44 Foot Trailer, option recommendations

Garret, figure 15% on the toungue, so 3K toungue weight for a trailer that weighs 20K loaded. So say the trucks weigh 16K and the trailer weighs 7K, just make sure you have 3K on the toungue, and your back to 20K on the trailer. Make sense?

-Tom

Bobcat, call your local state police headquarters. Ask to talk to someone who is well versed in the state DOT regulations. That is the smartest ways to get the answers you are looking for. Don't take someone else's opinion for it because the tickets when you get into the "big trailer" world are NOT cheap!!! With my farm tagged truck and farm tagged trailer in OK I can haul anything I want as long as I'm within 150 miles of my farm. That don't mean I can over load it, but it keeps me from getting a CDL. And if you get DOT numbers for your rig I think you may be required to purchase commercial insurance for your rig as well. Do some checking. It varies from state to state and check the states you will travel through as well if you can. Some leg work up front will save you an enormous ticket down the road! Good luck. I'd love to be able to buy a new trailer like that.

Tcolesanti said:
Garret, figure 15% on the toungue, so 3K toungue weight for a trailer that weighs 20K loaded. So say the trucks weigh 16K and the trailer weighs 7K, just make sure you have 3K on the toungue, and your back to 20K on the trailer. Make sense?

-Tom

Got it! Just priced out a Sure-Trac Trailer with all the goodies..
They figure trailer capacity with 10k axles is 17k because 8-9k for trailer weight assuming 6k on the truck..
12k axles would up the capacity to 21k.

10K Dexter's will handle it just fine;) Been up over 35K gross with a 30' 20K rated trailer. On it's second set of brakes, but that's it!

I second (or third:D) the Semi idea, even if it's an FL80 or similar (stay away from 3126 CAT's though!)...register it as an RV, the trailer will hold up better, the truck will last longer, and you'll be more happy and safer when towing;) Not any harder to drive once you're used to it, and it'll have more power AND brakes for what you're hauling!

One more thing about a CDL...once you have one, watch your driving. Points for violations count double;);) Definitely get one though, it won't hurt at all even in a pickup and trailer.

You spoke of the rear ramps, having to fold them. On a hydraulic tail you don't fold anything. Just load the truck on the ramp/tail and lift into place. You can use every inch of the trailer. Though, I would get a Brake Smart brake controller or something like it.

I have slide in ramps on my gooseneck. It allows use of every inch of the trailer.

Burner said:
You spoke of the rear ramps, having to fold them. On a hydraulic tail you don't fold anything. Just load the truck on the ramp/tail and lift into place. You can use every inch of the trailer. Though, I would get a Brake Smart brake controller or something like it.

I plan on using stand-up ramps.

Remember, anything you stand up and leave up catches wind and creates even more drag. I like to fold my ramps back over on the desk and strap them down so they don't catch air and don't rattle to beat the band on every expansion joint. Slide-outs suck, but they are also not in the way if you have to hang something over the end of the trailer either. Options options options.... you gotta love it! :D

4x4dually said:
Remember, anything you stand up and leave up catches wind and creates even more drag. I like to fold my ramps back over on the desk and strap them down so they don't catch air and don't rattle to beat the band on every expansion joint. Slide-outs suck, but they are also not in the way if you have to hang something over the end of the trailer either. Options options options.... you gotta love it! :D

With 2 trucks on the trailer I won't be to worried about drag :)

I know. Just trying to help you think of everything for the perfect trailer. You know you'll be helping everyone move right???? :D

4x4dually said:
I know. Just trying to help you think of everything for the perfect trailer. You know you'll be helping everyone move right???? :D

:) Appreciated.

Do you think slide-out ramps will hold up?

I have slide outs on mine. Only drawback is that it wants to lift the front of the trailer when I load the truck. I have loaded and unloaded the truck with the trailer unhooked. It just lifts the tongue in the air and I just back off of the ramps slow and ease the tongue back down.

I have a 24 foot trailer that I haul trucks on, and it has 3 inch channel ramps that are 6 foot long. I have loaded four door 4 wheel drive ford's and they are still nice and straight. They slide in from the rear of the trailer. Jeremy.

Mount a screw down jack on both rear corners of your trailer that pivots up and pins. Then you can swing them down and drop them to keep your trailer from moving. This makes up for the anchors that are usually found on the bottom of the foldup ramps that keep this from happening. Unless you unload a #22K pettibone loader in gravel. Then the ramps will flip up and pick the back of your pickup up in the air about 2 feet. Ask me how I know... :D

TXDSLSHOP said:
I have a 24 foot trailer that I haul trucks on, and it has 3 inch channel ramps that are 6 foot long. I have loaded four door 4 wheel drive ford's and they are still nice and straight. They slide in from the rear of the trailer. Jeremy.

Those must be some short trucks to get two on a 24 foot trailer.:umno:

I got some specs on the slide-out ramps... They have a 5k capacity each and weigh 80-90lbs each.
5k is decent, but if I want to haul something heavier than a truck I don't want to be limited by my ramps.

I am going to see if they can build me set of stand up ramps that will also fold up and over to lay on the deck when I'm only hauling one truck.

I will be ordering the trailer Tuesday.

Back