3.42 gears for AAM 11.5 and 9.25

RCCX

Need a sponsor
Does anyone know where I can get a 3.42 ring and pinion for a 04 dodge,it has a 11.5 and 9.25 from american axle.

Last I checked the highes gear (lowest numerical) was a 3.73. Something could have come out since then but I dont think so.

I think I remember reading a thread on the TDR about 3.42's. You might check there.

I just talked to Randys R&P the other day and he said about 6 months before they hit aftermarket.

I wander if you can get them through Chrysler Or GM since they are putting them in the newer trucks now.

i had a custom set made for my truck by genuine gear co. it cost me $1600 for those things. oh and buy the way, hope you have a big enough slidehammer for the front hubs-------thats the worst part by far.

DIESEL POWER said:
i had a custom set made for my truck by genuine gear co. it cost me $1600 for those things. oh and buy the way, hope you have a big enough slidehammer for the front hubs-------thats the worst part by far.

why not swap in Dana stuff?

That would be alot of $$$ to swap out AAM to Dana.

As of now 3.42 gears for 9.25 & 11.5 don't exist, thats cool if they are going to be available in 6 months. If your running out of gear run a taller tire.

I have already found the ring and pinion for the front,could have it in a 2 days or so,but the rear is the hard part.I spoke with aam and they said they should be released any day now.They released a run a few months ago,I have spoke with a few people that already have them.

So I take it your running out of RPMs, what size tire you running?

285/70/17 bfg all terrain,32.5" I think.The last pass I made I was rpm'ed out at the 1000' mark,explains the 122 mph.

Try some 35s j/k
Wonder how much off the line you will lose to gain on the top end with the higher gears?

Thought about that route,but I am trying to keep the weight to minimum.I dont really think the gears will hurt me down low,I actually think and I could be wrong that the gears might help me down by not having to shift as soon as it does now,I might be wrong,but I think its worth a shot.

Last edited:
WTF is so hard about making gears? How come none have come out. I'm sure plenty of guys with lifted rigs would have wanted gears by now.

They make 3.73 & lower gears, there isn't much of demand for 3.42 & higher

Stay with the smaller tire and go the gear change......big tires, too much weight. Shame you can't drop to a 31' tall tire.

Jim

The 9 inch ford is practically indestructible and gear ratios from 2.90 to 6.20. Charlie Stewart is building bolt in fabricated housing for trucks.

I use the shortest tire possible 28” and a 3.73 gear. This hurts MPH, but who cares about MPH , the gains in the 60’ and 330’ are well worth it . I am changing to a 4.33 or a 4.56 with a gear vendor for a 5th gear. I will guess a 60’ in the 1.50 range. On a 395 45 17 M&H drag radial .

COMP461 said:
The 9 inch ford is practically indestructible and gear ratios from 2.90 to 6.20. Charlie Stewart is building bolt in fabricated housing for trucks.

I use the shortest tire possible 28” and a 3.73 gear. This hurts MPH, but who cares about MPH , the gains in the 60’ and 330’ are well worth it . I am changing to a 4.33 or a 4.56 with a gear vendor for a 5th gear. I will guess a 60’ in the 1.50 range. On a 395 45 17 M&H drag radial .
A 9" may be good in a 2wd not a 4wd, a 395 M&H is 29.5" tall you aren't going to 60 1.50 unless the truck gets backhalfed.