3/4 shift hunting and no over drive

Big Bertha

okay i have a 98 dodge 3500 12v with a 47re. its been a intermittent issue where i have 1-3 no issues but going into 4 she goes in and pops back out and does this for awhile and no OD at all. i know it can be a ground, power, tps, coolant temp, trans temp, basically anything. i have tach, speedo and engine temps all normal, im not sure about tps yet but going to check it, alter working fine and batteries are good. it doesnt happen all the time, just random times but it did it last night after it snowed. so any help, ideas, things others have done would be greatly appreciated. need help asap since i need to go out of town tomorrow and she is my only vehicle

sorry i forgot to say i also have a ats triple disc converter. its going into partical lock up then full lock up. just took it for a drive and i was able to get all the way to full lock up, shes hunting between 3, partial lock up and full lock up now.

TPS possibly sounds like to me. Mine did this same thing until I threw that pos away and did the pot mod.

1-3 are hydraulically actuated. 4th and converter lock up are electronic and the most common issue is the tps. All it is, is a variable resistor that changes voltage as you press into the pedal. If its on the fritz, it'll cut in and out causing the issues you explain.

Replace it with a dash controlled potentiometer from RadioShack or a complete kit from dnr customs if you don't wanna monkey with stuff.

I had the exact same problem. It was the brake switch. Figured it out when I went to install a brake controller.

I had this problem and I could unhook the alternator and everything worked great. I installed a noise filter in tps wiring still had sme problem. I hooked the big wire from alternator to the passenger side battery instead of it running through the harness to the pdc and it fixed it. A friend of mine who is the smartest electronics guy I've ever meet said that the battery would act like a capacitor and clean up the charging system input to the system anyway I fought this problem a long time but when I hooked the alternator up to the system this way it fixed my problem.

I had the exact same problem. It was the brake switch. Figured it out when I went to install a brake controller.

I thought this but when mine had the brake light switch go bad it lost all overdrive and lockup for good not off and on at times.

I have the same issue occasionally. I have heard 3 fixes for this. One using an inline filter on the wire by the alternator. Another just fixing the wires near the alternator away from it as that is the source of the induced current. Lastly the occasional cleaning of your battery grounds always fixes mine.

-BA

well the problem still remains, ive cleaned all the grounds under the hood. i wrapped the ground from the alt to the head in alum foil and everything. I did delete the trans heater box on the pass side of the engine a year and a half ago but i blocked the trans cooler with card board for the winter to keep heat, partial lock up and then full lock up usually only work in the mornings going 10 miles to where i meet my buddy to car pool to work, she sits all day either at his house plugged in or in a parking lot for 10-14hrs and on my way home its all messed up. i only have 1-3 and those 3 gears start hunting a bit but still all work, sometimes it will go into partial lock up and pop right back out and usually do this for some time on my 10 mile drive home, some times as i get closer to home i will get full lock up. this morning i got partial and full lock up about half way to where i meet my buddy. Kinda starting to piss me off and make me really want to do a manual swap. Tonight i will be getting my hands on a snap-on modius so hopefully i can see what is going on and fix it and i will be doing a trans fluid change but the fluid is still red and doesnt smell burnt. if anyone else has some ideas of what to try please let me know im starting to lose my mind on this one

Ok let us answer this yet again TPS!!!!!!!!!!!! Also reading back through your post it seems your so called partial lock up is just it hitting oerdrive then coming into lock up.

Last edited: