3rd gen turbo on a 2nd gen?

stovepipe22

got 99 24v can i put a 3rd gen turbo on it? if so whats involved and is it worth the trouble? thanks

Well to 98% of people I think the opinion would be not worth it, but BigBlue24 has wet dreams at night about his 3rd gen turbo on his 2nd gen. So I think it would depend on what are your uses and future plans for the truck?

man, y'all won't let up! LOL! 450-500rwhp isn't out of the question on an 04.5+ turbo on a 3rd gen (albeit pretty toasty)

it IS an upgrade over the HX35 compressor

man, y'all won't let up! LOL! 450-500rwhp isn't out of the question on an 04.5+ turbo on a 3rd gen (albeit pretty toasty)

it IS an upgrade over the HX35 compressor
But he's got like $500 invested. With patience that will get you a HX40, and better drive pressures.

And it's funny how horny he gets over it:hehe:

well, you can get one for under $300 if you shop around, and an HX40 is still going to need a new downpipe. and I think the 04.5+ turbo is probably a little stronger than a 40! LOL

I just replaced a HX35 with HX40 on my truck and it is a better turbo in my opinion. and I did not notce more lag, it actually spools up quickly!

It is worth it as a tad smaller than stock upgrade. Big Blue 24 dynos more than the lowly BgBlDodge with it.

well, you can get one for under $300 if you shop around, and an HX40 is still going to need a new downpipe. and I think the 04.5+ turbo is probably a little stronger than a 40! LOL
True. I've seen used 40s with DP for $500-$600, and I'm figuring in the work to make the third gen turbo hook up, time is money. And won't a 04.5+ turbo need a new DP too?

Not trying to say that it ain't worth it, just that it ain't worth it to me.

I wasted a whole day turning wrenches to make it work just right. I wasted about two days ordering parts, shooting emails, and doing basic leg work research. Time spent on your hobby is time invested in happiness.

Others have routed the cold piping differently and saved a few bends and "s" curves. If you plan to use the wastegate, re clocking the compressor housing requires inventing a new wastegate spring bolt controller setup.

If you only throw 450 HP worth of fuel at it, you could spot weld the wastegate shut and never worry about it.

Downpipe cost me about 40 bucks between buying an 18" piece of 4"flex and two 4" flat clamps. I did sell my 4" MBRP downpipe for 75 bucks so the down pipe was about a wash if you end up buying someone's old 3rd gen downpipe and clamp to make the first 12" of your plumbing.

Lots of 3rd gen's over 500 HP with the 04.5-07' turbo. It can live a long life in the 40-45 psi range. HX 40's tend to get iffy above 40 psi.

I wasted a whole day turning wrenches to make it work just right. I wasted about two days ordering parts, shooting emails, and doing basic leg work research. Time spent on your hobby is time invested in happiness.
I'm a cynic, I can work 3 extra days and use that money to get a II/HTT turbo.

But seriously, if you are happy with it, and what you have invested in it (time/money) than rock on:D