3.42 versus 3.73

wespruett

Cummins Fanatic
I'm looking at getting a 6.7L before the new body style makes its appearance....

It's gonna be a daily driver for awhile, but I'm sure down the road she'll end up far from stock.

Anyway.... what are the adv/disadv of the 3.42 versus 3.73? I think they came out with the 3.42 option so the G56 trucks rpms would 'match' the 3.73 68rfe's. It would seem to reason you'd get better mpg's at the expense of low-end pulling torque. I rarely tow so that wouldn't be an issue.

I've been looking at RCLB's and the ST's come with 245/70/17's while the SLT's come with 265/70/17's. Will the bigger wheels/tires get lower mpg's? what if any effects will there be on torque/traction?

Lastly-- I'm trying to decide on 4x2 or 4x4. I've got a 4x4 mega 5.9L but find with studded Nokian snow tires I rarely ever have to switch to 4WD. Other than better mpg's and lower resale, are there any additional ADV or DISADV of going with 4x2 over 4x4?

Any advice would be very helpful!
Thanks! Wes

Welcome to comp d These motors a lot torque so higher gears are not to bad of a penalty when towing for the fuel economy you will gain.

What about 4x2 versus 4x4? I know a lot of guys wouldn't consider having a 4x2, but are there advantages when it comes to go fast mods and fun at the track?

yea 4x4 will be better at the track less wheel spin, but it will hurt you in the fuel economy. If you want to play the 3.73 is better all around as far as tow race ect, the 3.42 is good for fuel economy but with the auto having such a big od like .64 or .62 (I think )you may not need a ratio with really long legs like a 3.42.

4X2 vs. 4X4 Depends on what exactly you want to do. I'v owned 2 wheel drive vehicles in Nebraska and currently Southern Kansas so I been through all weather. I would not own a 4X4 now mainly because there is more to break, IMO. As long as you don't get stupid with the skinny pedal when the weather sucks you should be ok. As for the drag strip most drag cars are two wheel drive and they hook fine. So there should be mods to get 2wd trucks to hook. Less weight with two wheel drive. Horsepower mods are for the engine and transmission mods are for the trans, not front axle or transfercase. I'm sure I will get slaughtered for this but it is just one opinion.

you need to decide weather your going with 2wd or 4wd now with the 2wd with the stock tire in a daily driver go with the 3.42 but the trucks even the 2wd look alot better with a 265 tire now with that tire you could still go with the 3.42 gear, now with a 4-4 i would go with the 3.73 gear and a 285 tire makes the truck look a truck no lift needed and still get decent mileage. And pulling power. So decide which one you want and then decide about the gear and your future tire sizes dont know many people that stay with the factory size tire on a 4-4 they most always go at least 1 to 2 sizes bigger. Hope this helps

I have run 3 CTD an 04 with 4:10's an 06 with 3:73's and now an 08 with 3:42's. I have 4K on the new one and love it, Its still stock except the GER is unplugged. But I pull 2 different trailers on is a 16K gooseneck and one is a 20K pintle tandem Dually I have not pulled any HEAVY loads yet but with the trailer plus 6K or so absolutely no problem. All of them have been 6sp sticks. the best I ever got in the 4:10's was 16 MPG the 3:73 18.6 to a road trip the other day from eastern panhandle of WV to solomons island, avg speed 80 round trip 330 miles used 15.4 gallons finished the tank off at 659 miles thats 19.96 MPG hand calculated at only 4K miles on the truck no MPG mods at all other than EGR plug fell out. Now I am gonna lift it a bit and run either 35's and 37's as well as run a full BlakTech performance upgrade package (intake horn, CAI, Intercooler tube, etc) so cant wait to see what it does then.:tree:

My 6 speed manual has 3.73 with 315/75/17 tires and the motor is red lined at 111. I wish I had 3.42 so top speed would be faster and rpm's would be lower at 70 mph. These trucks have so much bottom end I don't need the low gears.

same gears for SRW and DRW... just because Chrysler won't let you order that combo doesn't mean you can't make it