with weight transfer in the mud vs cement.

How heavy are mud racers??

Chris

I think that Ms Misery will be close to that.. they are still having some traction issues occasionally from what I have been reading. So they have had to soften up their launches a little bit. But they are continually working on that.. I love that truck

Why don't you 4wd guys just come out and say you are scared of the wall:poke::poke::lolly:

Jason I'm assuming the reason mud racers get better 60's is cuz they don't have that crazy amount of traction from pavement and lift the front so they would lose the front bite. Feel free to correct me.

While there's no doubt the r&d has been done in 2wd chassis by the gas crowd how much of that R&d is with a 750-1000+ lb motor in the front? Just some food for thought. No doubt spinning all of the 4x4 parts slows people down and as stated 4x4 is definitely the way to go for your normal street strip guy.

While there's no doubt the r&d has been done in 2wd chassis by the gas crowd how much of that R&d is with a 750-1000+ lb motor in the front? Just some food for thought. No doubt spinning all of the 4x4 parts slows people down and as stated 4x4 is definitely the way to go for your normal street strip guy.

They have been running BBC's in cars for years, and get them to hook like a mofo, the biggest difference I see is total weight of vehicle. It's really hard to compare a 2800lb Camaro with a 4000LB truck.

personally i think the battle between the two drive trainshas to do with mostly set up. it is possible to get a 2wd to hook lay down a good 60ft but it requires suspension set up as it does a 4wd. But if two trucks with the same amount of horsepower one being 4wd and one being 2wd race eachother the 2wd will pass the 4wd probably around the 1/8th if it set up right. the 2wd will not have to deal with the extra drag and wieght therefore it should easily pull on the topend. as for accidents, everyone has a chance of hitting the wall or avoiding the wall.. but in each case that requires the skill which im pretty sure anyone running that fast already has.

I don't know if anyone else read this but Ms Misery last weekend in Georgia ran a 1.06 60ft. the best 60 ft of the weekend out all the entire class. He qualified 9th out of 132 entries. He ran a 4.77 with the above 60ft. and the track temp. said it was 177 deg. Impressive!

I don't know if anyone else read this but Ms Misery last weekend in Georgia ran a 1.06 60ft. the best 60 ft of the weekend out all the entire class. He qualified 9th out of 132 entries. He ran a 4.77 with the above 60ft. and the track temp. said it was 177 deg. Impressive!
Does any one know if hes geting out powered on the big end or is he makeing the same amount?

Back