3406E build, got questions

So what kind of protrusion do you try to get out of them? If you go higher you shove the tops off the liners. Low shoots the gaskets. Where is the middle ground?

Monkey Fist Rage

This thread isn't giving me the warm fuzzy's about the c18 in our challenger tractor. Fricking love that engine and haven't touched a wrench to it. Hope it stays that way.

Quit being a ***** and make it happy!
u5ybaqem.jpg

When it gets to this point back it off a little.
du2a7epy.jpg

Last edited:
Why the repaint after the windowing?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Hmmm reading this thread makes me wonder how CAT will treat my boss if we ever have engine problems. They did platinum rebuilds on both our trucks with 600 injectors marine cam and PDI turbo and manifolds and gave us the 3 year warranty. They did specify we have to wait til they do the first overhead at 50k to tune them but said we're golden after that. His is an E model and mine is a C15.

Lol got a chub when you saw someone talking about a mechanical antique huh?

Eh, if my B doesn't run any better than it did before I rebuilt it then I think I'm gonna drop a bomb in the mf'er. It's pretty bad I have a big cam that will pull to a lower rpm than it will.

Honestly if it don't run right I will prolly sell the truck and go buy another K100 and build the E I have on the ground for it, or find me a K series and say eff the yellow paint. LOL

Nozzles are about the only thing that you will find different in the marine mechanicals than in the truck engines.

What 435s are you talking about, did you mean 425.

Yes I meant 425....

So what is there difference between a in the injection pump between a 7FB and a 4MG. The 7FB is rated at 400 hp with an intercooler and the 4MG is rated at 425 hp with an air to air charge cooler. Is there a difference in the pumps. I know there is more timing in the pump cam of a 7FB, is there anything else?

Looking at what hopes to be a 7FB or a 4MG intercooler motor this weekend!

Yes I meant 425....

So what is there difference between a in the injection pump between a 7FB and a 4MG. The 7FB is rated at 400 hp with an intercooler and the 4MG is rated at 425 hp with an air to air charge cooler. Is there a difference in the pumps. I know there is more timing in the pump cam of a 7FB, is there anything else?

Looking at what hopes to be a 7FB or a 4MG intercooler motor this weekend!

There are 7FB air to air engines, parts are all the same in the pumps except the torque groups and the pump cams have different part numbers because of the difference in timing pin holes. Air to water times at 24* and air to air at 21*, the timing changes again with the 4mg and I think the advance itself changed.

If it has a air to water it is a 7fb or a A model, unless someone did some major parts changing. Barrel and plunger size never changed in any of the pumps, just the design of them.

There are 7FB air to air engines, parts are all the same in the pumps except the torque groups and the pump cams have different part numbers because of the difference in timing pin holes. Air to water times at 24* and air to air at 21*, the timing changes again with the 4mg and I think the advance itself changed.

If it has a air to water it is a 7fb or a A model, unless someone did some major parts changing. Barrel and plunger size never changed in any of the pumps, just the design of them.

It is in an 89 Volvo. Which leads us to believe it is a 4MG intercooled. The owner is unaware of the first three of the serial number but is certain it is a B. I know how to tell the difference between and A and a B or a C model by the injection pump. But some investigating may have to take place to determine the serial number.

You are correct about the 7BF's with air to air. My dad had a 359 with a 7FB air to air.

Do you own the C18 in the top picture? Is that the one that Antrim diesel built?

No friend had Antrim build it for him. He's the reason I'm building one. My goal is to have mine in a W9 before him. Peer pressure is a beeoch.

I like the idea of you putting one in a W900. He's prolly putting thing in a Peterbilt, right?

That is a hell of a motor, I saw it at Antrim's last spring at the Dyno Days and a Keystone Nationals. It's pretty impressive. Is he just putting it in an over the road tractor?

I like the idea of you putting one in a W900. He's prolly putting thing in a Peterbilt, right?

That is a hell of a motor, I saw it at Antrim's last spring at the Dyno Days and a Keystone Nationals. It's pretty impressive. Is he just putting it in an over the road tractor?

No his is a W9 too but it's a complete restore of one he had. Was double frame and pulled a coal bucket. Now it's stretched and cab/sleeper is sitting on a trailer after a repaint waiting to be installed.

Yes just a road tractor.

C16 build, part questions

Just bought a new-to-me 69k tri drive cutoff to put onto our heavy haul Western Star. Help me get some extra power to get all those axles rolling!

Engine is a 2002 C-16, Ser # 7CZ02246, Perf Spec 198-3271. Looking to get it up to roughly 750-800 HP. Currently has a cummins turbo on it and injector codes on it from the old owner. The tune is an early 2000 file so I'm assuming it's already a pre low nox file, clarification would be helpful.

I'm thinking 58 injectors and a new turbo should get me pretty close to my goal. I've also decided on an exhaust manifold, any difference between PDI/bullidog/etc or should I just jump on the first good deal I come across for one?

Any recommendations on the turbo? I've heard bad things about the cummins turbo on this engine, I'm looking for something that can handle the power without being TOOO sluggish.

Can anyone get me the latest reman part numbers for 58 injectors? I've also heard some things about the fuel temp wire, any truth to it or is it just white smoke?

Thanks for all the help!

Last edited:
Fuel temp wire only helps when the fuel is cold. Electronics return so much they heat it up pretty fast.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk