3.42 gears for AAM 11.5 and 9.25

Noreaster said:
A 9" may be good in a 2wd not a 4wd, a 395 M&H is 29.5" tall you aren't going to 60 1.50 unless the truck gets backhalfed.

It’s already been 1.62 60' no spin, no chirp, just go, old Super stock tricks on a 2 wheel drive. Nothing but a Caltrac’s and spring tricks. Gear Ratio is what is needed to move the mass; you can't get enough first gear in one of these trucks.

We currently have a ½ ton rear in the truck for Speed trial events. its has held up fine , but we don’t hit on it hard off the line

http://video.competitiondiesel.com/video/8a0aeae1-098e-43cd-b45a-98ed001d38e8.htm

Last edited:
12vchevydually said:
corp 14 bolt a 1/2 ton axle are you?
14 bolts are sweet!

GM uses a light duty 14bolt rear it's a 9.5in ring gear, 33sp c clip axles, semi float and was avail with both 6 and 8 lug patterns depending if it was in a heavy half, or a light 3/4 truck. basically a junk axle.

the full floater 14 bolt was a bad ass unit, but was also heavy and horrible for ground clearance if you were worried about that.

I have come to the conclusion that I am not going to get the gears now,which really stinks,I have called everyone I could find and offered a premium price for someone to build these gears for me or find me someone who can get them.I have come to a stand still with my truck,I can get a better et with the truck but my last outing I was on the rev limiter at the 1000' mark,stuck at 122 mph.

RCCX said:
I have come to the conclusion that I am not going to get the gears now,which really stinks,I have called everyone I could find and offered a premium price for someone to build these gears for me or find me someone who can get them.I have come to a stand still with my truck,I can get a better et with the truck but my last outing I was on the rev limiter at the 1000' mark,stuck at 122 mph.

Have you contacted Alloy USA? alloy usa and precision gear are now one company, and the guy's at alloy are the best there is to deal with.

866-352-5569 and ask to speak with Eric...

DSI said:
Have you contacted Alloy USA? alloy usa and precision gear are now one company, and the guy's at alloy are the best there is to deal with.

866-352-5569 and ask to speak with Eric...

Thanks for the contact, I will call them today.

bdp said:
Taller tire?

I have considered putting a 35" tire on the truck,thats what I need to basically be the same as a 3.42 gear.I didnt want the extra weight of bigger tires,didnt want to lift the truck,and I am a little hesitant about going that fast on bigger tires.

COMP461, Is they grey truck yours? I love the way it looks. After reading about it in DIESEL POWER I wanted mine to look like it.
DIESEL%20STUFF%20024.jpg
I have the same size wheels/tires that it had when 3/4T axles were under it. I am in the same boat but mine is a six speed & only use top 4. I would love to be able to launch in 1st but would need even taller than 3.42. Those would probably allow me to use 2nd though. Mine is spent at about 115-3500rpm. I know where there is a wrecked duramax that is being parted, whats the chances it has 3.42 gears?

RCCX, did you ever get your gears?

Last edited:
stacerbob said:
COMP461, Is they grey truck yours? I love the way it looks. After reading about it in DIESEL POWER I wanted mine to look like it.
DIESEL%20STUFF%20024.jpg
I have the same size wheels/tires that it had when 3/4T axles were under it. I am in the same boat but mine is a six speed & only use top 4. I would love to be able to launch in 1st but would need even taller than 3.42. Those would probably allow me to use 2nd though. Mine is spent at about 115-3500rpm. I know where there is a wrecked duramax that is being parted, whats the chances it has 3.42 gears?

RCCX, did you ever get your gears?

All Duramax's had 3.73s as far as I'm aware.

~Wes~

Back