47RE issue.

ComnRailPwr

Im new to the auto world and vp trucks at that. all the diesels i have ever owned have been common rail or ford stick trucks. i know common rail and NV trannys inside and out but have a 47RE now and need to expand my knowledge.

the tranny has been built with converter and different clutches. i believe the rest is stock. the truck wont move when first started in any gear unless u wait a couple minuits at idel or you give it lots of pedal and then it like finally catches. shifts and runs fine when warmed up to operating tempature. what causes thes??

Converter drain back. Let it idle in neutral for 30secs or so before you first drive it. They removed the check valve in the line to help flow. Nothing major.

well thats good to hear. i thought i was gettin ready to have tranny issues. thanks bud.

or just replace or clean 1 way valve, then when u cold start and want to go, it will

Throw it in nutral before you take off so fluid runs thru the trans. you should be letting your truck run and circulate fluid for a minute anyway.

Dom

i agree with you TwiztedMetal. it,s just for others when they drive it(girlfriend), i dont want them floring it then breaking something. where is to check valve at so i can inspect it or see if it is even there?? also where is a good place to get a vacume diagram/Service manual for the truck. i only have one for an 03. my cruise dont work. it may be due to haveing a front axel out of a 95 under it. there if a plug under the radiator shroud i noticed wasn't plugged to anything. i dont get a light or nothing. it is a mechanical actuated cruise i know that much. also anything special in dropping the OD unit i need to know about. seems to have a leak where it mates to the tranny. truck was lacking lots of tlc but i only gave 4500 for it with 140K. couldnt pass it up ya know..

Last edited:
Yeah, the overdrive unit houses a massive spring which is very powerful...head relocation powerful. If you want to rebuild it have a trans shop do it. A spring compression tool is needed and some other tools...

well crap. it works fine just a seal somewhere around where it mates to the tranny is leaking that i wanted to stop while it was under the knife.

There is nothing special about dropping the overdrive unit. The massive spring that these guys are talking about is inside the overdrive unit but there is virtually no risk from this spring as long as you don't disassemble the OD unit. And don't worry about accidentally disassembling it, you can't unless you have a press or other homemade device to compress the spring enough to free the snap ring that holds it in place.

A really common leak point on these tranny's is the connection between tranny case and transfer case, make sure oil isn't coming from there before you go through the small hassle of removing the 5 or 6 bolts that hold the OD assembly to the rest of the main transmission case.

The converter drain back is a spring and ball located in the brass fitting of the rubber line in the return side going to rear of case.most shops that remove the drain back valve add a sonnax manual valve in the valvebody to prevent drain back issues being that the 47re trans does not fill the converter in park. also there is a seal on the back of trans and one for transfer case you can pull off your tc and fix your leak, no gasket or sealent needed between the two because there is a weep hole to let u know if it leaks

There is nothing special about dropping the overdrive unit. The massive spring that these guys are talking about is inside the overdrive unit but there is virtually no risk from this spring as long as you don't disassemble the OD unit. And don't worry about accidentally disassembling it, you can't unless you have a press or other homemade device to compress the spring enough to free the snap ring that holds it in place.

A really common leak point on these tranny's is the connection between tranny case and transfer case, make sure oil isn't coming from there before you go through the small hassle of removing the 5 or 6 bolts that hold the OD assembly to the rest of the main transmission case.

thanks. i will powerwash it and make sure. i just know that while i am putting the head back on at the moment there is getting a small puddle of tranny fluid which is coming from spot x and dripping on the crosmember then too the floor. just bought the truck and it went under the knife befor i drove it any.

The converter drain back is a spring and ball located in the brass fitting of the rubber line in the return side going to rear of case.most shops that remove the drain back valve add a sonnax manual valve in the valvebody to prevent drain back issues being that the 47re trans does not fill the converter in park. also there is a seal on the back of trans and one for transfer case you can pull off your tc and fix your leak, no gasket or sealent needed between the two because there is a weep hole to let u know if it leaks

sounds good. where is this said weep hole to determine if what seal is leaking? tranny/tc mounting location or tranny and od unit mounting location

The weep hole is at the bottom between transfer case and od housing bad part is you cain't tell what seal is bad until you pull off tc so I would replace both seals since it's apart anyway

The weep hole is at the bottom between transfer case and od housing bad part is you cain't tell what seal is bad until you pull off tc so I would replace both seals since it's apart anyway

It may be redneck, but on my 47re that I rebuilt/beefed up over the Thanksgiving Holiday, I siliconed the tranny to the transfer case and filled the weep hole with red silicone. That way if the tranny leaks, it fills the transfercase a little, if the transfer case leaks, it probably wont make it past the seal in the back of the tranny so it will just sit in the small area between the cases rather than make a wet spot on my driveway.

By the way, I did have the proper gasket for the tranny/transfer case connection, I decided to go for the leak-free red silicone setup.

That would be redneck!! because if the trans seal is the one leaking with the weep hole plugged it just won't leak a little the trans will keep leaking and force the trans fluid into the tc eventually overfilling the tc and causing the trans to run low of fluid and burning up the trans, maybe thats why those highly paid engineers put the weep hole there in the first place.

agreed dirtpoor. thanks for advise guys. will get the head back together this wknd and then start troubleshooting the tranny leak, AC and cruise. im sure ill be back with more ??

That would be redneck!! because if the trans seal is the one leaking with the weep hole plugged it just won't leak a little the trans will keep leaking and force the trans fluid into the tc eventually overfilling the tc and causing the trans to run low of fluid and burning up the trans, maybe thats why those highly paid engineers put the weep hole there in the first place.

I don't know about your personal frequency in checking the tranny fluid level but I check mine once every-other fill-up or once every 1000 miles. If a slight leak developed, I would catch it long before extra fluid even made it to the transfer case. You have to remember both the transmission output and the transfer case input shaft have seals so in order for fluid to transfer from one to the other, it would have to push past one seal, leak a large enough quantity to fill the small cavity between the two cases, then push through a second seal.

A second thought, the T-Case will only hold an extra quart before it would be entirely filled and would leak fluid at the rear output shaft seal.

I don't anticipate I will have any problems from using silicone to seal the tranny and transfer case to eachother. In fact, this is a common practice at some trannsmission and 4x4 shops.

If I had a vehicle with an annoying leak between the t-case and tranny, and I went through the trouble of pulling them, I would definitely install new seals and still seal the two together with silicone.

not trying to ruffel any tail feathers just giving the correct advice but I do have to correct you on one thing I'm a transmission rebuilder and have been for over 25+ years and that is not common practice because if we built that trans and pluged the weep hole and later out of warranty they took it to another shop with trans burned up due to low of fluid and tc overfull they could sue for the repair due to sub-standard work,

i got it appart and purchased both seals along with output seal. one question. where the transfer case seal flange bolts on the the t case, should there be a gasket there or just silicone. pulled that flange off to change the seal and there was silicone between that and tc. i am not a fan of silicone so i think im going to make a gasket to go there. napa couldnt seem to find one??

No gasket silicone only we use ultra black also make sure both surfaces are oil&grease free

Back