47RE early upshift?

Have you actually looked at the TV lever while someone works the throttle to see if it is moving I had a broken TV cable on my 97 & it acted just like yours new cable fix it

Yes.. I have.. I had someone hold it at full throttle so I could adjust it properly..

Is it possible the governor pressure/temp transducer could cause this?

Yes.. I have.. I had someone hold it at full throttle so I could adjust it properly..

Is it possible the governor pressure/temp transducer could cause this?

Get a scanner and a gage on it. I guess you can keep swapping parts. Did the new VB reuse the electronics out of the old VB?

Might even drop the pan and make sure the TV lever is working right. No TV pressure can take out a trans in short order.

You might also want to clean & put dielectric grease on the pcm connections

Get a scanner and a gage on it.. Already Done.. Everything is fine..
I guess you can keep swapping parts. :shake:
Did the new VB reuse the electronics out of the old VB? Yes. Both shift solenoids and the governor temp/pressure transducer. The Governor Solenoid and complete retrofit governor housing was replaced with a DELPHI unit..

delphi1.jpg

delphi2.jpg

Ok well here's the story. Governor pressure seemed ok with the scanner, but was a little higher than it should be. At 30mph governor pressor was 60psi according to the scanner. I got a analog gauge hooked up to it last night and at 30 mph governor pressure was almost 90psi. The line pressure is spot on. The governor pressure is too high and overcoming the line pressure and actuating the shift valves too early. I'm thinking it's a bad PCM at this point.

ok well I swapped my PCM with a good/ used PCM and it still does the same thing.. wtf.. I don't get it..

I would talk to who did the VB. You will see higher governor pressures as that is why you have to put a diode, resistor etc. Have you tied the TV valve all the way back yet? That should delay the shifts some. Same Transmission case?

Do you still have lock up and OD? I think I remember you saying yes. You have switched gov solenoids correct?

Last edited:
The pictures you posted, that isn't the actual VB is it?

I would talk to who did the VB. You will see higher governor pressures as that is why you have to put a diode, resistor etc. Have you tied the TV valve all the way back yet? That should delay the shifts some. Same Transmission case?

Do you still have lock up and OD? I think I remember you saying yes. You have switched gov solenoids correct?

The pictures you posted, that isn't the actual VB is it?

It's a BD valve body that replaced a Suncoast.
Same Trans Case
Still Lock-up and OD
The Governor Solenoid is now a Delphi Unit
The pictures posted are NOT my valve body
I have not wired the throttle valve back, I don't see the reasoning.

I understand what you're saying about the resistor, but a 30 psi difference?
Governor pressure should remain constant with MPH up to like 35MPH. Correct?

My understanding is:
1-2 shift- 17-20psi (17-20mph)
2-3 shift- 28-30psi (28-30mph)

Computer is reading:
30psi at 20mph
60psi at 30mph

With an analog gauge attached I had:
40 psi at 20MPH
~80psi at 30MPH

The reason for wiring the TV back is it should delay the shifts. The reason I suggested talking to the VB manufacturer was to get their suggested pressure readings.

What I saw on the VB pictured is that is a newer style gov pressure sensor. The older ones are metal.

The reason for wiring the TV back is it should delay the shifts. The reason I suggested talking to the VB manufacturer was to get their suggested pressure readings.

What I saw on the VB pictured is that is a newer style gov pressure sensor. The older ones are metal.

I know it would delay the shifts, but it would be covering up my problem, dont you think?

Governor pressure remains OEM spec. Line pressure is increased...

It might cover up the problem, but it could also see if your TV pressure is behaving as it should. Gov pressure is just PWM line pressure, so if line pressure goes up, so does gov pressure somewhat. If you don't have TV pressure wouldn't that allow short shifting? It will as I have seen that happen when the TV lever is not operating as it should. One of the reasons they mod the TV pressure is to work with increased line , to allow it to work with gov pressure. My suggestion is talk to someone who knows more than VB than I do. It has been several years since I have messed with the pressure settings.

It might cover up the problem, but it could also see if your TV pressure is behaving as it should. Gov pressure is just PWM line pressure, so if line pressure goes up, so does gov pressure somewhat. If you don't have TV pressure wouldn't that allow short shifting? It will as I have seen that happen when the TV lever is not operating as it should. One of the reasons they mod the TV pressure is to work with increased line , to allow it to work with gov pressure. My suggestion is talk to someone who knows more than VB than I do. It has been several years since I have messed with the pressure settings.

I checked line pressure while driving and the Throttle Valve is working properly. I have 90psi in drive at idle and 170 psi at WOT in Lockup, just as it's supposed to be.. I'm working on this problem very closely with probably the best transmission guy in the area. We are both stumped.. I think I may just change the Governor transducer just for the hell of it at this point..

Back