47re HARD LESSON LEARNED

Check the orifice size in any of the fittings you added. Some of the high pressure hydraulic fittings have very thick walls and small holes. May need to drill them out to a larger size to maximize flow.

I assume you ditched the drain back valve? I've heard of those jamming up and plugging the line to the cooler.

No drain back valve on this dosnt have lines to the radiator just a cooler in front of radiator, orifice is plenty big I could get my pinky in it.

Hey Neil ya it suks I would but don't have the time or patients to do it again, how's ol blackie treatn ya

Fluid is baked smells horrible, not saying the cooler or hose was the culprit just saying after deleting the other coolers it went to hell

Burnt HyGard fluid is BY FAR the worst automotive smell I've ever had the pleasure of encountering. It lingers worse than literally any other smell that I've dealt with.

Hope you get the trans sorted out. I finally got mine running again (with an aftermarket cooler and rubber lines).

I used -8 line from the trans ports to the factory heat exchanger but i relocated it to the front crossmember under the radiator. From it i went to the factory trans cooler and back to the trans. I tried to post pics but im new and couldnt figure it out.:doh:

Ya like to see pics of it, hygaurd is the worst smell my garage still smells like it and the cab too nasty

Hey Neil ya it suks I would but don't have the time or patients to do it again, how's ol blackie treatn ya

lol "Neal" and she runs great, just about needs new tie rods, they are nearly shot other than that it runs as mean as its been, itll be gettin new 6x16 injectors, a cam, and a triple disk clutch in the spring or summer. we drove it to nebraska for christmas and got 22-24 mpg runnin 70-80 and gettin on it here and there. starts great in the cold no problem or shakin, ive added some touches of my own to it, it likes to just get swideways on me in the snow for some reason :Cheer:

Last edited:
have you considered a derale pan, or something similar that increases capacity and cooling

I would imagine your converter was not locking up proper. If your converter was locked up you should never of been this hot. I ditched my heat exchanger 3 years ago and added a big cooler and have never been over 220 even racing. There is a lot to be said about a good converter. Lockup is key when driving hauling and towing. That and if you didn't use the proper lines for transmission fluid it could of just stuffed the cooler and you were not getting enough fluid flow

I'm betting the lining in the lines came apart. Especially so soon after doing the change over. I've sold and put in quite a few aftermarket coolers and always used a tranny specific line or Russell braided line and AN fittings and have never had an issue. I usually use the derale coolers that have the fans on them.

That does suck though man. Have you had a chance yet to pull the lines and cut em open to check em out?

No haven't checked them yet I'm thinking it's possible like I said earlier it was pushing fluid past the clamps on the cooler like it had no were to go

The hose I got from napa was for oil and hi temps but you know how that goes, zstroken that's a good idea that stuffs xpensive but so is a tranny ha

The hose I got from napa was for oil and hi temps but you know how that goes, zstroken that's a good idea that stuffs xpensive but so is a tranny ha

I picked up some ready made stuff and it wasn't that bad. The swivel fittings are salty!

I swapped in a 47rh with 2 coolers in front of radiator and running a deep pan, I have to try very hard to get temps to 160. I did have problems in the beginning when I first installed everything my temps would spike over 200. I believe that was due to have air in the system or slipping. Since the rebuild I have had zero problems with temps. My lines are just regular rubber transmission hose.

I'm just wondering if the Hy guard filter you put in line was causing too much restriction to flow. Might want to install it as a bypass filter. Is it an external filter in line with the coolers?