3rd gen pulling suspension help please???

You've Seen Me pull Before. I'm sure you've seen me hop as well at mercer. Since Then I've learned A bunch of tricks to help me out And the last 8 pulls I 've been Placing in the top 5. Pm me your # and I'll tell ya what I've learned and gathered to get the truck to stick to the track with out squating and bouncing
And yes you need some good strong traction bars:rockwoot:

Everynow and then you will get bounce! I have bounced twice this year out of about 20hooks. Nothing to bad just a little bit off the line for the first 15 feet! you can't really see it but you can hear it on video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JK4sxVWioE&feature=user. Figured out when I'm at a pull I can't hang weight I bounce more but if I hang about 600 pounds off the front end it keeps me from bouncing!

Why, because he won't have hopping?

No, you can still hop.
However traction bars are part of the equation for any truck that pulls a sled.

So to give a proper answer he needs his truck to be setup right in the first place before we can really help him dial it in (or give him a proper answer).

yeah if you read i said getting some made then but will clamping leaf springs still be worth it?

This is my opinion, but the dodge springs are already pretty well clamped. They are significantly different than the way the chevy springs are setup. I don't think you would see as much benefit from clamping.
However it might be worth a try.

ETA: Oops, seen you already have them clamped.

Last edited:
how would one figure out proper gearing for h.p.

You have to add tires into the equation as well.

In general terms (IMO) a truck that runs a 6 speed manual
@400hp-500hp=4th low range
@600hp=2nd Gear high range

At a certain point with older trucks that have 5000rpm they can actually go down a gear at a certain power/rpm level (like 4th low in 6 speed or 3rd low in a 5 speed)
With the CR's limited to 4200rpm some have sucess with 5th low but often snuff the motor on the long end of the track.

This is all with a 33" tire. With a smaller tire you could probably bump up a gear for speed however on the tight tracks with aggressive tires stay safe and run the proper gear.

Sled weight, track conditions, hitch height, axis of the earth are other factors and so are full moons...

Last edited:
I would think I am clos to 600hp but have never had much sucess with 2nd hi. Truck just seems like it pulls better in 4th low. I can usually stay around 3800 rpm in 4th and usually fall to about 3500 in 2nd.

You have to add tires into the equation as well.

In general terms (IMO) a truck that runs a 6 speed manual
@400hp-500hp=4th low range
@600hp=2nd Gear high range

At a certain point with older trucks that have 5000rpm they can actually go down a gear at a certain power/rpm level (like 4th low in 6 speed or 3rd low in a 5 speed)
With the CR's limited to 4200rpm some have sucess with 5th low but often snuff the motor on the long end of the track.

This is all with a 33" tire. With a smaller tire you could probably bump up a gear for speed however on the tight tracks with aggressive tires stay safe and run the proper gear.

Sled weight, track conditions, hitch height, axis of the earth are other factors and so are full moons...

great info. Thanks!

He needs to things to help him.

1 Learn how to walk the truck out. The way you work the clutch has alot to do with why your truck hops. Both times I have seen him pull he did the samething. Side step the clutch. Bad idea! You to walk it out some. At least wait till you pull the frame down against your stops before letting her eat.

2 Traction bars. They really help. Have you ever seen my truck hop? I can do 4th gear burnout and it does not hop.

jw3 thanks for the info

johnboy i been practicing learning the hard way :) but its working out
going to make traction bars
and have i seen your truck hop no i only seen it pull once

hightech will be talking you you very soon

One thing that I noticed in my 3rd gen, it never wheel hopped at all until I put in suspension blocks. Then I think what was happening is the weight would rest on the blocks and the leave springs were basicly in a relaxed stage, causing alxe rap easier. Because a flat-compressed spring would be harder to flex then a relaxed spring. But now that I have my traction bars on that I built, I have never hopped once. I am a big beleiver in traction bars!

Everything that has been said is great info. Tire pressure is also a decent factor. Also I don't look at any gauges and I just listen and feel what the truck is doing. I slowly let the clutch out until the blocks have hit and the tires start spinning. I leave the line at 4100 and can usually keep it up there for the entire pull. Justin I tried 5th low with 35's and your right the charger snuffed prematurally.

Everything that has been said is great info. Tire pressure is also a decent factor. Also I don't look at any gauges and I just listen and feel what the truck is doing. I slowly let the clutch out until the blocks have hit and the tires start spinning. I leave the line at 4100 and can usually keep it up there for the entire pull. Justin I tried 5th low with 35's and your right the charger snuffed prematurally.

I leave at about 3900-4000 and i run 5th low just about on all tracks un less its tight. if its tight then i will snuff the charger early also and leave alot out on the track. I hate that feeling. i run 33s so i guess i can get away with it a little easier.

I leave at about 3900-4000 and i run 5th low just about on all tracks un less its tight. if its tight then i will snuff the charger early also and leave alot out on the track. I hate that feeling. i run 33s so i guess i can get away with it a little easier.

i leave the line in 2nd high 2800-3000 and hold 3500rpm down the track but i dont think that matters for what we are talking about

IMO that's kinda low for the rears and could certainly be contributing to el-bounco.

Leaving the line has alot to do with bounce. I air up the rears, and play with the fronts based on track bite. In 3 years of pulling, the truck has maybe hopped once, and you barely even notice it. I am guessing this is cause I don't have enough power to have that problem.

Back