400+ hp 1st Gen Towing twins

How come not a smaller compressor wheel s400 over the 366? Like a 466 or 464? Just curious? Like a 466 with a 1.10 or 1.0 housing with the 83 turbine ?

The s471/83 and K31 hybrid actually spool as good or better than the 366. See this thread for some comparisons: Back to back testing -- Results - CompD The 464 isn't always that great either. If a s400 frame turbo works better all around, is similar in price, and could be directly replaced with something larger later it gets my vote.

Last edited:
There are a lot of different housings for the s400s.
Found these 2 on Carls website.

72/96/1.32 or a 72/83/1.10

The 2nd would spool faster, correct?

Check out this quote by RonA (found here):
Depends on your power level. I ran an SPS62/ over 75/96/1.32 for a while and it was ok. I swapped a 75/83/1.1 in and it was one of the best setups I ever had. I was just over 700hp at the time and it daily drove/towed great. Spooled up really fast though and liked to light tires up. Not that it's a really bad thing, but it is harder on parts. At 700 or less I would run the smaller turbine and exhaust side. Turbo is smaller and lighter too.

RonA

If the 83 wheel was an improvement at 700hp I would think it would be far better at lower power levels.

People like the HT3Bs and s475/96s because they are easy to find and are cheap. But if you look much better turbos can easily be found just as cheap.

Thank you white Knight. that is some good info.

Im leaning more towards the 83/1.10 in case I wanted to upgrade injectors down the road.

Totally forgot about the k31.

The s471/83 and K31 hybrid actually spool as good or better than the 366. See this thread for some comparisons: Back to back testing -- Results - CompD The 464 isn't always that great either. If a s400 frame turbo works better all around, is similar in price, and could be directly replaced with something larger later it gets my vote.

I completely agree. See post #6. S400s are more robust as well.

Good info White Knight. Was just mainly curious how it went from a 366 primary to a 471 primary. Which is why I asked about doing the smaller 400 compressor instead of the 366. Which with your info, I can see why.

So if I go with the 472, should I go looser on the turbine side(bigger then 1.1) to help spool up?

^just read this in another thread.

Last edited:
I've not tried all the combos that others have, but an HX55 can make a decent and reasonably priced primary in a 400 hp set of compounds.

I bought a 55 used for 180 and it needs a lot of work. Plus they have weird flanges, which would make it a pain to upgrade later.

I'm going to go with the 72/83/1.1

Just need to find a vendor.

I believe Keating Machine offers the T4i flange to twin a Holset charger. At least a local guy came into the shop and had twinned a first gen with a 351 and an HX52 and said he got the T4i flange made from Keating Machine.

Ive decided to go with the hx55 I have to save moneys. Its getting rebuilt right now.

Just waiting on my buddy to cut me out a t4I flange and then I can start. I have 95% of the parts.
Should be fairly easy to do. Already dropped the pan and welded a bung in. Manifold is flipped as well, so only thing to fab is hot/cold pipes, a new downpipe to meet my 5" exhaust, oil supply and that's it. (yeah right)

Ill make sure to start a build thread.

Hope my 5x14s are enough fuel.

Back