3rd Gen Steed Speed Manifold Testing

carpenca

3rd Gen Steed Speed Manifold Test

Task:
To complete a same day back to back comparison of a stock 3rd Gen 5.9 Cummins manifold vs. a Steed Speed engineered bolt on replacement manifold.

Test Date: 11/8/12

Test Truck: 2005 Dodge 2500 5.9L Common Rail Diesel

Modifications:
-Bosch 100HP Motorsport Injector Nozzles
-Fleece HE351cw 63mm Billet Holset Cheetah Turbo
-Motorsport Diesel Stroker CP3
-Smarty SO-6 Tuning (Lvl 7)

Dyno: DC Chassis Dyno, Brownsburg, IN
-Dyno Jet 224XLC
-Indoor Climate Controlled

Dyno Runs:
Each dyno pull was started at 1300 RPM and ran until 1600 Degrees of Exhaust Gas Temperature.
Each pull would be replicated inside of these two parameters, in order to insure the same start and finish of each run.

Results: Sampled at Maximum output & at 2000 RPM

Base Line with stock Manifold Rating at 2000 RPM
-Max HP 656.79 @ 2950 RPM -HP 338.58
-Max TQ 1316.79 @ 2450 RPM -TQ 889.22

Steed Speed Manifold Rating at 2000 RPM
-Max HP 672.36 @ 3100 RPM -HP 482.82
-Max TQ 1355.20 @ 2300 RPM -TQ 1267.77

Overview:
The test truck was base lined at 11:30 AM Thursday November 8, 2012, with the modifications listed above and a stock 5.9 Cummins exhaust manifold. After installing the Steed Speed manifold the test truck was dynoed again at 4:30 PM November 8, 2012. A brief look at the results shows a decent gain in maximum output; 16 RWHP and 38 RWTQ. However a closer look shows a much broader power curve with peak torque coming in 150 RPM sooner, and peak horsepower carrying out another 150 RPM.

At 2000 RPMs the gains were much more significant, with an increase of 143.24 RWHP and 378.55 RWTQ as seen in the graph below. With the addition of the Steed Speed manifold, without any tuning changes, the truck was capable of pulling a more aggressive load profile on the dyno, whereas with the stock manifold the truck could not. Furthermore because of the apparent increase in flow, the truck was able to pull another 250 RPM before hitting our stopping point of 1600 Degrees, also illustrated in the graph.

On the street, the increase in low end torque and response was immediately noticed, as well as the trucks new distinct sound. EGT’s were down 100-300 degrees in normal “day to day” style driving. Overall the Steed Speed clearly did its job of increasing flow, and making more torque, evident in the graph below. More so the Steed Speed Manifold also reduced Exhaust Gas Temperature

These results are accurate for this particular truck, with the specified modifications installed. Different trucks with different modifications may have different results.

Interesting info....

Caleb

Attachments

• Steed_vs_Stock_Manifold.jpg
    Steed_vs_Stock_Manifold.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 0
Great comparison. I love my t6 comp header, even though all I have done is idled around the house.

I like the explanation and the fact you guys didn't sugar coat anything. The graph really tells all!!!!!! Great Job!

"without any tuning changes, the truck was capable of pulling a more aggressive load profile on the dyno"

Change the dyno load, change the curve. Dyno trickery to sell ****. (Not the manifold is ****....just the data)

Sorry to burst the bubble.

Last edited:
Very nice. One of these days I will get to order a steedspeed. Seams to be the best product available.

"without any tuning changes, the truck was capable of pulling a more aggressive load profile on the dyno"

Change the dyno load, change the curve. Dyno trickery to sell ****. (Not the manifold is ****....just the data)

glad i wasnt the only one who noticed that

Your not bursting any bubbles, your showing your ingnorance by implying that the load shoud have remained the same.

This is not the case. Its clearly visible in the graph on the stock manifold run that the truck was laboring to pull the load. The maximum stock manifold run was made at the greatest amount of load, the truck would pull until it did not gain more power. THATS THE POINT OF A LOAD CELL DYNO.

IF the Steed Speed manifold is able to increase flow, spooling the charger faster, making more torque, allowing the truck to be more capable to pull more load then; it is not a fair test until the truck up-fitted with a Steed Speed, ATS, PDI, or whoevers manifold, is pushed to the same standard of increasing load until the truck will no longer overcome. HENCE THE POINT OF A LOAD CELL DYNO

Being able to increase the load in a manner in which the truck will pull it, only illustrates the fact the manifold does flow better and does increase the area under the curve "useable power".

Caleb

Your not bursting any bubbles, your showing your ingnorance by implying that the load shoud have remained the same.

This is not the case. Its clearly visible in the graph on the stock manifold run that the truck was laboring to pull the load. The maximum stock manifold run was made at the greatest amount of load, the truck would pull until it did not gain more power. THATS THE POINT OF A LOAD CELL DYNO.

IF the Steed Speed manifold is able to increase flow, spooling the charger faster, making more torque, allowing the truck to be more capable to pull more load then; it is not a fair test until the truck up-fitted with a Steed Speed, ATS, PDI, or whoevers manifold, is pushed to the same standard of increasing load until the truck will no longer overcome. HENCE THE POINT OF A LOAD CELL DYNO

Being able to increase the load in a manner in which the truck will pull it, only illustrates the fact the manifold does flow better and does increase the area under the curve "useable power".

Caleb

Isn't that the same procedure for dynoing an engine on a stand?? Basically load it till stall?

Not trickery.. It's plain and simple. The curve was dialed in to make the most load and still actually get the charger to light and make a run without fogging out.

Then the manifold was swapped, same run was made, and then he kept backing the load up until the truck would just pull it.

It's about the closest thing you can get to a lugback test, the industry standard for rating engines, and calibrating for smoke control.

The manifold didn't make more than 20hp / 35 lbft of torque at peak so no reason to portray it as trickery... Power and torque are about area under the curve, and with the steedspeed setup on this truck, and the previous setup on an identical truck at a stop light, the old setup would get it's a$$ waxed. That's what it's about!!

Brayden

Caleb

No....what I see is a run that was done with not enough load to fully load and fuel.

Then I see a run with More load % (that you admitted to) and wow look more area under the curve......:doh:

Totally remove the load and make a pull just on inertia and were did all my area under the curve go????

Totally ignorant...yeah ok. I count my time on my own super flow in tanks of fuel.

I guarantee you a engine dyno that was swept down would not show that "area under the curve" at all.....LOL

Exact same dyno BS I see out of guys pushing charger wheels.

I can make the exact same change in curves by just changing load % NOTHING ELSE. For my money timed loaded sweeps like you can do on the Superflow or nothing. Sweep rate the same as you would see DD or at the track.

Last edited:
so its left to the operator to gauge what the truck can or can no pull out of?

No....what I see is a run that was done with not enough load to fully load and fuel.

Then I see a run with More load % (that you admitted to) and wow look more area under the curve......:doh:

Totally remove the load and make a pull just on inertia and were did all my area under the curve go????

Totally ignorant...yeah ok.

Chase doesn't take it easy on anything on the dyno.. The first run is all that it would pull.... Believe what you want.. Not our truck, not our manifold, no reason to fluff it. Just testing parts the way that they're supposed to. Anyone who prefers an inertia run on a turbodiesel needs their head examined. You don't street race, drag race or sled pull with your wheels off the ground free reving to the moon, why test that way?

so its left to the operator to gauge what the truck can or can no pull out of?

Simplest terms here..

If the truck won't pull the load (hill) then you downshift... .. Get it?

If it does, you make the hill steeper until you can't pull it. At that point you are testing the engine to it's max potential. Just like factory.

Brayden

Btw, the actual load profile didn't change, the mph that it starts at is lowered.. so it loads earlier and earlier IF THE TRUCK CAN PULL IT

JOE.. Why do you even care? And yes we push our wheels because they make power. Proven. No other holset 63mm charger out there has ever touched 700hp.

Last edited:
Your right I don't care. But I know what I see as I've done the exact same thing on my dyno using load%.

The final tattle, you want to sell me that anything resembling a stock charger AND on the stock manifold is peaking torque at 2500!

I don't care how the bottom of that graph got botched but that charger on a stock manifold peaks way below that and that again is telling me it didn't get the load it needed to produce the correct power curve.

BTW I have a t6 competition steed mounted right now and they are a work of art. Nothing against steed.

Carry on.

I wonder what the dyno would look like if the dyno settings were left alone and the stock manifold went back on? Would the engine just struggle and die?

Regardless of nit picking I've heard from the truck owner and he is in no doubt about the truck running way stronger so that is good enough for me!

Last edited: